IP Camera

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
June 7, 2004 1:31:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
type of IP camera?

More about : camera

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 7, 2004 9:07:57 AM

On 6 Jun 2004 21:31:01 -0700, peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote:

>I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
>also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
>type of IP camera?

Hmm, not sure I understand the distinction. Would you be able to
provide a link to that cam?

--
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one
percent of the people may take away the rights of the other

peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message news:<45ff9b97.0406062031.a59b9a@posting.google.com>...
> I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
> also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
> type of IP camera?

I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.
a b 8 Security
June 7, 2004 5:01:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

If your talking about embedding video into a web site, or HTML application,
from a Network Camera, you can do that with all the Panasonic Network
Cameras (IP). It's hardly next generation though.

Jack

"Jerry" <peterson4321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
> also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
> type of IP camera?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 7, 2004 5:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

would be nice if network cameras could display video like a webcam directly
in MSN Messenger, NetMeeting, etc.

"Jerry" <peterson4321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
> also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
> type of IP camera?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 7, 2004 5:49:16 PM

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message news:<vn_wc.14372$QI2.5919@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> would be nice if network cameras could display video like a webcam directly
> in MSN Messenger, NetMeeting, etc.

You can! I have used Softcam - http://www.softcam.com to retransmit
streaming video and it was through MSN Messenger. You can use the
software to transmit the IP cam image to anyone with MSN MEssenger,
Yahoo Messenger, or whatever.
June 7, 2004 5:49:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message news:<vn_wc.14372$QI2.5919@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> would be nice if network cameras could display video like a webcam directly
> in MSN Messenger, NetMeeting, etc.
>
> "Jerry" <peterson4321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
> > also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
> > type of IP camera?

I tested several IP cameras (D-Link, Linksys, Veo, TLC, ORite). Only
the TLC IP Camera 8000 could display video directly on MSN and Yahoo
Messenger like the webcam. I found this was a good feature for me,
since sometime I have problems configuing IP cameras to work through
my customer's firewall.

The video quality is also a lot better than the D-Link and Linksys. My
problem is that the camera does not work well in low light conditions.
Actually, none of these low cost IP cameras I tested, works well in
low light condition. I find that only the high cost surveillance
cameras work well in low light conditions, and they automatically turn
black-and-white at night. But, the price is too high for most of my
customers. Does anyone know of an IP camera that can work in low light
condition but cost less than $200?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 7, 2004 6:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

"Jerry" <peterson4321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
| also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
| type of IP camera?

I think EVERY IP cam can work as a webcam!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

"Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message
| > I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
| > also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
| > type of IP camera?
|
| I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
| have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
| show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
| It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
| baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.

What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
work with MSN?

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

"Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ca25q1$7mm$1@news.cistron.nl>...
> "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message
> | > I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
> | > also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
> | > type of IP camera?
> |
> | I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
> | have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
> | show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
> | It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
> | baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.
>

> What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
> and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
> work with MSN?
>
> Noël

I got the TLC Model 8000. It has a link on the box http://www.tlcstream.com .

It also works with MSN Messenger.

Kim
June 7, 2004 10:40:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

"Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ca25q1$7mm$1@news.cistron.nl>...
> "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message
> | > I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
> | > also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
> | > type of IP camera?
> |
> | I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
> | have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
> | show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
> | It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
> | baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.
>

> What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
> and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
> work with MSN?
>
> Noël

I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.

The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 8, 2004 1:50:49 AM

| "bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message
| > would be nice if network cameras could display video like a webcam
directly
| > in MSN Messenger, NetMeeting, etc.
| >
| > "Jerry" <peterson4321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > > I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
| > > also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
| > > type of IP camera?
|
| I tested several IP cameras (D-Link, Linksys, Veo, TLC, ORite). Only
| the TLC IP Camera 8000 could display video directly on MSN and Yahoo
| Messenger like the webcam. I found this was a good feature for me,
| since sometime I have problems configuing IP cameras to work through
| my customer's firewall.
|
| The video quality is also a lot better than the D-Link and Linksys. My
| problem is that the camera does not work well in low light conditions.
| Actually, none of these low cost IP cameras I tested, works well in
| low light condition. I find that only the high cost surveillance
| cameras work well in low light conditions, and they automatically turn
| black-and-white at night. But, the price is too high for most of my
| customers. Does anyone know of an IP camera that can work in low light
| condition but cost less than $200?

