Help!!! New computer issues

racingultimatedrag

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Help!!! New computer issues
okay, i just got about all the stuff i need for my computer.

*PSU
*MOBO
*GRAPHICS CARD
*CPU
*RAM

And now im having issues, when i first started it it ran for about 30 seconds making beeping noises, then i somehow got it to show the asus(or abit) screen then it turned off again, so i figured its becuase i didnt plug everything in (fp audio, fp usb, fp firewire, reset sw,etc..) so i figure since i forgot to install the studs for the mobo i'd do that too, so when i get to the audio pins, i see a jumper or whatever its called, so i remove it and install the plugs and get everything else hooked up. then when i plug the power cable in and push the power button, nothing happens. I look at the status led or whatever on the motherboard(it shows numbers) and its on, so i know its getting power. So i figured its the jumper, and im looking around for it and i guess i lost it so out of luck there, any ideas. btw, the board is an ABIT AA8 DURAMAX.

plz someone help me!!!

racingultimatedrag

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
post codes:

84,96,9f(9f isnt listed in the manual)
in my book of the mobo:

its says post code 84:
initialize isa pnp boot devices

96:
1.build mp table
2.build and update escd
3.set cmos century to 20h or 19h
4.load cmos time into dos timer tick
5.build msirq routing table

i dont know what most this means since i also cant get into my bios since it shuts off after 30 seconds.

also i know have another problem, i couldnt get rid of the beep so i figured my power is on the wrong setting on the power supply. so i changed it from 115v/or 240w(whatever it was) then i turned it on and no power at all on the board. not even the post code leds lighting up.

any ideas? thanks for helping.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Readers... let this be a lesson to you. If you do not know what you are doing then please just buy a PC from a store. Do not build PC's unless you have some idea of what you are doing, it is extremely easy to break components and if you switch your power supply voltages around you could easily toast your motherboard too.

I thought this was a joke post when I read it... but I think this guy is serious !!! :roll:

racingultimatedrag

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Readers... let this be a lesson to you. If you do not know what you are doing then please just buy a PC from a store. Do not build PC's unless you have some idea of what you are doing, it is extremely easy to break components and if you switch your power supply voltages around you could easily toast your motherboard too.

I thought this was a joke post when I read it... but I think this guy is serious !!! :roll:
im serious,and ive built computers before.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Ok, you're serious... Then explain to me what damage might have been done when you seriously changed your PSU from 120V to 240V...

Hint: It could've been worse.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Well I thought this through and I guess if this guy is in the US and on 110v then switching to 240v wouldn't be a big deal. I guess you'd cut the voltages to the motherboard in half, and this might not be a big deal. If you live in a country with 220 or 240 volts moving the toggle to the 110 position would double the output voltages... which could cause one of those "hhhmmm... I smell something burning" moments.

The thing that worries me in the original post is that line about forgetting to install the motherboard posts. What happened ? Did you screw the motherboard straight down to the case and then plug in the power ? If you did there is a strong posibility you shorted various items of the motherboard to ground or possibly applied higher voltages to certain other delicate electronics. This could be an issue.

The jumper you are missing on the audio connection is probably one of the loop backs for front panel audio. If the jumpers are on, the feeds for mic and output are sent to the rear panel. If you remove the jumpers the audio doesn't go anywhere until you hook up a front audio panel. This should not affect your ability to get the board to POST.

There are so many unanswered questions about the equipment you are using, power supply, memory etc. that I can't do much more to help you.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Got it in one... But the OP still hasn't. As to the standoff bit, not sure. How could a 'grounded' MB even post? ???? I'm pretty sure we'll never know.

Oh well... Live and learn

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I'd love to say I'd never made a mistake installing a motherboard, but I'll admit to having put stand-offs in the wrong places and then I had to completely dissassemble a machine because of it. I've never toasted a motherboard (touch wood) but in the old days (mid nineties) equipment seemed a lot more likely to die from the mildest of static discharge or overvoltage. I have lost NIC's and modems and even knocked a surface mount capacitor off a hard drive once, while putting it in a machine ( ouch !!! ). I've luckily never lost a CPU to overheating or bent pins, although I have seen burnt and damaged ones.

You do live and learn... always. Never underestimate stupidity... even your own. :oops: