compatible router with this modem....

joshwill80

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
hi all,

new to the forums here :)

we recently switched from dsl to adelphia cable for internet access. unfortunately my dlink di-604 router decided to die on me on the same day. i have had it for years now. i've been working with it for days, and it seems that it is time to get a new router. it won't even recognize one of the computers on the network any more. i've tried multiple resets and all the other frustrating stuff.

anyway, the modem adelphia gave us is a motorolla surfboard model sb5101. i was hoping maybe someone here has used this modem with a certain router successfully. i would hate to get a router that did not work with it. i was thinking of maybe going with linksys or netgear this time? is there a certain brand of routers that people find reliable? i would just go with another di-604, but i have a feeling i might regret it.

or maybe there is a router/modem compatibility chart or something similar out there that someone could link me too? any info at all would help me out.

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Routers are layer 3 devices and cable/dsl modems, aka broadband bridges, are layer 2 devices, they couldn't care less.

hi all,

new to the forums here :)

we recently switched from dsl to adelphia cable for internet access. unfortunately my dlink di-604 router decided to die on me on the same day. i have had it for years now. i've been working with it for days, and it seems that it is time to get a new router. it won't even recognize one of the computers on the network any more. i've tried multiple resets and all the other frustrating stuff.

anyway, the modem adelphia gave us is a motorolla surfboard model sb5101. i was hoping maybe someone here has used this modem with a certain router successfully. i would hate to get a router that did not work with it. i was thinking of maybe going with linksys or netgear this time? is there a certain brand of routers that people find reliable? i would just go with another di-604, but i have a feeling i might regret it.

or maybe there is a router/modem compatibility chart or something similar out there that someone could link me too? any info at all would help me out.

Marauder

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I have never heard of a broadband modem not working with a router because of conflicts. Defective parts maybe but thats different.

kageryu18

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I encountered that same problem..when i requested from my isp to replace my modem on that same day i get disconnected every 15 to 30 mins to the internet.by the way my modem is prolink and my router is edimax..if i directy connected my pc to the modem it runs smoothly..if i use my router then i get disconnected..so i need to replace my router..to d link 604 dsl router. i hope i can help you to figure it out.