IP Camera as a viable security camera alternative ?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
June 9, 2004 4:36:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.security.dealers,alt.security,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation (More info?)

There is an ongoing discussion thread on IP camera. I saw some good
discussions about security system installers putting IP cameras in
shops. I checked out the web site shown in the discussion thread. It
seems that all the functions needed for a typical shop are all there
(motion detection, video recording, video output to quad processor and
monitor, ...). The video quality also looks good. Based on the price
given on the company's web site, I can put together a system with four
cameras that cost $400 instead of the $1000 or so that I am buying now
for four cameras, video capture card, and software. Also, there is no
wiring issue, no hardware board installation issue. ...

Am I missing something? Is the IP camera replacing the traditional
camera/video capture card approach? Is it better for us to recommend
our customer to go with the IP camera approach?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 9, 2004 4:07:01 PM

"Peter" <peterdole65@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There is an ongoing discussion thread on IP camera. I saw some good
> discussions about security system installers putting IP cameras in
> shops. I checked out the web site shown in the discussion thread. It
> seems that all the functions needed for a typical shop are all there
> (motion detection, video recording, video output to quad processor and
> monitor, ...). The video quality also looks good. Based on the price
> given on the company's web site, I can put together a system with four
> cameras that cost $400 instead of the $1000 or so that I am buying now
> for four cameras, video capture card, and software. Also, there is no
> wiring issue, no hardware board installation issue. ...
>
> Am I missing something? Is the IP camera replacing the traditional
> camera/video capture card approach? Is it better for us to recommend
> our customer to go with the IP camera approach?

Consider HomeSentinel. It might do what you want for
a lot less. Try the free, unlimited Basic version at
http://appsoft.vze.com.

-- Bob Day
June 9, 2004 4:21:24 PM

"Bob Day" <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com> wrote in message news:<F3Dxc.19014$321.9275@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>...
> "Peter" <peterdole65@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > There is an ongoing discussion thread on IP camera. I saw some good
> > discussions about security system installers putting IP cameras in
> > shops. I checked out the web site shown in the discussion thread. It
> > seems that all the functions needed for a typical shop are all there
> > (motion detection, video recording, video output to quad processor and
> > monitor, ...). The video quality also looks good. Based on the price
> > given on the company's web site, I can put together a system with four
> > cameras that cost $400 instead of the $1000 or so that I am buying now
> > for four cameras, video capture card, and software. Also, there is no
> > wiring issue, no hardware board installation issue. ...
> >
> > Am I missing something? Is the IP camera replacing the traditional
> > camera/video capture card approach? Is it better for us to recommend
> > our customer to go with the IP camera approach?
>
> Consider HomeSentinel. It might do what you want for
> a lot less. Try the free, unlimited Basic version at
> http://appsoft.vze.com.
>
> -- Bob Day

Dear Bob,

Please do now use this thread as a way for you to advertise your
product. What you will get is negative advertisement. For eample, your
HomeSentinel product uses Windows Media Encoder which will have a hugh
delay of 8-15 seconds. It is not suitable for security applications.
The Windows Media Encoder will also use close to 100% of the CPU so it
will take up to 20 watts more power which costs money. Also, how are
you going to connect four webcams around the building when the USB
cable can only go up to 12 feet? If you can not solve these problems,
you still need to go back to my video capture card approach. Beside
the camera/video capture card approach that I am using now, the IP
camera is the only viable approach that I can find which does not have
any of the problems your product has.

Peter
a b 8 Security
June 9, 2004 4:59:35 PM

On 9 Jun 2004 00:36:55 -0700, peterdole65@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:

>There is an ongoing discussion thread on IP camera. I saw some good
>discussions about security system installers putting IP cameras in
>shops. I checked out the web site shown in the discussion thread. It
>seems that all the functions needed for a typical shop are all there
>(motion detection, video recording, video output to quad processor and
>monitor, ...). The video quality also looks good.

But are any of the IP cameras weatherproof? I have yet to see one that is.
My future application (which is why I read these threads) is to monitor my
front doors. One camera can get both, and the back is protected and doesn't
need monitoring. So mine would be a simple single camera application. But
the camera has to be outside.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 10, 2004 12:27:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.security.dealers,alt.security,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation (More info?)

Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in

> But are any of the IP cameras weatherproof? I have yet to see one that
> is. My future application (which is why I read these threads) is to
> monitor my front doors.

Most CCTV cameras (non-bullet types) are not weather proof either and
require a housing.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b 8 Security

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> On 9 Jun 2004 00:36:55 -0700, peterdole65@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:
>
> >There is an ongoing discussion thread on IP camera. I saw some good
> >discussions about security system installers putting IP cameras in
> >shops. I checked out the web site shown in the discussion thread. It
> >seems that all the functions needed for a typical shop are all there
> >(motion detection, video recording, video output to quad processor and
> >monitor, ...). The video quality also looks good.
>
> But are any of the IP cameras weatherproof? I have yet to see one that is.
> My future application (which is why I read these threads) is to monitor my
> front doors. One camera can get both, and the back is protected and
doesn't
> need monitoring. So mine would be a simple single camera application. But
> the camera has to be outside.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/netcam/index.htm

Check these out.. Little pricey but...

You can see a demo here at
www.bit-man.com
June 10, 2004 7:26:26 PM

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:42:12 GMT, "Bit-Man" <Bit-Man@home.com> wrote:

>http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/netcam/index.htm
>
>Check these out.. Little pricey but...
>
>You can see a demo here at
>www.bit-man.com

Yep, I'd just love to own the Toshiba IK-WB11A. Most people sell it for
$599. Sometimes Amazon sells it for less, but I'm tempted to spend the
$599 at a local retailer, in case I need to return it. I've had trouble
with Network Cameras (DLink), and will not tolerate speaking to an 18 year
old nerd in tech support who has no idea why the product doesn't work.

My dream is to get the Toshiba, put it on a UPS along with my broadband
modem and router, and have images uploaded to my secure ftp site. Then if
anybody breaks in, and even cuts the power, they'll still be photographed.
The phone lines are secure enough that I don't have to worry about them
getting snipped. Is this feasable?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 11, 2004 4:39:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.security.dealers,alt.security,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation (More info?)

The Windows Media Encoder will also use close to 100% of the CPU so it
> will take up to 20 watts more power which costs money.

8% CPU utilisation on my PC.....
Have it running all day.

T.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 11, 2004 8:43:39 PM

"Frog" <FrogRemailer@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:42:12 GMT, "Bit-Man" <Bit-Man@home.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/netcam/index.htm
> >
> >Check these out.. Little pricey but...
> >
> >You can see a demo here at
> >www.bit-man.com
> >

> Yep, I'd just love to own the Toshiba IK-WB11A. Most people sell it for
> $599. Sometimes Amazon sells it for less, but I'm tempted to spend the
> $599 at a local retailer, in case I need to return it. I've had trouble
> with Network Cameras (DLink), and will not tolerate speaking to an 18 year
> old nerd in tech support who has no idea why the product doesn't work.
>
> My dream is to get the Toshiba, put it on a UPS along with my broadband
> modem and router, and have images uploaded to my secure ftp site. Then if
> anybody breaks in, and even cuts the power, they'll still be photographed.
> The phone lines are secure enough that I don't have to worry about them
> getting snipped. Is this feasable?

Sure it will work fine. Another thought is that the camera itself has a SD
slot built in so even if it can not send the pics wireless or wired ( This
can use either ) it then will start storing them local on the SD card.
Great solution for a 24/7 approach. Even at night this has several options
to increase the iris dwell time in order to let more light in. Even in my
remote location it still shows a usable picture from 2am. Very cool.
Overall great cam with a mile long list of options. Some problems can be
expected though from not enough bandwith from a remote location. I have
cable and will saturate the u/l this if I use too high update time and too
large picture.

Rich stuff but I managed convice myself its was a very cool toy. To use it a
bizz enviroment as a security tool is very feasible.
June 17, 2004 6:12:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.security.dealers,alt.security,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation (More info?)

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> But are any of the IP cameras weatherproof? I have yet to see one that is.

