Bah...Intel cures an AMD fanboy...

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Well guys....Intel have finaly won me over. The power of the e6600 has me beat. A firm AMD follower for the last 5 years, i surrender to the power of C2D. Why didn't AMD see this coming. Why...

Well i'm off to choose a good mobo. e6600 for xmas.

lltfdaniel

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Prehaps i got a lower performace per buck, im on a p4 2.6ghz, sorry...likes of dell etc, giveing intel profits, its starting to show their strength there.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Heh, you're only human. Plus you have a better system and spent less money ;)

I do wonder about some people around here though. Emotional attachment to a processor manufacturer can't be a healthy thing :?

Heres my thoughts on the matter. if you're going to pay a premium on a part, one, make sure that there is nothing better. Two, make sure out of that product line, make sure its the best batch.

Okay, but let me temper my previous statement. for sure we don't know if the rd600 will be the best out there, but all indications look to be so.
Hell, this'll stir up trouble one way or the other, but my point is to wait before jumping on the 680i bandwagon, when the competition is not to far over the horizon and looks to be better.

sailer

Splendid
As far as the R600 goes, I think its best to let it come out and then compare its benchmarks with the 8800's benchs. Then a knowldgable choice can be made, rather than a guess and hope for the best.

As far as the RD600 is concerned, I think it should be based on a time element. If a person needs a computer now, with no time to waste, then go with the 680i, but if a short wait can be tolerated, then wait it out patiently and get the best there is.

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I never had regret on my old A64 but my brand new C2D is just better.. and since I got money to afford one then why not

heck if those upcoming K8L would kick core 2's butt and if I had the means.. then no regrets

Being too much of a fan for these companies doesn't make you rich.. it won't make you popular either.. but having the best on the other hand, now thats a different part of the story

sailer

Splendid
The latest i can buy is Jan 31st.....will it be out by then???

I think so, but Dasickninga might answer that question better. I'm figuring Feb or April for my next build, so I've got plenty of time, myself.

No wait, I just ordered a FX60 on the Black Friday Sale from Newegg. Maybe I'll pospose the build for a month longer, then again, maybe not.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Well guys....Intel have finaly won me over. The power of the e6600 has me beat. A firm AMD follower for the last 5 years, i surrender to the power of C2D. Why didn't AMD see this coming. Why...

My opinion is that AMD had planned that Intel would release a better product, but I don't think they were prepared for just how much better --- I think their performance lead, especially in FPU, brought them to a certain level of complacency ...

Nonetheless, AMD was (and is still) hard at work on a performance enhancing core, which falls into the other peice of the puzzle --- CPUs take 5-6 years to design, build, test, perfect and release.... just because AMD does not have anything near term does not mean they will not have something longer term. All they need to do is keep the ship together over the next year or so, they will be fine. It will be rough sailing though through most of 2007.

Jack

Very good point.
I agree that Amd was aware of the upcoming architecture changes from the Intel design engineers.
But it’s almost like they didn’t see it coming.
Amd will be in the hunt and has a good track record for staying in the competition

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Stay away for the 680i. It'll be demolished by the RD600. you can quote me on that.
The only problem here, is the waiting. C2D came out, and it was wait for mobo prices to drop/BIOS updates. Then lots of advice to wait for quad, then wait for DX-10, now wait for more affordable DX-10, now wait for RD600, then wait for 45nm. You have to draw the line on waiting, somewhere. :?

sailer

Splendid
Stay away for the 680i. It'll be demolished by the RD600. you can quote me on that.
The only problem here, is the waiting. C2D came out, and it was wait for mobo prices to drop/BIOS updates. Then lots of advice to wait for quad, then wait for DX-10, now wait for more affordable DX-10, now wait for RD600, then wait for 45nm. You have to draw the line on waiting, somewhere. :?

That's where knowing the timeline, and budget as well, helps out. If the build is in the next week or so, then its easy to advise what is best at the moment. When is a couple months or more away, then things get into speculation and then need to see benchmarks on the future stuff is desired.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

:roll: