Sign in with
Your question

Pentium EE 965 Costs More Than Kentsfield???

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Intel
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 25, 2006 4:48:30 AM

Is someone at Intel smokin' wacky tobacky? This is like Ford pricing the Focus higher than the Shelby GT500! :?

More about : pentium 965 costs kentsfield

November 25, 2006 4:58:21 AM

It's only one dollar more, but your point is taken. It's been that way for a while, and you're not the first one to question that price. Now, my definition of comedy are some of the Newegg reviews for the 965 EE.
November 25, 2006 5:05:34 AM

Quote:
Now, my definition of comedy are some of the Newegg reviews for the 965 EE.

Yeah, I love this one:

Pros: I don't know how anybody can ignore this, but this processor is clocked at 3.73 GHz whereas the Core 2s aren't even clocked at 3ghz. OBVIOUSLY this is gonna be faster! Intel is making big mistake by thinking people won't notice that the new processors are so much slower. I mean, some of those new ones are only 2Ghz! I am extremely happy with my purchase of this.

Cons: I suggest getting an aftermarket cooler since it's a bit hot at times during extreme usage.

A bit hot? :lol: 

JumpingJack, given that chart does anyone have a leg to stand on by claiming that the EE 965 is worth the money over a Kentsfield?
Related resources
November 25, 2006 5:36:36 AM

It's the 50% stupidity surcharge that makes the 965 EE so expensive. :roll:
November 25, 2006 6:09:13 AM

For a $100 you can get the quad core QX6700 (not from Newegg, they are selling it for around $1500) and yet people still buy this cpu.
November 25, 2006 6:21:24 AM

As dumb as it is, Newegg probably is stuck with an influx of these from months ago (if you check the reviews, they're almost all old), and they simply can't part with them for less than they paid for them. All it takes is a few suckers to base their purchases on the clock speed, and all is well for Newegg.

In a way I can't blame them. It's just business.
November 25, 2006 6:26:21 AM

I was having the same thoughts about that chip and some others of the previous generation. Honestly, I don't know if they are counting on people being fools so the can clear their inventory(I wouldn't count on that) but they need to seriously revise their pricing policies. In the actual market, there is no way that chip will sell for that price.

It's not only on newegg, I check on a regular base the website of a couple of shops around my neighbourhood and when they have that chip available, the pricing is just as bad.

It's true it's business but in the end you might want to sell it short and cut you loses than not selling it at all.
November 25, 2006 6:42:50 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I love this one:

Pros: I don't know how anybody can ignore this, but this processor is clocked at 3.73 GHz whereas the Core 2s aren't even clocked at 3ghz. OBVIOUSLY this is gonna be faster! Intel is making big mistake by thinking people won't notice that the new processors are so much slower. I mean, some of those new ones are only 2Ghz! I am extremely happy with my purchase of this.

Cons: I suggest getting an aftermarket cooler since it's a bit hot at times during extreme usage.

The best part of that is, the buyer posted his knowledge of the product, or "tech level", as being high. :p 
November 25, 2006 7:15:01 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I love this one:

The best part of that is, the buyer posted his knowledge of the product, or "tech level", as being high. :p The only thing that's high...are the levels of THC in his bloodstream. :D 
November 25, 2006 9:52:03 AM

Quote:

The best part of that is, the buyer posted his knowledge of the product, or "tech level", as being high. :p 
The only thing that's high...are the levels of THC in his bloodstream. :D 

THC... is that Tom's Hardware Cannabinol? :wink:

Quote:
For a $100 you can get the quad core QX6700 (not from Newegg, they are selling it for around $1500) and yet people still buy this cpu.

A hundred bucks? Send me a case of 500 QX6700 please! Ebay, here I come!!!! :lol: 
November 25, 2006 10:35:16 AM

Quote:

Quote of the morning. :trophy:
November 25, 2006 10:45:41 AM

Quote:

Quote of the morning. :trophy:

I'd say quote of the week to be honest!
November 25, 2006 10:55:09 AM

Yep I agree, Quote of the Week :trophy: ... now he has two.
November 25, 2006 11:14:10 AM

Quote:
Yep I agree, Quote of the Week :trophy: ... now he has two.