This sounds interesting!

I've googled for TLC cam, but did not really find anything related to a IP
cam!

Do you maybe have a link to who is making the TLC cam?

Thank you.

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

Hunt around and you will find many ways to link to any wireless camera that
has an IP address, much more secure with a wired connection
David

> "Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > | peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message
> > |
> > | I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
> > | have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
> > | show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
> > | It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
> > | baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.
> >

> > What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo
Messenger,
> > and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it
also
> > work with MSN?
> >
> > Noël
>
> I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
> for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
> drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.
>
> The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
> box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
> more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.
June 8, 2004 4:30:27 AM

"David Gerard" <david@davidgerard.com> wrote in message news:<CM7xc.55819$j24.55381@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> Hunt around and you will find many ways to link to any wireless camera that
> has an IP address, much more secure with a wired connection
> David
>

> "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo
> Messenger,
> > > and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it
> also
> > > work with MSN?
> > >
> > > Noël
> >
> > I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
> > for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
> > drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.
> >
> > The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
> > box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
> > more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

This is why the system that I have is so neat. There is no Ethernet
wiring and it's not wireless Ethernet. I do not have to worry about
the wirless network security problem.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 8, 2004 1:16:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

> > > The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
> > > box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
> > > more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.
>
> This is why the system that I have is so neat. There is no Ethernet
> wiring and it's not wireless Ethernet. I do not have to worry about
> the wirless network security problem.

If he plugged a little box into the outlet for computer connectivity all
your neighbors can do the same and not even realize they just put you on the
internet for the world to see.
Wi-fi has/is better security,,, at least then its just stolen into one
computer. Wifi really is pretty safe stuff unless someone with know-how
has reason to want in. With all the states doing legislation now to make
it criminal to electronicly trespass its becomming very dangerious for the
theif - you better have something worthy of making me rich if I'm gonna be
jumping into your wifi network.

Few intruders are being made examples of lately by new state and even city
laws thanks to politics and fear... won't be long and little joe hoennies
parents get handcuffed and fined out the snazoo as examples.
It'll end up a federal crime, could get a new wanna be elected official lots
of extra votes as so many people are scared of their lack of knowledge of
wifi like some here. Some people are scarred funny.
June 8, 2004 5:14:37 PM

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message news:<Ltfxc.1330$QS2.291@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...

> > This is why the system that I have is so neat. There is no Ethernet
> > wiring and it's not wireless Ethernet. I do not have to worry about
> > the wirless network security problem.
>
> If he plugged a little box into the outlet for computer connectivity all
> your neighbors can do the same and not even realize they just put you on the
> internet for the world to see.
> Wi-fi has/is better security,,, at least then its just stolen into one
> computer. Wifi really is pretty safe stuff unless someone with know-how
> has reason to want in. With all the states doing legislation now to make
> it criminal to electronicly trespass its becomming very dangerious for the
> theif - you better have something worthy of making me rich if I'm gonna be
> jumping into your wifi network.
>
> Few intruders are being made examples of lately by new state and even city
> laws thanks to politics and fear... won't be long and little joe hoennies
> parents get handcuffed and fined out the snazoo as examples.
> It'll end up a federal crime, could get a new wanna be elected official lots
> of extra votes as so many people are scared of their lack of knowledge of
> wifi like some here. Some people are scarred funny.

I tested the box Kim talked about. The TLC IP Camera has an option for
networking through powerline. It uses DES encryption. Unless you have
the code, you will not be able to see the camera. The security is
supposedly better than the wireless network. But the real problem it
solved for me is the wireless dead spot problem. There are certain
rooms in my house which does not get good wireless signal. I have no
problems connecting to the TLC IP Camera through the powerline. The
only thing that you need to be careful is that you should not plug
that into a power strip with surge filter. It will filter out the
signal.

