Your question

$1k System - Need Input

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2006 5:46:32 PM

Alright. I feel like a lamer posting one of the thousands of "FIRST BUILD NEED HLEP" threads, but I do need some input.

I just want to make sure that everything is compatable and that I don't buy anything silly that I really shouldn't.

Cooler Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower Case - Link
Cooler Master ATX12V 450W PSU - Link
Biostar TForce965PT Socket T Motherboard - Link
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU - Link
Sapphire Radeon x1900GT 256MB Video Card (May change) - Link
OCZ 1GB (2 DIMMs) DDR2 800 SDRAM - Link
Western Digital Caviar SE 7,200 RPM 160GB SATA HDD - Link
Asus 16x DVD Burner - Link
Asus DVD ROM - Link

...and to top it all off, an anti-static wrist strap.

The video card is subject to change, as is possibly the hard drive, but I'll keep them PCI Express x16 and SATA, respectively.

So, does anyone see any compatability issues? Reccommend an alternative piece for a similar price? This all adds up to less than $950 from Newegg, and I'm probably going to keep it under $1,000.

Anyway, thanks for your help in advance.

More about : system input

November 24, 2006 5:59:41 PM

Every thing looks great exept for one thing. I hate cooler master psu's, you couldnt pay me to use one in a rig, ive heard to many storys of them dieing on people to ever recommend you use one. Get a psu from a company like an Antec, Power PC&C, Silverstone, OCZ, or Thermaltake instead. That way, you dont have to worry about our psu frying itself and taking $1000+ in parts with it.

edit: heres a good one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371002
November 24, 2006 6:03:36 PM

That's definitely very helpful, and I'm glad you said that now ('cause I'm just now making the purchase on the case and PSU).

But I still need a 24-pin connector, correct?
Related resources
November 24, 2006 6:11:51 PM

yeah, but that psu has a 20+4 pin connector, so it's compatible with both 20 and 24 pin mobos.
November 27, 2006 4:25:48 AM

Alright, sounds good.

Another question (and please, if anyone notices anything wrong, please point it out) -

I have a Hitachi 180GB 7,200RPM HDD that I would rather use than buy a new one, but the only problem is that it is PATA. The motherboard I want supports ATA100, but this HDD is ATA133. I've looked around, and I guess my options are as follows:

An IDE to SATA adapter - Link
A PCI card with two ATA133 connections - Link

Should I go with one of these? Or would I be better off going for a different mobo / buying a new HDD?
November 27, 2006 8:33:09 AM

WHy dont you get the E6400 which can be OCed better with that board to higher performance than the E6600. You could spend the money on a better graphics card.
November 27, 2006 6:04:15 PM

I agree with the e6400 suggestion. I'd save the money on the cpu and spend it on either 2gb of ram or a better video card. Also you might want to try buying some of the stuff on buy.com using google checkout. $20 off of every $50+ order, and you can use it as many times as you need to until the end of december.
November 27, 2006 6:47:20 PM

Quote:
I have a Hitachi 180GB 7,200RPM HDD that I would rather use than buy a new one, but the only problem is that it is PATA. The motherboard I want supports ATA100, but this HDD is ATA133. I've looked around, and I guess my options are as follows:

An IDE to SATA adapter - Link
A PCI card with two ATA133 connections - Link

Should I go with one of these? Or would I be better off going for a different mobo / buying a new HDD?

Getting a decent motherboard should be a higher priority than worrying about 33mb/s of transfer rate. If it's only 180gb you'll likely fill it up at some point at which stage you can replace/augment it with a new SATA drive.

Obviously buying a new hard drive would be ideal, but that drive is a bit too good to just chuck out/not use.

Personally I'd just use the drive, but if you want that extra speed then go with the ATA133 card.
November 27, 2006 8:45:37 PM

Quote:
Getting a decent motherboard should be a higher priority than worrying about 33mb/s of transfer rate.

Would you suggest a different motherboard? I thought that this one seemed decent enough. I wouldn't really mind buying the card, and it would let me put in an extra optical drive anyway.

As for the E6400 - If I could save about $100 and OC it to the same speed as the E6600, that would be excellent. Would the motherboard I've chosen deal with that? Also, how difficult of a task would it be? I apologize for the newb-ness, but I've never bothered to OC anything. Thanks for putting up with me, anyway.
November 27, 2006 9:37:51 PM

Quote:

quote]

I've used both systems in the past, one using an ATA100 and another using ATA133, and as of right now i'm using SATA 150.

I can honestly tell you that I can't even recognize a transfer speed difference between an ATA100 and a SATA150 computer.