And i still have zero!

Better get working on my "Wit".
November 25, 2006 11:15:09 AM

I'd give you one but I'm straight out.
November 25, 2006 11:58:21 AM

Quote:

Haha excellent!

Quote:
The fastest processor currently on the market. You can't trust random benchmarks from the tech websites since they don't measure real world performance. That's all that matters. I got tricked into getting the Core 2 X6800 by what everyone else was saying and when using both my PCs side-by-side, this one is defintely faster even though it has less RAM.

Quote:
Pros: I can't believe I waited - this thing is smokin! I do a lot of video editting and I can fly through it in half of the time now.
Cons: Somewhat expensive.
Other Thoughts: this > Core 2 Duos

Oh dear. These people need to be tracked down and removed from the world.
November 25, 2006 12:10:48 PM

In some very heavy SSE2 (SSE3 ?) applications the high clock speed Pentium D EE / (Pentium X they are called now though) still performs quite well.

Overpriced for the performance they get, but can beat a Core 2 Duo in a 'minority' of benchmarks.

Still I think they're crazy.
November 25, 2006 12:18:13 PM

Quote:
The fastest processor currently on the market. You can't trust random benchmarks from the tech websites since they don't measure real world performance. That's all that matters. I got tricked into getting the Core 2 X6800 by what everyone else was saying and when using both my PCs side-by-side, this one is defintely faster even though it has less RAM.

hahahahaahah !

Damn those tech websites leading people astray !
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2006 1:03:49 PM

Quote:

d00d, c'mon, I don't care how efficient a Core 2 Duo is, there's no way it will beat 7.46GHz of RAW COMPUTING POWER (3.73x2)!!!

:p 
November 25, 2006 1:18:02 PM

When you need to sell off old stock, trust big numbers. They're your friend.
November 25, 2006 1:29:44 PM

The E6400's "performance rating is 1.72, and the 5000+ is 1.70 - why is the 5000+ further right on the performance axis than the E6400?
A bit off-topic, but am i missing something here? 8O
November 25, 2006 1:33:14 PM

Quote:
Is someone at Intel smokin' wacky tobacky? This is like Ford pricing the Focus higher than the Shelby GT500! :?

It's actually like having the E6300 at $180 while it will drag the 965 outside and beat the crap out of it.

Great company you guys believe in.
:oops: 
November 25, 2006 1:37:15 PM

No, its more from the fact that Intel actually is smart enough to know that there are still morons out there that will be lured in by the big numbers.
Seriously, do you expect them to be all nice and just give these away?
Meh.
Ninja
November 25, 2006 1:50:36 PM

The reviews are hilarious.
November 25, 2006 1:51:46 PM

Quote:
No, its more from the fact that Intel actually is smart enough to know that there are still morons out there that will be lured in by the big numbers.
Meh.
Ninja

Why not they're giving away Core 2.
November 25, 2006 1:58:59 PM

Quote:

Uhm, where? Let me in on the juicy info, oh Oracle of the Tech World.
Synergy6
November 25, 2006 2:13:07 PM

lol....i hope bm gets flamed....but w/e, i don't care about those prices if its not anything that I'm going to buy. let amd be all nice to people with pricing, they are still the worst.

edit: exept for netburst :D 
November 25, 2006 2:29:27 PM

Quote:

d00d, c'mon, I don't care how efficient a Core 2 Duo is, there's no way it will beat 7.46GHz of RAW COMPUTING POWER (3.73x2)!!!

:p 

Now that's just stating the obvious!

The funny thing is i actually know someone who thought his D820 was actually a 5.6ghz CPU because it had 2 x 2.8ghz cores. Whatever i said i couldn't change his mind! Some people are just ridiculous.
November 25, 2006 2:39:54 PM

Thats now the worse, people still paying up to $1000 for the 840 Extreme Edition and 955 Extreme Edition too and even the Gallatin 3.73Ghz!

I would tell Intel something...

[/i]Intel, you wanna get rid of Netburst? want to sell out those failures processors you made? Then give the Extreme edition processors a better price! 840EE maybe around $450-500, 955EE around $550-600 and the 965 around $650-700. Those would be great prices for those people looking to have something better than a FX-53 or FX-55 (cuz 57, 60 and 62 are way better than the 840,955 and 965. Also! you better low the price of that Gallatin processor at 3.73Ghz with 2mb of L2 cache and 1066mhz! just because it was the first one with 1066mhz FSB doesnt mean still an EE!