A little soap box on wireless. The problem that I have with wireless
is that it has known security bugs in the encryption algorithm. There
are too many public domain tools that my neighbor's kid can download.
According to a study using these tools, it takes on average of 16
hours to crack a home wireless network with encryption. It only takes
on average of 2 hours to crack a company's wireless network. I am
afraid that my neighbor's high school kid will download the tool and
watch my wireless home video the next day. This is the reason why I
returned my D-link and Linksys wireless IP cameras.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 8, 2004 11:41:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

> Wi-fi has/is better security,,, at least then its just stolen into one
> computer. Wifi really is pretty safe stuff unless someone with
> know-how has reason to want in.

wifi is not wifi. WEP is pretty easy to crack--most script kiddies can do
it. WPA is tougher, but still crackable. 802.11i will be much better. But
will these cameras have the horsepower to do it? I doubt it. Wire for me.
BJE
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 9, 2004 1:58:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

you know,,, i get along with the neighbors,, if the kids want to watch one
or more of the wifi cams here be it by hack or by ask -- ahh,,, im not sure
i would promote it but dont think I'd seriously mind... i have nothing to
hide anytime of the day and at night the cheapo cams dont do night worth a
darn anyhow... if they enjoy seeing me move into the shower or something
they've got more of a problem than I. Probably would be free added security
if i were to give them address and login/password to the exterior cams.

Any Joe Schmo that parks his car for more than a few moments around here
already will have a cop tapping on his window in no time. No security cams
needed with bold alert neighbors.
June 10, 2004 1:55:31 AM

kim77209@hotmail.com (Kim) wrote in message news:<2d946343.0406071604.917a5c0@posting.google.com>...
> "Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ca25q1$7mm$1@news.cistron.nl>...
> > "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > | peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message
> > |
> > | I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
> > | have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
> > | show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
> > | It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
> > | baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.
> >

> > What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
> > and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
> > work with MSN?
> >
> > Noël
>
> I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
> for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
> drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.
>
> The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
> box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
> more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

Kim,

I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?

If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.

If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
solution for businesses.

Peter
June 10, 2004 8:51:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

i supply wireless cameras from home and have sold units to a few of my
neighbours....

we can all access each others cam from our houses and none of us seems to
mind whether the neighbours are watching each others cams...

its not a problem.....only one is internal.... and thats mine and i dont
care if im being watched....

the neighbours cams are used for security at the front door or down the
street..

i tune into theirs from time to time and they tune into mine,,,

doesnt hurt anybody..

regards slayer

--
if the following image offends then dont look at it...

/' /)
,/_ /
/ /
/'_'/' '/'_'7,
/'/ / / /" \
('( ' ' _~/
\ '\
'\' \ \ \ _7
\ (
\ \.

slayer in da house annoying the people

ERROR 404 SIG NOT FOUND . END OF INSTRUCTION , PROGRAM FAILED TO
INITIALIZE. KILL ALL ENEMIES OF THE UK AND COALITION FORCES NOW !!!

SOME PEOPLE ENJOY SIPPING FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE...........

PERSONALLY ,,,, i like to take huge gulps..........

remove my shorts to email me direct....

http://www.rselby.com/tips.htm windowx xp tips

regards slayer

phlem1@myshortsbtinertnet.com
June 10, 2004 12:13:47 PM

peterdole65@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<1fa30f66.0406092055.13a42679@posting.google.com>...
> kim77209@hotmail.com (Kim) wrote in message news:<2d946343.0406071604.917a5c0@posting.google.com>...
> > "Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ca25q1$7mm$1@news.cistron.nl>...
> > > "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
> > > and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
> > > work with MSN?
> > >
> > > Noël
> >
> > I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
> > for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
> > drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.
> >
> > The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
> > box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
> > more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.
>
> Kim,
>
> I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
> the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
> recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
> or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?
>
> If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
> There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
> the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
> manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.
>
> If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
> just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
> solution for businesses.
>
> Peter

Peter,

No, I do not pay for VCR or DVR. I pay $49 for a software called "TLC
Stream DVR". The guy just run the software on my PC. It works
automatically. I do not need to do anything. It only record when there
is people in the shop. I can bring up recorded video anytime I want.