I bought a $30 indoor camera on a close-out sale and installed it high on
the gable end of the garage over the big door. I intended to slip a jar of
some kind over it to keep the rain and snow off, but the camera has a bunch
of IR LEDs built in for illumination, and they reflected badly off the jar.
Thinking this was a short term project, I simply taped a piece of plastic
food wrap tightly around the camera. It has been through two years of heat
and cold, rain and snow, and has never missed a beat.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 17, 2004 3:47:59 PM

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:27:49 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>
>> But are any of the IP cameras weatherproof? I have yet to see one that
>> is. My future application (which is why I read these threads) is to
>> monitor my front doors.
>
>Most CCTV cameras (non-bullet types) are not weather proof either and
>require a housing.

Okay. Do you know of any housings for an IP camera? Unlike Photon my
application is on the side of a building and will get hit directly by the
weather. And it will be on the front, so it must look decent.

What is needed is a weatherproof bullet type IP camera.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 17, 2004 4:41:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.security.dealers,alt.security,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation (More info?)

Have you always used the same brand of food wrap ... what brand ? Maybe I
can try it as sort of a replaceable dust/spatter wrap around a 35mm film cam
lens mounted similar here. (Screws into a flashlight case with cam guts
inside).

"Photon" <Photon@NoSpam.com> wrote in message

> "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> > But are any of the IP cameras weatherproof? I have yet to see one that
is.

> I bought a $30 indoor camera on a close-out sale and installed it high on
> the gable end of the garage over the big door. I intended to slip a jar
of
> some kind over it to keep the rain and snow off, but the camera has a
bunch
> of IR LEDs built in for illumination, and they reflected badly off the
jar.
> Thinking this was a short term project, I simply taped a piece of plastic
> food wrap tightly around the camera. It has been through two years of
heat
> and cold, rain and snow, and has never missed a beat.

June 18, 2004 4:46:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.security.dealers,alt.security,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation (More info?)

I really don't know what was in the pantry a couple years ago, but it is
"Glad ClingWrap crystal clear polyethylene" now. Since my better half is a
creature of habit, that is probably what I used back then. I'd check it
over every couple months if I had it protecting a valuable lens. I only
examine mine whenever I climb up there to clean up the spider webs. I found
the 3M electrical tape I used to secure it was somewhat loose, so I replaced
that once.

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message
> Have you always used the same brand of food wrap ... what brand ? Maybe
> can try it as sort of a replaceable dust/spatter wrap around a 35mm film
cam
> lens mounted similar here. (Screws into a flashlight case with cam guts
> inside).
>
> "Photon" <Photon@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> > > But are any of the IP cameras weatherproof? I have yet to see one that
> is.
> >
> > I bought a $30 indoor camera on a close-out sale and installed it high
on
> > the gable end of the garage over the big door. I intended to slip a jar
> of
> > some kind over it to keep the rain and snow off, but the camera has a
> bunch
> > of IR LEDs built in for illumination, and they reflected badly off the
> jar.
> > Thinking this was a short term project, I simply taped a piece of
plastic
> > food wrap tightly around the camera. It has been through two years of
> heat
> > and cold, rain and snow, and has never missed a beat.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 18, 2004 8:06:40 AM

Don Wiss wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:27:49 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
>

>>Don Wiss wrote:
>>

>>>But are any of the IP cameras weatherproof? I have yet to see one that
>>>is. My future application (which is why I read these threads) is to
>>>monitor my front doors.
>>
>>Most CCTV cameras (non-bullet types) are not weather proof either and
>>require a housing.
>

> Okay. Do you know of any housings for an IP camera? Unlike Photon my
> application is on the side of a building and will get hit directly by the
> weather. And it will be on the front, so it must look decent.
>
> What is needed is a weatherproof bullet type IP camera.

Lots of NEMA enclosured might to it. And look ok.

Or you do the dome thing if you don't want people to know where you're
aiming.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 21, 2004 3:00:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.security.dealers,alt.security,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.home.automation (More info?)

> Thinking this was a short term project, I simply taped a piece of plastic
> food wrap tightly around the camera. It has been through two years of heat
> and cold, rain and snow, and has never missed a beat.

Bear in mind that most plastic wrap is intended to degrade. This to help cut
down on landfill waste. That and unless is intended for outdoor use the UV rays
in sunlight will break it down pretty rapidly. So I wouldn't be so confident
about how 'well' it's standing up to the elements.
!