I have a new system comming in two weeks, need Oc'ing help

pmt411

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I have a new system comming in less than two weeks. It will be a Quad core 6700, SLI 8800GTX, with 2gig Corsair Dominator 1066 mem. It will have the Coolit Liqui Cool 3 (thermal electric cooling) unit providing the cpu cooling. The system builder overclocks the graphic cards slightly for the end user but not the cpu. The motherboard is the Evga 680i.

My problem is that I am a gamer( 54 year old male) who knows nothing about overclocking and would like to overclock my new system. I am not interested in the best absolute overclock which can be obtained, simply I want some extra "umph" for overall system performance. I dont want to risk frying my new system or instability issues. From internet reading, I believe that 3.3-3.4mzh should be easily possible and perhaps more. What are your thoughts on what mzh I can realistically expect to achieve safely, and more importantly, how do I go about doing this?? Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I am a gamer( 54 year old male) who knows nothing about overclocking
You must be kidding...

I dont want to risk frying my new system or instability issues.
Well, if you have the guts to speak about overclocking, then you have to prepare yourself about what you've just said.

I am not interested in the best absolute overclock which can be obtained, simply I want some extra "umph" for overall system performance.
Do you know how many extra "umph" you'll get from that C2Q in normal clock ?

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
what is with these people today, was the turkey poisoned this year to make everyone smart asses?

anyways man quad-core is mad power man, there is no sense in O/C unless your playing non-multithreaded games, which is alot of them but umm yeah 3.3 is not and umph, thats pushing absolute... with that board you can make it easy, without frying anything..

does that new 680i have the same prob as pre-BX2 975X, meaning the 325FSB barrier, or is that an Intel thing ANYONE???

325FSB i think will get you 3.3ish, but if that barrier isnt there then you can go higher, but really man i would go with 3.3 for now, and when your cpu starts to outdate( lol in a year or two) then i would push it further.. really man those C2D's are sick when processing, i dunno if you have seen one in action, but that processor actually is the first that IMO "waits" for you, and thats the Dual-Core version.. so man i think 3.0-3.3 is good, but i have grown out of "having the fastest o/c"

hope this helps, and if you need instructions on how there is a sticky on the main cpu page...

pmt411

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I appreciate your response and time, it was the only sensible post I received. My understanding is that the 680i board overcomes the 325barrier. At least, thats what I clearly read in a review of the Evga 680i on the webb.

n0odle

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
My question is.....Do you really need to OC a system like that? LOL

Generally when people OC they try to get the best out of LOWER end parts. I don't believe in OC'ing anything that dosen't need to...or do I? OC'ing can be like drugs..addicting as hell.

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
my setup is somewhat similar to yours just 1 8800 and a C2D E6600

as far as the Quadro you cant expect it to overclock well theres alot of people who try going 200-300 MHz higher and they cant get into Windows Stabily im not sure if this is from the quadro or the motherboard but whatever it is its not that awesome on the clocking

might want to consider a Duo as they have much more potential in that region and are by no means dated here's what you would do though

head into Bios
go to Advanced Chipset Features
go to Voltages-leave everything Default but set the FSB to 1.2V
get out of the voltages area and head into System clocks here you will find your CPU multiplier it is adjustable from 6-10 i believe on the Quadro
it is a key part in your clocking ability also note the spread spectrum options near the bottom, you should disable ALL of these as they will increase the ability of your clock speeds leave that and go into FSB an memory settings here's another key part of your overclocking FSB and memory you should set the FSB and memory to LINKED and set it to Sync mode your ram should be good now. now focussing on the FSB default is 1066 default CPU multiplier is 10, here is how you find your Clock speed that 1066 is QDR or 4X your real FSB frequency so, you divide 1066 by 4 and you get 266.5, so therefore 266.5 is your actual FSB frequency now take your FSB frequency (266.5) and multiply it by your CPU multiplier 10 you get 2665 this is your the speed of witch your processor will run at 2665 translates into the default 2.66GHz now there are a couple ways to change your speeds, raising FSB and lowering multipliers and raising FSB even higher so say for example you want to try for 2.8GHz and see if it will do it so you take 2800 and divide it by 10 your CPU multiplier and you get 280 280 is the FSB you need so multiply 280 by 4 you get 1120 so you change the FSB QDR speed to 1120 and you get your 2.8GHz if it wont run at that the board will automatically go back to your default and ask you to go into BIOS and change the settings lowering the CPU multiplier and upping the FSB is usually a plus with the C2D and overclocking i lowered my multiplier to 8 and bumped my QDR FSB to 1600 thats a 400FSB and i was running well at 3.2GHz. each CPU is different but the eVGA 680i will automatically set a CPU voltage to feed your beast so you dont really have to worry on that one just make sure its well cooled hope this helps.

P.S. if it completely refuses to boot up after changing settings there is a Jumper on your board to clear the CMOS and will default all board settings so just clear the jumper and restart and you can try again