Kim
June 10, 2004 1:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

peterdole65@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<1fa30f66.0406092055.13a42679@posting.google.com>...
> kim77209@hotmail.com (Kim) wrote in message news:<2d946343.0406071604.917a5c0@posting.google.com>...
> > "Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ca25q1$7mm$1@news.cistron.nl>...
> > > "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
> > > and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
> > > work with MSN?
> > >
> > > Noël
> >
> > I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
> > for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
> > drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.
> >
> > The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
> > box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
> > more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.
>
> Kim,
>
> I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
> the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
> recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
> or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?
>
> If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
> There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
> the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
> manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.
>
> If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
> just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
> solution for businesses.
>
> Peter

There are many software DVR solutions out there. All you need is a PC.
For example, D-Link has software that comes with the IP Camera which
records video. You can setup a schedule for it to record. It also has
some kind of sensitivity things during recording. I thought it will
record based on motion trigger. But it recorded even without any
motion. Maybe other people had better luck then me. I think one of the
reasons is that the D-Link camera I tested has a problem that the
video flashes all the time. Another problem is that you have to use
the local software to record. The web based control function is very
limited. This is different from other IP cameras where most of the
recording control can be done with web interface remotely.

I think the system that Kim has is probably based on the software DVR
running on his PC. I know that the TLC IP Camera offers a free DVR
software for one camera. I think they charge something like $49 for 2
or more cameras. I was able to get the motion triggered recording to
work. It does a good job in managing disk storage. I can run it for
days without worrying about disk space running out. It has some nice
advanced features that I can only find in professional DVR system. For
example, it records video 1 minute before and 1 minute after the
motion trigger. This is very important for security applications.
June 10, 2004 9:47:44 PM

peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message news:<45ff9b97.0406100802.3e203d27@posting.google.com>...
> peterdole65@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<1fa30f66.0406092055.13a42679@posting.google.com>...
> > kim77209@hotmail.com (Kim) wrote in message news:<2d946343.0406071604.917a5c0@posting.google.com>...

> > > I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
> > > for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
> > > drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.
> > >
> > > The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
> > > box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
> > > more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.
> >
> > Kim,
> >
> > I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
> > the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
> > recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
> > or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?
> >
> > If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
> > There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
> > the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
> > manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.
> >
> > If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
> > just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
> > solution for businesses.
> >
> > Peter
>
> There are many software DVR solutions out there. All you need is a PC.
> For example, D-Link has software that comes with the IP Camera which
> records video. You can setup a schedule for it to record. It also has
> some kind of sensitivity things during recording. I thought it will
> record based on motion trigger. But it recorded even without any
> motion. Maybe other people had better luck then me. I think one of the
> reasons is that the D-Link camera I tested has a problem that the
> video flashes all the time. Another problem is that you have to use
> the local software to record. The web based control function is very
> limited. This is different from other IP cameras where most of the
> recording control can be done with web interface remotely.
>
> I think the system that Kim has is probably based on the software DVR
> running on his PC. I know that the TLC IP Camera offers a free DVR
> software for one camera. I think they charge something like $49 for 2
> or more cameras. I was able to get the motion triggered recording to
> work. It does a good job in managing disk storage. I can run it for
> days without worrying about disk space running out. It has some nice
> advanced features that I can only find in professional DVR system. For
> example, it records video 1 minute before and 1 minute after the
> motion trigger. This is very important for security applications.

Jerry,

Thanks for the information. It is very useful for me. I am going to
check out the TLC IP camera to see if I can use it for some of my
customers.

Peter
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 10, 2004 10:44:19 PM

peterdole65@hotmail.com (Peter) writes:

]kim77209@hotmail.com (Kim) wrote in message news:<2d946343.0406071604.917a5c0@posting.google.com>...
]> "Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ca25q1$7mm$1@news.cistron.nl>...
]> > "Kim" <kim77209@hotmail.com> wrote in message
]> > news:2d946343.0406070750.161b5045@posting.google.com...
]> > | peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message
]> news:<45ff9b97.0406062031.a59b9a@posting.google.com>...
]> > | > I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
]> > | > also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
]> > | > type of IP camera?
]> > |
]> > | I bought four IP cameras from a local security system installer. I
]> > | have two at home and two in my shop. I can use my Yahoo Messenger to
]> > | show my wife the back room where the supply is while I chat with her.
]> > | It works pretty well at home too. I can show my parents in Korea the
]> > | baby's room without moving my webcam and my computer to another room.
]> >
]> >
]> > What model / make is the IP cam that you are using with the Yahoo Messenger,
]> > and is it only with the Yahoo Messenger that it's working, or will it also
]> > work with MSN?
]> >
]> > Noël
]>
]> I just went to the company's web site. They have a promotion going on
]> for $99. I paid $199 to my installer who hardly did anything except
]> drill a few holes. I will see if I can get my money back.
]>
]> The guy did not even pull Ethernet cable. He just plug it in a little
]> box on the outlet and then I can see video on my PC. He told me it's
]> more secure then the wireless IP camera. I am not sure if I trust him.

