Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Case change trouble (updated with pics)

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2006 4:04:03 PM

Hi all,

I changed my pc case and it seems I am having some trouble putting it all together again. Essentially my setup is the same, I just dumped a floppy and an old cd reader from the old setup. I took my mobo, cpu, ram, cd-rw, and graphics card and tried to put it all inside a new case. But oh surprise, it doesnt work. 8) :roll:

As I turn the power on I am sent to the BIOS. I can navigate through it, but as soon as I press ENTER, power goes off.

Considering my setup is essentially the same as before, what do you think can be the cause for this?

Thanks in advance :D 
November 25, 2006 4:46:03 PM

Well it IS possible you don't have something hooked up right, or that you fried something with static. It IS winter time. :-( (more static in winter due to lower humidity) Check your hard disk drive cables. Make sure they're secure and that you have enough power being supplied to it. Do you have just one hard drive? Try a different connector on another cable. You could also check to make sure it's set to primary and not cable select. If it was a Dell computer or something, and you had your DVD drive sharing a ribbon cable, then it's possible it's unable to read it. Check all power cords to everything, make sure they're all secure. Check any power switch and reset pins too.
November 25, 2006 5:41:55 PM

Believe it or not, the floppy can matter. On my last computer, the BIOS lists a floppy field and when set to 1.44MB or whatever, the comp must find one to boot. I had to set it to none to be able to boot.

Jo
Related resources
November 25, 2006 9:51:33 PM

Thank you for replying guys.

Actually no matter if I have the hard disk or the cd or whatever even plugged, I think its just a motherboard issue. No matter what when I press ENTER in the BIOS my pc dies. I guess it can be something wrong with power sw or any pins I plugged.

I also noticed if I unplug the CPU fan from the mobo pins the pc dies straight after booting and getting in the bios, whereas if it's plugged I have to do the ENTER thing for it to die. I have another fan pin in the mobo that I used to use in the old configuration and that now is empty. Could it be that the reason the mobo thinks it must stop to prevent overheat or something?
November 26, 2006 12:23:15 AM

Heh, that's exactly the reason. Never turn on your computer if your CPU heatsink fan isn't working. It sounds like maybe your RAM isn't installed correctly, or your hard drive isn't. But it could be damage to the mobo as well. Since you sound pretty new, I recommend taking it to a computer shop if it's a fairly new computer. You didn't take your heatsink off did you?

At any rate, read this. http://www.pcguide.com/site/warn_ESD.htm
November 26, 2006 8:20:40 AM

No I didn't, its just that the new case doesnt have a fan to connect to the mobo, all go straight to the power supply.

RAM and hard disk should be fine. So you think its because theres no second fan plugged on the mobo the thing just stops?

Also, I assumed the + - pins were power led, is that right?
November 26, 2006 8:30:25 AM

Just a quick question..

What mobo do you have?? And which fan connector on the mobo are you plugging the CPU Fan into??? If the mobo is not tracking the cpu fan correctly it may just sure off to be safe...
November 26, 2006 9:49:29 AM

Asus A7V8X, and I am plugging it on the CPU Fan labeled pins next to the cpu.

OK, I have uploaded a couple of pics of how I plugged the thing, is that right?

note: the empty chassis fan you see is the one is was talking about.

November 26, 2006 12:48:16 PM

Which way are the letters facing when you actually hook them up :)  up or down.......
November 26, 2006 2:31:56 PM

Think I've tried both, but initially I put them facing down... which way they must face :D ?
November 26, 2006 4:36:19 PM

Leave the reset switch OFF the pins for now. Just hook up the Pwr Sw. If the system doesn't boot, try turning it around. If you get to bios though when you press the case's power button then it's got nothing to do with these pins. If the system STILL shuts off after bios post, then your problem lies elsewhere. Make sure the CPU heatsink fan connector is attached to the pins labeled CPU. No other fan pins should matter. Also, make sure your video card has enough power if you have one. Usually these cards take their own cable, most good new power supplies have a cable specifically coded for the graphics card. If yours doesn't, try hooking up a cable just to the video card. If you're using a modular PSU that doesn't have a GPU specific cable, connect a cable to the PSU in the corner, and dont' attach any cables to the sides of it.

Like this.

GX
XX
OO
OO

The X's represent empty slots on your modular PSU.
The G represents the one you have connected to only the graphics card.
The O's are connected to other system components.

This should hopefully help to dedicate a rail to JUST the GPU, however I don't know how your PSU is set up specifically. You may need to try...

GO
XO
XO
XO

You may have more or less modular connections on your PSU as well.

I don't think anyone asked what PSU you have...did they? You might need to run out and gitcherself a more powerful one. If you aren't sure what PSU you have, STOP trying asap. It sounds as though your PSU isn't providing the power you need to enable more devices than just your system board.
November 26, 2006 5:32:19 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply Ryan.

I tried to just plug Power SW and the system boots, and gets me to the BIOS, same problem.

About the PSU, it would be wierd it is that the problem, as it is the same one I've been using with this same setup for a couple of years.
November 26, 2006 5:38:12 PM

PSU's go bad. =P No clue what could be causing this except there's a good chance something isn't connected right, or you damaged something with static as you moved it.
December 1, 2006 1:11:17 AM

Hi ohello,

Hopefully you've resolved this issue at this stage but if not here are a few things to check. Most of them are very obvious...but its not clear to me whether you have performed all the operations or not.

1. Since this is essentially a migration of your mobo and components to a new chassis and NOT a new build..the very fact that your automatically entering bios setup rather than windows suggests to me that there may be a simple problem with your boot sequence. Even so...i'm surprised your not getting a failed boot up message. Have you disabled the floppy drive in the boot sequence? are there any unusual beep sequences when you power on?

2. Also check that your hard disk is being automatically detected. There should be no difference as its your old drive...but check to make sure and if they're not enter the fields manually.

3. If all of this checks out ok, consider also disabling the q-fan control feature that comes with this mobo. There's a slim possibility that your old setup is looking for that fan that is no longer there and shutting down when it's not finding it. (by the way Ryan is right NEVER power up a PC when the CPU heatsink is removed, modern processors can overheat within 10 seconds).

4. If all this seems fine, then do consider the possibility that your PSU, while not necessarily damaged, may be insufficient to power your new chassis fans. They may be bigger, require more power or simply be more of them than in your previous setup.

You've probably considered most of these, but they're here just in case.

All the best
!