Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Excel macros in pocketpc

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:53:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi, All!
Can anyone advise me a software that can read and edit native MSExcel 95/97
files and supports macros?
The main goal is to read a range from .xls file, put the data to .txt file
and send it as attachment via e-mail to predetermined address (or, as the
body of the letter).
I tried the:
1.SpreadCE. Is good enough, but works veeeeeeery slow... :-(
2.PTab. Hasn't functions to store data to external files
3.Pocket Excel. Can nothing...

Your advises?
Thanks.

PS: Sorry my English
--
Regards, Vadim Panov

More about : excel macros pocketpc

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:53:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "Vadim Panov" <vp_email@yahoo.com> (Tue, 01 Mar 2005
05:53:02) about ""Excel macros in pocketpc"":

> Hi, All!
> Can anyone advise me a software that can read and edit native MSExcel
> 95/97 files and supports macros? The main goal is to read a range from .
> xls file, put the data to .txt file and send it as attachment via e-mail
> to predetermined address (or, as the body of the letter). I tried the:
> 1.SpreadCE. Is good enough, but works veeeeeeery slow... :-(
> 2.PTab. Hasn't functions to store data to external files
> 3.Pocket Excel. Can nothing...

> Your advises?
> Thanks.

Planmaker. Quite robust with its function support, and graphics as well.
But I am not sure it supports output through functions, although it does do
txt output, etc. There is a free trial.

It sounds like you merely need to read in a xls, transform data to selected
cells, blow away everything else and save as text for emailing. This would
be a simple self-destructing spreadsheet, but not sure if you have control
over the source xls.

(ptab was a great spreadsheet program, the programming capabilities were
terrific. I just needed more functions and wanted the graphics, so I moved
on to planmaker)
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:53:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Vadim,

You should take a look at SoftMaker's PlanMaker. It will likely do what you
need and is available in a 30-day demonstration version for you to try out.

For information, go to http://www.softmaker.de/pm_en.htm
For a review of PlanMaker, go to
http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/softmaker/planmaker...

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!


"Vadim Panov" <vp_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:endBlxkHFHA.3108@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi, All!
> Can anyone advise me a software that can read and edit native MSExcel
> 95/97
> files and supports macros?
> The main goal is to read a range from .xls file, put the data to .txt file
> and send it as attachment via e-mail to predetermined address (or, as the
> body of the letter).
> I tried the:
> 1.SpreadCE. Is good enough, but works veeeeeeery slow... :-(
> 2.PTab. Hasn't functions to store data to external files
> 3.Pocket Excel. Can nothing...
>
> Your advises?
> Thanks.
>
> PS: Sorry my English
> --
> Regards, Vadim Panov
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:31:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,

PlanMaker's user manual says:

PlanMaker is not able to execute macros and VBA scripts. When an Excel
file is opened that contains macros or scripts, they will be ignored.
However,
PlanMaker will not remove them - if the file is saved in Excel format,
the macros and scripts will remain functional.

Did you mean something else?

--
Regards, Vadim Panov


"xTenn" <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote in message
news:1109699699@xtennremovethispart.tds.net...
> Reply to message from "Vadim Panov" <vp_email@yahoo.com> (Tue, 01 Mar 2005
> 05:53:02) about ""Excel macros in pocketpc"":
>
> Planmaker. Quite robust with its function support, and graphics as well.
> But I am not sure it supports output through functions, although it does
do
> txt output, etc. There is a free trial.
>
> It sounds like you merely need to read in a xls, transform data to
selected
> cells, blow away everything else and save as text for emailing. This would
> be a simple self-destructing spreadsheet, but not sure if you have control
> over the source xls.
>
> (ptab was a great spreadsheet program, the programming capabilities were
> terrific. I just needed more functions and wanted the graphics, so I moved
> on to planmaker)
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:31:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "Vadim Panov" <vp_email@yahoo.com> (Wed, 02 Mar 2005
07:31:35) about ""Re: Excel macros in pocketpc"":

> Hi,

> PlanMaker's user manual says:

> PlanMaker is not able to execute macros and VBA scripts. When an Excel
> file is opened that contains macros or scripts, they will be ignored.
> However, PlanMaker will not remove them - if the file is saved in Excel
> format, the macros and scripts will remain functional.

> Did you mean something else?

No, I said planmaker had pretty robust set of functions, nothing about vba
or macros otherwise . I was hinting about simplifying your process if you
have control over the source. As it is you are using excel as a
transformation tool, not a spreadsheet.

My thoughts were that, if you had control over the source you could have a
template that would output the needed transformed data to another section
of the spreadsheet, allowing the original to be blown away (these cells)
and save to text the results. Barring that, you could have a template on
the ppc that you load, copy pertinent cells, load ss in question, paste in
transformation cells, blow away original, and save as text. Of course the
transformation will need to have a step to copy values at some point,
allowing the original reference cell to be removed, but this should be
obvious. This would work only if the ss you want to send stay pretty close
to a given template, otherwise you will have to do a lot of manipulation
each time.

