sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Hey guys, I was just wondering if this is normal.

I bought my E6300 and put that bad boy into my Gigabyte 965 S3? (can't remember the full name off the top of my head)

When I power up my system the CPU fan doesn't spin for about 2-3 seconds. Is this normal? Has anyone else seen this? Fixed this? At first it scared the crap out of me that everything was turning on but the CPU fan. (Using stock HSF btw).

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Here's the thing though, it doesn't power on for the first 2-3 seconds. After running WoW for about 30 minutes my system shut down, I checked the bios and it said the CPU temp was at about 92C.

There was an option in the BIOS to change fan speed management? I changed it to a different setting (I believe to Intel QST) and it seems ok now, no shut downs. I downloaded the Intel thermal monitor and while running WoW it gets up to 81C. I don't think this is right though because I set my BIOS to give me a warning at 70C.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Well, it sounds like you have a generic temp problem, and I'll give you a generic solution. Most likely you didn't seat your HSF right. Take it off, re-seat it, and then measure temps. That should do the trick.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
those temps are insanly high, download a program called core temp (google it) and tell us the temp readings from that program. sounds like you didnt seat the hsf right.

if those temps are correct, your cpu should be a ball of molten metal by now. its supposed to cut off at like 65c to avoid damage.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Aye they are high. I'm used to AMD HSF installations so when I saw this I was a bit bewildered. I did set it on and take it off, didn't even think about wiping it clean and just attached it.

I will do that later tonight, but for now I am at work :(

G

I guess your fan's ready for the trash... Doesn't start for a moment because it's damaged. Just get a new one...

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Keep in mind that you will need to remove your motherboard from your case to install most alternative heatsink fan designs. Most come with their own mounting hardware, which may include a specially designed backplate.
We had a poster on this site awhile back insisting that he didn't want to take his motherboard out to reinstall a heatsink and he ended up damaging his system. Please don't do that.
It only takes a few minutes to get remove a motherboard and do it right.

P.S. the Ninja Scythe is a very good heatsink, but I've heard that they can be difficult to install. That may be mainly due to the size? I've never installed one so I don't know from personal experience. I just remember that one has come up from time to time in posts on Tom's from people having trouble getting it installed on some boards.
I prefer the Zalman coolers or the Tunic Tower myself.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Yea I don't have a problem taking my stuff out...

I heard that people have a few problems with the HS because of it's size. Said that it's hard to fit over the memory slot of some boards.