Thanks, an Intel fanboy 8)
November 25, 2006 2:40:05 PM

Quote:
Meh.
Ninja

I have to correct your statement Ninja - "Intel is actually cashing in on their own stupid marketing crusade of 'more is better' by selling these parts to the the mass moron-zombies who believe that higher Mhz = better performance." :) 

If it weren't for their insistance on pushing netburst/higher clockspeeds down everyone's throats for so long these idiots wouldn't be buying these parts. So Intel is partially to blame here...
November 25, 2006 2:43:08 PM

But if you don't do your research before you go out and buy something, you deserve what you get. Ignorance is no excuse when spending that much money.
November 25, 2006 2:49:57 PM

Quote:
that, and the extreme presler has hyperthreading, which might some people believe it is as good as quad core

I'll admit even I fell into this line of thinking when the first Prescott based cpu's came out - got a 3Ghz Prescott. I'd been out of the loop for a while regarding processor architecture (pure inattentiveness on my part) and thought simply Faster+2 "virtual" cpu's = better. (Intel Martketing FTL)

2 months later I dumped it for an A64 3000+ and then when the A64 3700+ San Diegos came out I grabbed one of those.

In other words I started paying attention again.
November 25, 2006 2:50:53 PM

Quote:
But if you don't do your research before you go out and buy something, you deserve what you get. Ignorance is no excuse when spending that much money.

See my last post. I don't disagree with you there - but to that I ask what's the ratio of ignorant masses to informed geeks? :lol: 
November 25, 2006 2:54:30 PM

A million to one odds. Any takers?
November 25, 2006 2:56:07 PM

Quote:
A million to one odds. Any takers?

Nope. :p 
November 25, 2006 2:58:18 PM

Ah to hell with you... *walks off muttering about wusses that don't know a good bet when they see one*
November 25, 2006 3:07:17 PM

Quote:
Ah to hell with you... *walks off muttering about wusses that don't know a good bet when they see one*

8)
November 25, 2006 3:08:23 PM

Quote:
that, and the extreme presler has hyperthreading, which might some people believe it is as good as quad core

In video encoding it outperformed my quad-core Opteron 270, using 2 x Netburst cores, each with Hyper-Threading.

... and it (or its previous part) cost half as much as my Opteron 270 system to build.

For video editing they are excellent, but not worth the premium (just wait overnight and use medium resolution preview).

Long, dual-core, threaded, SSE2/3 capable chips have a niché place in the market. But as above, I still think they're crazy.
November 25, 2006 4:13:12 PM

Quote:
Thats now the worse, people still paying up to $1000 for the 840 Extreme Edition and 955 Extreme Edition too and even the Gallatin 3.73Ghz!

I would tell Intel something...

Intel, you wanna get rid of Netburst? want to sell out those failures processors you made? Then give the Extreme edition processors a better price! 840EE maybe around $450-500, 955EE around $550-600 and the 965 around $650-700. Those would be great prices for those people looking to have something better than a FX-53 or FX-55 (cuz 57, 60 and 62 are way better than the 840,955 and 965. Also! you better low the price of that Gallatin processor at 3.73Ghz with 2mb of L2 cache and 1066mhz! just because it was the first one with 1066mhz FSB doesnt mean still an EE!

Thanks, an Intel fanboy 8)
[/i]Even those prices would be asking for too much. $250-300 sounds a little better for the 965EE.
November 25, 2006 5:04:49 PM

Quote:
I'll admit even I fell into this line of thinking when the first Prescott based cpu's came out - got a 3Ghz Prescott. I'd been out of the loop for a while regarding processor architecture (pure inattentiveness on my part) and thought simply Faster+2 "virtual" cpu's = better. (Intel Martketing FTL)

Surely, considering the purpose of marketing, this could be considered quite a success :) 

Quote:
Definitely netburst is the worst, but I think amd's are actually pretty fast, only thing is that intel finally got something right that is faster, so everybody suddenly thinks amd are horrible. only one word:hype

To be honest, this doesn't make much sense. Performance is always relative. Your logic would presumably argue that a Duron 600MHz is still a scorching CPU, and the fact that other CPUs have got faster (and therefore most people would consider the Duron pretty horrible) is simply "hype".

