Pentium EE 965 Costs More Than Kentsfield???

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
data.jpg

It's only one dollar more, but your point is taken. It's been that way for a while, and you're not the first one to question that price. Now, my definition of comedy are some of the Newegg reviews for the 965 EE.

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Now, my definition of comedy are some of the Newegg reviews for the 965 EE.

Yeah, I love this one:

Pros: I don't know how anybody can ignore this, but this processor is clocked at 3.73 GHz whereas the Core 2s aren't even clocked at 3ghz. OBVIOUSLY this is gonna be faster! Intel is making big mistake by thinking people won't notice that the new processors are so much slower. I mean, some of those new ones are only 2Ghz! I am extremely happy with my purchase of this.

Cons: I suggest getting an aftermarket cooler since it's a bit hot at times during extreme usage.

A bit hot? :lol:

JumpingJack, given that chart does anyone have a leg to stand on by claiming that the EE 965 is worth the money over a Kentsfield?

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
As dumb as it is, Newegg probably is stuck with an influx of these from months ago (if you check the reviews, they're almost all old), and they simply can't part with them for less than they paid for them. All it takes is a few suckers to base their purchases on the clock speed, and all is well for Newegg.

In a way I can't blame them. It's just business.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I was having the same thoughts about that chip and some others of the previous generation. Honestly, I don't know if they are counting on people being fools so the can clear their inventory(I wouldn't count on that) but they need to seriously revise their pricing policies. In the actual market, there is no way that chip will sell for that price.

It's not only on newegg, I check on a regular base the website of a couple of shops around my neighbourhood and when they have that chip available, the pricing is just as bad.

It's true it's business but in the end you might want to sell it short and cut you loses than not selling it at all.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, I love this one:

Pros: I don't know how anybody can ignore this, but this processor is clocked at 3.73 GHz whereas the Core 2s aren't even clocked at 3ghz. OBVIOUSLY this is gonna be faster! Intel is making big mistake by thinking people won't notice that the new processors are so much slower. I mean, some of those new ones are only 2Ghz! I am extremely happy with my purchase of this.

Cons: I suggest getting an aftermarket cooler since it's a bit hot at times during extreme usage.

The best part of that is, the buyer posted his knowledge of the product, or "tech level", as being high. :p

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I love this one:

The best part of that is, the buyer posted his knowledge of the product, or "tech level", as being high. :pThe only thing that's high...are the levels of THC in his bloodstream. :D

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The best part of that is, the buyer posted his knowledge of the product, or "tech level", as being high. :p
The only thing that's high...are the levels of THC in his bloodstream. :D

THC... is that Tom's Hardware Cannabinol? :wink:

For a $100 you can get the quad core QX6700 (not from Newegg, they are selling it for around $1500) and yet people still buy this cpu.

A hundred bucks? Send me a case of 500 QX6700 please! Ebay, here I come!!!! :lol:

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Haha excellent!

The fastest processor currently on the market. You can't trust random benchmarks from the tech websites since they don't measure real world performance. That's all that matters. I got tricked into getting the Core 2 X6800 by what everyone else was saying and when using both my PCs side-by-side, this one is defintely faster even though it has less RAM.

Pros: I can't believe I waited - this thing is smokin! I do a lot of video editting and I can fly through it in half of the time now.
Cons: Somewhat expensive.
Other Thoughts: this > Core 2 Duos

Oh dear. These people need to be tracked down and removed from the world.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
In some very heavy SSE2 (SSE3 ?) applications the high clock speed Pentium D EE / (Pentium X they are called now though) still performs quite well.

Overpriced for the performance they get, but can beat a Core 2 Duo in a 'minority' of benchmarks.

Still I think they're crazy.

sprite

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
The fastest processor currently on the market. You can't trust random benchmarks from the tech websites since they don't measure real world performance. That's all that matters. I got tricked into getting the Core 2 X6800 by what everyone else was saying and when using both my PCs side-by-side, this one is defintely faster even though it has less RAM.

hahahahaahah !

Damn those tech websites leading people astray !

Crimson_Yachiru

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
The E6400's "performance rating is 1.72, and the 5000+ is 1.70 - why is the 5000+ further right on the performance axis than the E6400?
A bit off-topic, but am i missing something here? 8O

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Is someone at Intel smokin' wacky tobacky? This is like Ford pricing the Focus higher than the Shelby GT500! :?

It's actually like having the E6300 at $180 while it will drag the 965 outside and beat the crap out of it.

Great company you guys believe in.
:oops:

No, its more from the fact that Intel actually is smart enough to know that there are still morons out there that will be lured in by the big numbers.
Seriously, do you expect them to be all nice and just give these away?
Meh.
Ninja

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
No, its more from the fact that Intel actually is smart enough to know that there are still morons out there that will be lured in by the big numbers.
Seriously, do you expect them to be all nice and just give these away?
Meh.
Ninja

Why not they're giving away Core 2.