Ghost 9 or Drive Image 7?

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

In the past using Win98 I found Drive Image much easier to use than Ghost.
Symantec have now taken over DI and supposedly the new Ghost 9 takes the
best of both but does it? If buying one should I go for the DI 7 or Ghost
9?
Would welcome any comments from anyone who has used both.

--

Kenny

I would go with Ghost 9. I have used both and find no significant
differences between DI7 and Ghost 9 for my use. (Basically back up to file
on another drive )
There is a difference in the included program Ghost 2003 and drive image
2002 for use with earlier operating systems.

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In the past using Win98 I found Drive Image much easier to use than Ghost.
> Symantec have now taken over DI and supposedly the new Ghost 9 takes the
> best of both but does it? If buying one should I go for the DI 7 or Ghost
> 9?
> Would welcome any comments from anyone who has used both.
>
> --
>
> Kenny

milt

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

Jon,

I can't tell you which is better. But I recently bought a
copy of Ghost 9. With an upgrade rebate and a mail-in
rebate I was able to get it for $70-($20 mail-in)-($30
upgrade)=$20. So far I've only used it to make an image of
my HD on CD's. I can say that it's easier to use than
older versions of Ghost though.

Milt

I changed to Ghost 9 from Drive Image 7. Have had occasion twice in the
last 3 months to restore my drives with the Ghost 9 backup. Had to do both
times through booting with the Ghost CD because my system had some really
bad problems. Restoration worked smoothly and quickly, although the User's
Guide could have better explained the procedure. Have to say that despite
Symantec's deplorable tech support and administrative procedures, Ghost
still does what it is supposed to do.

I didn't have the backup image on CDs/DVDs -- instead I backed up to a
dedicated partition on a second HD. So when my system encountered severe
problems it didn't affect the image backup on the separate HD; therefore I
was able to access the image.