Sign in with
Your question

Question about SATA drivers and Installation of XP.

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
November 25, 2006 2:25:17 AM

Ok, I have a question about sata drivers and installation of XP on them. First I only have 1 250GB sata drive with me for my new build. I will be installing XP home. My mobo is a Gigabyte M55SLI-S4 (Nvidia nForce 4 Chipset)

1) Will I have to install the sata drivers for installation of xp?

2) (If #1 is yes), What driver do I install for xp install? The online manual is HERE at GIGABYTE and look at page 78, figure 12. The first 2 steps of sata installation and 5th I understand, but step 4 I do not. 3 is excluded unless you use RAID.

3) Or, (if I dont use question #2), what driver do I install from the HDD site? This is the one I have.
November 26, 2006 3:03:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, I have a question about sata drivers and installation of XP on them. First I only have 1 250GB sata drive with me for my new build. I will be installing XP home. My mobo is a Gigabyte M55SLI-S4 (Nvidia nForce 4 Chipset)

1) Will I have to install the sata drivers for installation of xp?

2) (If #1 is yes), What driver do I install for xp install? The online manual is HERE at GIGABYTE and look at page 78, figure 12. The first 2 steps of sata installation and 5th I understand, but step 4 I do not. 3 is excluded unless you use RAID.

3) Or, (if I dont use question #2), what driver do I install from the HDD site? This is the one I have.

no, if not set as RAID, you won't need drivers.
November 26, 2006 5:09:46 PM

Quote:

I was about to agree that you do not need any drivers unless you are using RAID. Then I looked at the steps in the manual you linked to. The following statement makes very little sense to me:

Quote:
To install operating system onto a serial ATA hard disk successfully, you need to install the SATA controller driver during OS installation. Without the driver, the hard disk may not be recognized during the Windows setup process.

What I suggest is to first try ignoring the instructions to create and use a SATA driver disk. Just boot from the Win XP SP2 install CD. (Your Win XP install CD does include SP2, correct?) If there is any decency in the world, then the windows drivers to recognize/use the SATA port on your motherboard should already be in Windows. And if Windows recognizes your SATA HD and the install works, then fine. You're done.

But if Windows does not recognize your SATA HD, then you can always go back and create a SATA driver install floppy as outlined in step 4. Then do the install again and provide this driver at the beginning of the Windows install.

What is it about step (4) you don't understand? This step describes how to create a floppy diskette that contains a windows driver supposedly needed to recognize the SATA drives on your motherboard. This is motherboard related driver, not a hard disk. You do not need any drivers to access you HD.

Step 4 is not a task to perform during the windows install process. It is something you do before the windows install to create the floppy disk you may need to use at the beginning of the windows install.

But like I said, first try to install Win XP SP2 without this floppy nonsense. It should work and maybe it will.

-john, the redundant legacy dinosaur
!