XP's equal to System Monitor

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:03:21 GMT, Bob wrote:

> Is there one. I'd like to monitor memory usage.
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Open Task Manager. With the processes page displayed, click on View> Select
Columns.... You'll find several different choices related to memory usage.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Is there one. I'd like to monitor memory usage.
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Performance tab in Task Manager.

Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe).

*** Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
*** For e-mail, you must append "#NEWS#" to the Subject.

That's gotta be one of the most unintuitive programs ...

In news:ttIAd.14759$152.245@trndny01,
Bob <bobdawn1@verizon.net> typed:

> Is there one. I'd like to monitor memory usage.

Although you *can* do this (see Sharon's reply), let me ask why
you want to. If you are trying to minimize memory usage, that's a
counterproductive thing to do. Windows is designed to use all, or
almost all, your memory all the time, and that's good, not bad.
Free memory is wasted memory. You paid for it all and shouldn't
want to see any of it wasted.
Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all
the time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will
use that part for caching, then give it back when your apps later
need it. In this way Windows keeps all your memory working for
you all the time.

Please reply to the newsgroup

CTRL+ALT+DEL, click task manager, click the performance tab. Bingo.

On 12/29/04 9:03 PM, in article ttIAd.14759$152.245@trndny01, "Bob"
<bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is there one. I'd like to monitor memory usage.
>
> Thanks
> Bob

"Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:

>Is there one. I'd like to monitor memory usage.
>
>Thanks
>Bob

Task Manager and Performance Monitor provide information on memory
usage. However the items reported and the definitions of these items
are different from what is reported by the Windows 9x System Monitor.

What specific memory related items were you looking for?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I curently have 512 and was woundering if adding more would be benificial.
It curently shows 198 mb available.
Bob

In news:GC2Bd.24244$Ff3.16737@trndny04,
Bob <bobdawn1@verizon.net> typed:

>I curently have 512 and was woundering if adding more would be
> benificial. It curently shows 198 mb available.

Adding more would probably not be beneficial, but that's not the
way to find out.
How much memory you ne ed depends on what apps you run, but
almost everyone needs at least 256MB for decent performance. For
some people, for example those who edit large photographic
images, more than 256MB--even much more--can be required for good
performance.

If you are currently using the page file significantly, more
memory will decrease or eliminate that usage, and improve your
performance. If you are not using the page file significantly,
more memory will do nothing for you.

Go to http://billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/winxp%5Ftweaks/ and
download WinXP-2K_Pagefile.zip and monitor your pagefile usage.
That should give you a good idea of whether more memory can help,
and if so, how much more.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:ttIAd.14759$152.245@trndny01,
>> Bob <bobdawn1@verizon.net> typed:
>>
>>> Is there one. I'd like to monitor memory usage.
>>

>> Although you *can* do this (see Sharon's reply), let me ask
>> why you
>> want to. If you are trying to minimize memory usage, that's a
>> counterproductive thing to do. Windows is designed to use all,
>> or
>> almost all, your memory all the time, and that's good, not
>> bad. Free
>> memory is wasted memory. You paid for it all and shouldn't
>> want to
>> see any of it wasted. Windows works hard to find a use for all
>> the memory you have all the
>> time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will
>> use
>> that part for caching, then give it back when your apps later
>> need
>> it. In this way Windows keeps all your memory working for you
>> all
>> the time.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I wanted to see how much of my 512 was being used and if it was beneficial
to add more. It would have been nice to monitor video memory but i don't see
that option.

Bob

> "Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Is there one. I'd like to monitor memory usage.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Bob
>>

> Task Manager and Performance Monitor provide information on memory
> usage. However the items reported and the definitions of these items
> are different from what is reported by the Windows 9x System Monitor.
>
> What specific memory related items were you looking for?
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:

>I wanted to see how much of my 512 was being used and if it was beneficial
>to add more. It would have been nice to monitor video memory but i don't see
>that option.
>
>Bob

The page file usage utility that Ken Blake referred you to is the best
way of assessing the potential benefit of a RAM upgrade in Windows XP.
It gives you the equivalent of the "Memory Manager - Swap File In Use"
reported by the Windows 9x System Monitor.

With Windows XP there appears to be about 40 mb of items that Windows
can "park" in the page file without having to page them back in again,
or at least not frequently. So I generally use an actual usage value
of 50 mb or more as the indicator that more RAM would reduce the
paging activity and thereby improve performance.

Good luck