Thermaltake ToughPower 700w

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
If you read up on forums and user reviews, many TT ToughPowers 700w and up perform well, but many have an annoying crackling/hissing on one of the 12v rails when running 3D apps. I've experienced it myself with the 850w version and find it unbearable.

I'd suggest the OCZ 700w. Mine works great and I've yet to hear a bad thing.

Andelin

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I bought the OCZ 700 Gamer Extreme and the thing crapped out on me in 2 weeks. I then refunded for the TT ToughPower 750 and haven't had one prob with it. Been up and running for 3 months now. I haven't experienced that annoying "crackling " sound your talking about. In fact it's rather quiet imo.

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Tar for input guys.

If i do hear anything i'll just refund it under garantee...Specialtech.co.uk are usually quite good about it

randomizer

Champion
Ive got that psu, no probs with it at all. Its nice that it continues to suck out air from the pc for a minute or so after you shut down, keeps everything nice and cool.

EDIT: Hey, Ive got 1 post for every day of the year 8)

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Ive got that psu, no probs with it at all. Its nice that it continues to suck out air from the pc for a minute or so after you shut down, keeps everything nice and cool.

Luck of the draw then I guess. It's really baffling to me why the PSU is the most likely part in a PC to be a dud or crap out on you. This has been my experience at least... With my previous build I went through 3, and with my last built one quit about a year in. All other parts in those PC (mobo, RAM, HD etc.) were golden and still working today. I mean, it's not like PSUs are complicated or high-tech relative to other components. Maybe it's because "bad" PSUs are never properly refurbished when sent back to manufactuers, and just put back out to market.

In every other high-power appliance or piece of electronics I can think of, it's usually another component that has tendancy to fail (regardless of a "clean" power source). My parents have had a refrigerator since the 70s with the same power and that still works FFS par exemple. Maybe it's just my naivité about pw requirements for PC's, but it would be great if someone with more insight than I could explain this inigma.

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
I can't speak for other manufactures but thermaltake don't make all the components inside the PSU themselves. If they accidently put in a bad batch of cheap chinese crap to their PSUs then they gots a problem.

And a PSU will be much more sensitive to power than an electric motor from a fridge.

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006

And i didn't know it did that...hadn't seen it on any reviews...cool 8)

Andelin

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah my fan will run for a min or so. It's in order to cool the components in the psu to alleviate damage. My LCD big screen projector does the same thing after shut down to cool the bulb.