Where's my privacy?

arvink

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I understand it's the internet, but why should my Tom's Hardware comments show up on Google with my FULL name showing up?

Basically - Googled my name, and my comments from here showed up first. Anyway I can change that? I couldn't find where Tom's had my full name to change that either...

randomizer

Champion
http://www.tomshardware.com/membres/

First name and last name should be there, although they are supposed to be hidden. I can't see why they would be showing up on Google since they aren't displayed anywhere. In any case, both fields can be blank.

I tested mine and it is fine.

Toms is pretty safe but giving out any personal information on any forum is not a good idea.

I always warn our younger users to be cautious and protect your privacy - if you have any concerns about a user behaving irresponsibly / creepy ... then report them.

PM Random is you have any concerns and he can test your account or get an admin to have a look for you mate.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
They shouldn't be showing up in a Google search since they are flagged as private entries on the forum. It may be a relational database thing happening. If it causes concern, definitely re-register with an alternate and omit your real name.