Synergy6
November 25, 2006 5:28:23 PM

Well yeah but as everybody says, Intel know there are morons! outside that buy processors depending on their numbers (example 3.0Ghz) and thats why they still sell them for $1000.
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2006 5:31:29 PM

Buy a 920 and set the bus speed to 1066, viola, EE965.

965 is a far better winter processor than any "efficient" design, so long as your office is the coldest room in the house!
November 25, 2006 5:52:31 PM

I´m not sure they are still manufacturing them. It´s more like some shops still have them in stock and won´t lower their prices or so.

Just like the PD 840 prices aren´t based on supply and demand but on supply only which makes the whole performance/money chart totally worthless. To ge an idea about what they are real worth, you have to check for what they are sold on ebay. Usually the prices for current processors (at least in europe) are close to what they are sold for if they are new. The older extreme editions rarely go over 450 Euro (840 EE, 955 EE, 965EE). And that´s what they are worth.
November 25, 2006 6:07:29 PM

Quote:
Meh.
Ninja

I have seen you arguing that Intel sells the Core 2 Duo's too cheap. I understand that you see this as an attack on AMD, but wouldn't it be monopolistic behavior to overprize their processors, simply because the competision can't keep up in the development.
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2006 6:16:47 PM

LOL. Gotta agree with a few here. The Intel 950, 960, Exreme cpus are for the morons. PPL with not enough brain cells to figure out the Core 2 cpus stomp them badly and still running 1ghz SLOWER and CHEAPER. Funny there are still morons around that think it's the mhz that is the speed, not how many instuctions it can to in that 1mhz cycle. Kinda like trying to run in first gear at 3700rpm, instead of switching to 2ND GEAR at only 2000rpm and go much faster! Gotta love em!
November 25, 2006 6:27:57 PM

Quote:
Kinda like trying to run in first gear at 3700rpm, instead of switching to 2ND GEAR at only 2000rpm and go much faster! Gotta love em!

Finally a good anology!
I have seen so many, not only in this thread. This is the winner. :D 
November 25, 2006 6:28:53 PM

Dear lord. One link and I've derailed the entire thread.
For the record, this is what Intel did with Netbu(r)st:

And for the person who asked, I believe the 965EE was axed last month.
November 25, 2006 6:38:13 PM

link not working...
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2006 6:44:55 PM

Quote:

I have seen you arguing that Intel sells the Core 2 Duo's too cheap. I understand that you see this as an attack on AMD, but wouldn't it be monopolistic behavior to overprize their processors, simply because the competision can't keep up in the development.

No, just the opposite. It's monopolistic behavior to sell at a low price to undercut all competitors and put them out of business. This is exactly how Standard Oil did it: They were big enough to sell at a loss on local markets and do so longer than their competitors could. Then when their competitors went bankrupt, Standard Oil bought them. Standard Oil then worked its way up the chain until they owned nearly every oil supplier in the U.S.

Then they were broken up by the feds, became the much smaller "American Oil", changed their name to "Amoco", and got bought out by Brittish Petrolium. You see, breaking up monopolies has its downside too...
November 25, 2006 7:10:43 PM

Quote:

No, just the opposite. It's monopolistic behavior to sell at a low price to undercut all competitors and put them out of business. This is exactly how Standard Oil did it: They were big enough to sell at a loss on local markets and do so longer than their competitors could. Then when their competitors went bankrupt, Standard Oil bought them. Standard Oil then worked its way up the chain until they owned nearly every oil supplier in the U.S.

Then they were broken up by the feds, became the much smaller "American Oil", changed their name to "Amoco", and got bought out by Brittish Petrolium. You see, breaking up monopolies has its downside too...

But Intel is still making a profit. Don't they? I mean that Intel already has a monopoly in the high-end processors.
I don't think it would be fair to the consumers if they charged an overprize just because they have no competition. Now they set the prize to cover development, production and a reasonable profit.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!