Can I replace Dell Optiplex GX620 305W PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I'm trying to upgrade the video card in a Dell Optiplex GX620 (not my computer, I wouldn't have gotten a dell).

Can i replace the 305W (not a typo, ridiculous I know) PSU that comes with it? I have read rumors that dell uses different connectors/wiring, is this true? The computer is in a different city right now so I can't even open it up to check it out, its gonna be a couple of weeks till I can get to it. I don't want to fry the mobo if dell switched the wiring around in the connector. I tried googleing it but couldn't come up with a good answer. Has anyone out there had any experience with this or similar Dell models?

If the PSU cannot be upgraded can someone recommend a separate video card only power supply? (i.e. external/second power supply?)

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :wink:

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I'm afraid to say that you wouldn't be able to replace Dell PSU with a standard ATX PSU. Dell made their own PSU which is totally different shape, measure and of course wiring than normal ATX PSU.

I've found on the net one time that there's a company who create a PSU specialized for Dell computers. I'll try to check again and get back to you if i find it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unfortunately, you're going to have to LOOK at the power supply to figure out if it can be replaced with a "standard" unit. Dell moved most of their cases to "standard" power supplies AT the introduction of Pentium 4 processors: Pentium III's and earlier always used custom wiring.

Probably 90% of Dell's Pentium 4 systems came with a standard power supply, where the rare nonstandard version wasn't even similar. So it was easy to tell if it was standard. The problem with the standard power supply is, the case had part of the connector area blocked in, so you still needed to find a unit that had the power line plug in the right location.

Now, your complication is that you have a BTX form factor Dell. That means they might have changed it again.

First of all I'm going to assume you have the Mid Tower, not the Desktop, SFF, or USFF version. Assuming you have the midtower, you should be able to look at the mounting holes to see if they line up with normal locations, then look inside to see if there's physically room for the thing, and finally you'll have to check the power connectors to see if they're 20 or 24 pin and 4 or 8 pin to the motherboard.

If you can verify all that, you're good to start choosing.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
gx_mt20_rear_314x314.jpg

Congrats, the holes match up with standard ATX (assuming you're using the mid-tower), and the power connector hole is large enough to support a variety of positions. Now open the thing up and check the depth and the wires, things are looking positive for your replacement.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Thank you all so much for your help,

Yes, I forgot to mention its the "mini-tower" model (which is a mid tower).

I won't be able too "look" in the computer for a few weeks, but i did find some documentation online.

Dell Support - Replacing The Power Supply

This shows a standard 24 pin power connector correct?

I compared the 24 pin power connector wiring with an ATX 2.x specification found Here And they seem to match.

I can also gather from the dell documentation that the dell mobo does not require a -5V supply since it is listed as N/C, does this seem to be a reasonable assumption?

Ok, so from the documentation it looks like a standard 24 pin ATX 2.x power supply will work. Correct? Now I just have to make sure it will fit in the case?

Thank you all so much for your help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes sir, that's as standard as they get! ATX 2.0 dropped the -5V line anyway! And the drawings indicate its a full-depth power supply too.

Man you're lucky...this is the FIRST Dell I've seen that used a standard power supply AND has the power plug hole completely open for a different plug location! You should be able to fit nearly anything into it!

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
To add on to what Crashman is saying I believe PC Power and Cooling actually has dell replacement units.

And here is the link:

http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/dell/

Hope this helps!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey now wait just a second...what is this power connector P4 all about? I've only seen similar on Dell's oddball "new proprietary" power supplies...it's "old proprietary" power supplies used a 6-pin flat connector.

You'd better open that baby up and see if it's connected to the motherboard!

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
To add on to what Crashman is saying I believe PC Power and Cooling actually has dell replacement units.

And here is the link:

http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/dell/

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info on the dell replacement power supplies, I didn't know about this.

I checked out their list of recommended power supplies and the GX620 isn't listed. Maybe this is because as crashman pointed out any standard ATX 2.x power supply will work. Good to know though if I ever decide to work on any other Dell systems in the future.

So I think this is a microBTX case/mobo but most ATX power supplies should work correct?

I just wanted to get a cheap but reasonable quality power supply. Usually I would spend a lot more on a power supply but i don't think that I will be doing any future upgrades. The PC is actually owned by a university which is why I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

I want to upgrade the video card to an evga 7900GS (already bought). I was thinking about this Rosewill power supply. What do you guys think?

Thanks again!

can someone recommend a separate video card only power supply? (i.e. external/second power supply?)

Good idea since the 300w dell unit is not ailing and just needs some assistance.

The Thermaltake W0099RU is a PSU GPU that takes up a 5.25" bay and can be had for a mere $46 w/ free shipping from amazon.com that would give you a combined 550W capacity, tough to beat at that price.

The best part, remove it and your GPU when the time comes to ditch it, may be simpler than removing / reinstalling the original PSU.

wombatz5

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
mate i have a gx620 it runs a palit nividia gforce 8400gs super .512 dual link dvi hdmi pci express card.
dont let anyone piss in your pocket!it runs fine with the standard power supply!you must install it properly or get a shop to do it,or you wont get full effects out of it!!!!thes cards are available in low profile for desktops too. :D Dells are great machines dot fret.

Status
Not open for further replies.