I'd be moe worried about Access Times and RPMs and quality, rather than 33mb/sec
November 28, 2006 12:04:55 AM

What's the main difference between the GA-965P-S3 and the GA-965P-DS3? The latter seems to have quite a few more reviews, but is $30 more expensive.
November 28, 2006 1:00:43 AM

Quote:

Cooler Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower Case - Link
Cooler Master ATX12V 450W PSU - Link
Biostar TForce965PT Socket T Motherboard - Link
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU - Link
Sapphire Radeon x1900GT 256MB Video Card (May change) - Link
OCZ 1GB (2 DIMMs) DDR2 800 SDRAM - Link
Western Digital Caviar SE 7,200 RPM 160GB SATA HDD - Link
Asus 16x DVD Burner - Link
Asus DVD ROM - Link

Ok, I built my first system this past summer and see if you like it. If you buy all your parts online then youll definatly be below $1k. I went to Microcenter for a few parts so I ended up a little over. I also had $80 in mail-in-rebates. What are you using the system for? Strictly games?

My system is:
Aerocool ExtremEngine 3t
e6300 retail (you could get the 6400 since the prices went down)
1GB XMS Corsair ddr-2-533 (3-3-3-9 latency) (2 sticks of 512mb)
Gigabyte DS3
2x 250GB SATAII 16mb hard drives
Saphire x1900xtx PCI-Ex16
Soundblaster X-fi XM

My system is only for gaming. I spent a little $1100 only because of a few items I bought in the store and a full version of Windows Xp because I only had the upgrade. And me accidently putting in the upgrade disk and it worked flawlessly lol. If you get all your parts online (free shipping and no tax, youll be either slightly over $1k or a little under. Some of these parts probably went down in price by now. I play Sims2 Pets, RollerCoaster Tycoon3 and they look pretty good on my system.
November 28, 2006 4:24:12 AM

Looks like a decent build. Sweet video card, too. I think I'll definitely go with 800MHz RAM, though. How do you like the DS3 motherboard? Do you think that the S3 would've been better for the money?

My computer will sort of be all-around for me. Games like Oblivion and Half-Life 2, Photoshop (for my photography), and about average multi-tasking (with the basics - web browsing, word processing, et cetera).
November 28, 2006 6:29:15 AM

THE biostar Tforce 965PT is fine, its a great OCer. Heres a link i found to show you:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2871

ALso as you can see the s3 is also a good board although so is the biostar and they both OC great with the E6400. You should reach aruond 3.2 i would think very easily with stock cooling. Just follow wusys guide and you cant go wrong.

To answer your question the only differences between the DS3 and S3 is that the DS3 has solid capacitors which means it should last you about 5 times more however the S3 should last you for more than enough too, atleast 5 years. Also the other difference i beleive is that the S3 does not have raid support. (i am very certain of that but you better just double check :oops:  )
November 28, 2006 10:12:11 PM

The DS3 is great. It posted flawlessly. Its stable and easy to work with. The DS3 has enough room to work on (working out of the case). I heard the DS3 is good for overclocking. Anyway everything is working great and it stays cool...about 24c-32c. It averages about 28-29c.

* I had great help in the forumz for my 1st build as well *
November 29, 2006 12:02:19 AM

S3 performs exactly the same in OC'ing as the DS3. Comes down to budget I suppose. The S3 should last the lifetime of your system, so I think the solid state components are more marketing hype than practical use....might just be me though.

Either way, the S3 is great. I've got a 6300, S3, OCZ Platinum 800 running @ 3.0 ghz without breaking a sweat ;) 
November 29, 2006 5:07:47 AM

Alright, so I guess it's really just a choice between the Biostar and the S3, then?

Another thing - everyone's saying the boards are picky and accept only 1.8v RAM - is that so? Could I not, then, use the RAM I'd picked out in the original post?

Thanks for the help guys. So far you've saved me $100 on the processor, hah.
November 29, 2006 5:45:23 AM

Check out this PSU. Unless I've missed something, it'll give you plenty of juice for what you're building at a very low price. Check out the reviews- few PSU on the Egg are reviewed so well. I have one and I love it.
November 29, 2006 5:47:02 AM

i have heard about it but i hope not coz im about to build my new rig with a DS3 in it 8O
November 29, 2006 1:15:20 PM

Have heard about issues, but not for quite awhile. I believe the current BIOS'es and revs of the RAM have fixed that. Was a problem when they were first released, but I read somewhere it's been resolved. I have OCZ Platinum 800 and not one hiccup.

Just make sure you get the newest BIOS. The S3 comes with a feature where you can just update the BIOS through Windows, no manual flashing needed. Very simple to use, went without a hitch.

I don't know about the MSI mobo, but alot of people have had great results with the S3, 6300/6400, and decent RAM. I've seen a number of people with OCZ or Corsair easily hit 3.0 on a 6300 with stock air cooling, and at less than stock vCore. Runs low power and low temps...although I i did get a Thermaltake northbridge cooler and a Zalman 9500 CPU cooler, but that's cuz I'm paranoid ;) 
!