Apparently he did do something. He supplied an "ethernet over power lines"
hardware to connect the two together. (while somewhat safer maybe than
wireless, I would still rather have ethernet cable). The fact that the box
is little does not mean that it does not cost money.

]Kim,

]I am interested in finding out what kind of video recording system did
]the security system installer put in for you? Are you using the
]recording GUI on the web page or did the guy put in a time lapse VCR
]or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for you?

]If they use time lapse VCR and DVR then the cost can be very high.
]There are no real cost advantages in using the IP camera. If you use
]the GUI on the web page to record video then you have to start it
]manually everyday and worry about harddisk full.

Why would you have to start it manually every day? There are things like
cron jobs. Disk full is another matter, although a FIFO system of erasing
old pictures for new ones can be installed, unless you want to keep the
tapes for a long time. (But at one frame a sec say, and then compressing
you can store a lot of pictures on a 100GB disk drive.)
A 1 hour movie has 100,000 high res frames-- with large changes in general
from one frame to the next (poorer compression) and fits onto a 4GB DVD. So a 100GB drive
will hold a month's worth of pictures.

]If there are no real recording solutions then I think the IP camera is
]just a toy. I am not sure the IP camera can be a good security
]solution for businesses.

Depends on what you want and how much "hacking" you are willing to do.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 11, 2004 12:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

| it records video 1 minute before and 1 minute after the
| motion trigger. This is very important for security applications.

Hmmm how can it record 1 minute before the motion trigger, or is it using
somekind of buffer?

Anyway, I've been emailing TLC, and they are quick in replying my questions!

I'm going to order one today!

Thanks again for the tip about this cam!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

Dont count on it. JVC makes one for about $1200. I have installed a
300 watt light and in some cases a 500 watt light do be certain that I
can see what I need to for a reasonable price. I doubt that we will
see an IP camera with a low lux or IR abilities for less than a $1000
any time soon.

peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in message news:<45ff9b97.0406071114.21389e9f@posting.google.com>...
> "bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message news:<vn_wc.14372$QI2.5919@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> > would be nice if network cameras could display video like a webcam directly
> > in MSN Messenger, NetMeeting, etc.
> >
> > "Jerry" <peterson4321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
> > > also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
> > > type of IP camera?
>
> I tested several IP cameras (D-Link, Linksys, Veo, TLC, ORite). Only
> the TLC IP Camera 8000 could display video directly on MSN and Yahoo
> Messenger like the webcam. I found this was a good feature for me,
> since sometime I have problems configuing IP cameras to work through
> my customer's firewall.
>
> The video quality is also a lot better than the D-Link and Linksys. My
> problem is that the camera does not work well in low light conditions.
> Actually, none of these low cost IP cameras I tested, works well in
> low light condition. I find that only the high cost surveillance
> cameras work well in low light conditions, and they automatically turn
> black-and-white at night. But, the price is too high for most of my
> customers. Does anyone know of an IP camera that can work in low light
> condition but cost less than $200?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 14, 2004 9:19:40 PM

"Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:caa8j1

> Anyway, I've been emailing TLC, and they are quick in replying my
questions!

> I'm going to order one today!
>
> Thanks again for the tip about this cam!
>
> Noël

I would be careful with them. Their website does not behave very well.
Their support area leaves very much to be desired! I don't even see a
FAQ on the site.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 15, 2004 6:36:53 PM

"ChadMan" <chadhammer@no-charter-spam.net> wrote in message news:<10csg4omrc3ucdb@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Noël®" <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:caa8j1
> >
> > Anyway, I've been emailing TLC, and they are quick in replying my
> questions!
> >
> > I'm going to order one today!
> >
> > Thanks again for the tip about this cam!
> >
> > Noël
> >

> I would be careful with them. Their website does not behave very well.
> Their support area leaves very much to be desired! I don't even see a
> FAQ on the site.