As it is if you rely on aspects of excel that won't even work on a
different pc spreadsheet (or even versions of excel itself) then it is
doubtful that it will work on a device spreadsheet without changes.

Good luck
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:32:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thank you,

but see answer to xTenn...

--
Regards, Vadim Panov


"Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
<management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
news:#go$FbmHFHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Vadim,
>
> You should take a look at SoftMaker's PlanMaker. It will likely do what
you
> need and is available in a 30-day demonstration version for you to try
out.
>
> For information, go to http://www.softmaker.de/pm_en.htm
> For a review of PlanMaker, go to
> http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/softmaker/planmaker...
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>
>
> "Vadim Panov" <vp_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:endBlxkHFHA.3108@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hi, All!
> > Can anyone advise me a software that can read and edit native MSExcel
> > 95/97
> > files and supports macros?
> > The main goal is to read a range from .xls file, put the data to .txt
file
> > and send it as attachment via e-mail to predetermined address (or, as
the
> > body of the letter).
> > I tried the:
> > 1.SpreadCE. Is good enough, but works veeeeeeery slow... :-(
> > 2.PTab. Hasn't functions to store data to external files
> > 3.Pocket Excel. Can nothing...
> >
> > Your advises?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > PS: Sorry my English
> > --
> > Regards, Vadim Panov
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:10:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"xTenn" <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote in message
news:1109786656@xtennremovethispart.tds.net...
> Reply to message from "Vadim Panov" <vp_email@yahoo.com> (Wed, 02 Mar 2005
> 07:31:35) about ""Re: Excel macros in pocketpc"":

Very good idea!!!

The matter is that I need a solution that will allow a user not to do a lot
of manipulations by hand to send data. The best case is to "press a button"
and end to it. If it were MSExcel on desktop pc, I would write a macros ÛÔ
Excel book. As a last resort I would write an application in VB .NET that
read the data from the .xls file starting Pocket Excel and send that data
via Pocket Outlook, but Pocket Excel doesn't support automatization (Pocket
Outlook does).


> > Hi,
>
> > PlanMaker's user manual says:
>
> > PlanMaker is not able to execute macros and VBA scripts. When an Excel
> > file is opened that contains macros or scripts, they will be ignored.
> > However, PlanMaker will not remove them - if the file is saved in Excel
> > format, the macros and scripts will remain functional.
>
> > Did you mean something else?
>
> No, I said planmaker had pretty robust set of functions, nothing about vba
> or macros otherwise . I was hinting about simplifying your process if you
> have control over the source. As it is you are using excel as a
> transformation tool, not a spreadsheet.
>
> My thoughts were that, if you had control over the source you could have a
> template that would output the needed transformed data to another section
> of the spreadsheet, allowing the original to be blown away (these cells)
> and save to text the results. Barring that, you could have a template on
> the ppc that you load, copy pertinent cells, load ss in question, paste in
> transformation cells, blow away original, and save as text. Of course the
> transformation will need to have a step to copy values at some point,
> allowing the original reference cell to be removed, but this should be
> obvious. This would work only if the ss you want to send stay pretty close
> to a given template, otherwise you will have to do a lot of manipulation
> each time.
>
> As it is if you rely on aspects of excel that won't even work on a
> different pc spreadsheet (or even versions of excel itself) then it is
> doubtful that it will work on a device spreadsheet without changes.
>
> Good luck

--
Regards, Vadim Panov
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:10:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Vadim Panov" <vp_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:evV$S76HFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "xTenn" <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote in message
> news:1109786656@xtennremovethispart.tds.net...
>> Reply to message from "Vadim Panov" <vp_email@yahoo.com> (Wed, 02 Mar
>> 2005
>> 07:31:35) about ""Re: Excel macros in pocketpc"":
>
> Very good idea!!!
>
> The matter is that I need a solution that will allow a user not to do a
> lot
> of manipulations by hand to send data. The best case is to "press a
> button"
> and end to it. If it were MSExcel on desktop pc, I would write a macros ÛÔ
> Excel book. As a last resort I would write an application in VB .NET that
> read the data from the .xls file starting Pocket Excel and send that data
> via Pocket Outlook, but Pocket Excel doesn't support automatization
> (Pocket
> Outlook does).
>


Any danger of getting a csv export of the excel spreadsheet that would be
easier to manipulate? Maybe even the user on the PPC could save it as csv
and then a program can rip it apart, saving the trouble of having to code a
xls reader.

The good news is that mobile2005 is expanding the com interface for excel,
so maybe it will be possible to use the excel object on the PPC in the near
future.

So close, and yet so far...
!