Nov 24, 2006
I currently own a Gateway GX7022E which have thes specs:

CPU - Intel Pent D 830 3.0 GHZ
MB Chipset- 945G
RAM -2 GB DDR2 (expandable to 4 GB)
Video Card -Nvidia 6200 64 MB TurboCache
TV Tuner -ATI Theater 550 Pro TV tuner card
PSU -400 watts

I would definitely like to upgrade the video card I have now. My question is how do I tell if the cards that are out now are compatible with what I have. I have read the issues dealing with motherboards and psu through gateway and do know that it is possible to upgrade the video card. (my brother did it at Best Buy. So far no problems.)
I know my computer is Vista ready and would like a card that will be Directx10 compliant. I like to play games with all the eye candy on. I just recently installed Company of Heroes and at Max Settings I get a framerate of 7.2 fps. AT the lower settings it increases to a respectable 49.5 fps. At least I am able to play.
Anyhow, looking for some sound advice or suggestions. I am trying to educate myself so that I can pick the proper card so I don't ruin what I have.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well i would buy a X800gto if you can find one. there hard to find now days. Another one i have owned is 7600gs 512mb card from asus it has pretty good kick for budget cards.

whats your exact model number on the intel board cause i cant tell you id u have agp or pcie by what u you said.

My guess is pcie (i hope) but agp still has options also.

What to consider is the x1800 series there in the 200~ range but real nice.

mardel

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I don't know the model # for the board itself but the video card I have now is in a PCI Express slot.
So do you think I would have any issues taking out that card and putting in a new one. (such as power supply)
I take it 2GB of DDR RAM is sufficient nowadays. Is upgrading to 4GB overkill? I mainly do gaming on my rig. Some video editing.

Thank You for your advice.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
If you really have to have a DX10 card right now than you'll likely have to replace your psu as well to at least a 500w (maybe more) dependable psu.

In any case, your GF6200 is pretty weak and maybe you're setting your sights a little high, especially considering your current system. Having no idea what your budget is, it's hard to recommend a card, but this BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT should work in your current setup and would be an amazing upgrade for the money.

mardel

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Budget is somewhat of a concern for me, but I was considering the 7600gt as an upgrade. Would also adding some more ram be of a help?(maxing out to 4GB )
I do plan on building my own pc rig in the coming months of the new year (have not done since 1999) A lot has changed. I will definitely be reading this site more often. You all have been very helpful.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I agree with megame255. Check out this THG article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/25/sub_200_pci_express_graphics_card_showdown/

The 7600 is a great choice for a retail system, because it's a power efficient card (doesn't require power connector) for it's performance range, and won't overload your power supply.

If you plan to build a new system in the coming months, then I wouldn't upgrade the RAM, as 2Gb is more than adequate. Instead, those funds will serve you better if set aside for your future build.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
If you plan to build a new system in the coming months, then I wouldn't upgrade the RAM, as 2Gb is more than adequate. Instead, those funds will serve you better if set aside for your future build.

I have to agree, 2 GB is enough. Anymore than that would be overkill and I've even heard of some people having problems trying to run that much ram on XP.

TRENDING THREADS