Hummm... Which web site are you talking about? The FAQ link is on the
first page of http://www.tlcstream.com . It is also linked on the
second line of the Support page. The support page also provides an 888
toll free number for technical support. You can also email us at the
factory (support@tlcstream.com) .

So, Mr. ChadMan, If there is anything we can help, please let us know.
Looking forward to hear from you,

TLC Support Department
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 15, 2004 9:38:39 PM

"TLC Support" <support@tlcwatch.com> wrote in message >
> Hummm... Which web site are you talking about? The FAQ link is on
the
> first page of http://www.tlcstream.com . It is also linked on the
> second line of the Support page. The support page also provides an
888
> toll free number for technical support. You can also email us at the
> factory (support@tlcstream.com) .
>
> So, Mr. ChadMan, If there is anything we can help, please let us
know.
> Looking forward to hear from you,
>
> TLC Support Department

OK, sent an email to support (you) and sales with the link yahoo gave
me when I searched for "TLC 8000 ip Cam". The link I got in yahoo was
bogus or a test? You decide. Might need to fix it though! The mailto
link said sales@tlcstream.com but when clicked on came up with
sales@sinvision.com.sg. Looked like the TLC Stream website to me!
Anyways, sorry for any misunderstanding! The link you supplied seems
to have fixed the problem!

this is the bum link I got first up on yahoo:
http://www.tlcstream.com/support.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

This is the good link:
http://www.tlcstream.com/30805.html

I'd like rescind my earlier reply to Noel. Noel, kindly disregard
please!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 16, 2004 4:44:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

"ChadMan" <chadhammer@no-charter-spam.net> wrote in message

> This is the good link:
> http://www.tlcstream.com/30805.html
>
> I'd like rescind my earlier reply to Noel. Noel, kindly disregard
> please!

Update:

Got the right link and everything looks good on their site. Apparently
I hit an old index from a test or something. I've got a few sites I
need to check for that myself after all that! Those nasty web bots can
index them if they are still located on your webserver even if they
are defunct.

I ordered a camera from TLC today. I should have it early next week.
It will be the first of hopefully many cams! I might try and put some
cams at local businesses that have a fast connection around town.
We'll see.

I will say that their pre-sales service is great! Looking forward to
getting my cam up and running!
June 17, 2004 12:16:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation,alt.security (More info?)

Are htese cameras available in Australia?

ChadMan wrote:
> "ChadMan" <chadhammer@no-charter-spam.net> wrote in message
>

>>This is the good link:
>>http://www.tlcstream.com/30805.html
>>
>>I'd like rescind my earlier reply to Noel. Noel, kindly disregard
>>please!
>>

> Update:
>
> Got the right link and everything looks good on their site. Apparently
> I hit an old index from a test or something. I've got a few sites I
> need to check for that myself after all that! Those nasty web bots can
> index them if they are still located on your webserver even if they
> are defunct.
>
> I ordered a camera from TLC today. I should have it early next week.
> It will be the first of hopefully many cams! I might try and put some
> cams at local businesses that have a fast connection around town.
> We'll see.
>
> I will say that their pre-sales service is great! Looking forward to
> getting my cam up and running!

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 20, 2004 10:53:33 AM

Socialism is a Mental Disease wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2004 21:31:01 -0700, peterson4321@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote:
>
>>I saw an ad on Google about a second generation IP camera which can
>>also work like a webcam. Does anyone have any experience with this
>>type of IP camera?
>>

> Hmm, not sure I understand the distinction. Would you be able to
> provide a link to that cam?

Thomas Jefferson's quote was, and still is, right on the money! So is
your handle.

--
www.SecurityMission.com
* End users and security professionals welcome

If you are looking for a lower-cost IP camera with decend night capabilities, have you checked out the FOSCAM cameras? For the price, they offer pretty good quality and have some pan/tilt models with night vision and everything. I have four of them installed in my cosmetics store and and satisfied with the image quality. Just be careful buying on fleabay! LK Town.com has the best prices on foscam cameras, you can check the link here: http://www.lktown.com/category.php?id=6

Any creative setups, I'd love to see!
April 8, 2011 10:11:45 AM

Hey, thanks for the link. I was searching for a one like this and that too reasonable. It is preferable.
!