router control...disabled by isp?

ToastyToast

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I have a netopia 3387w router. Anyway, ive been trying EVERYTHING trying to get to the configuration page for it. For some reason it just wont come up (192.168.1.1/192.168.1.254) So now Im sort of wondering if its a piece of crap router or if my isp has something to do with it. I ordered a new router which will be here in a few days.

Im wondering if somehow my ISP could have disabled router configuration on the modem or something. Do I need the modem connected to the router to configure it? Even though I cant acess the config page now, I can still be on internet ect.

Thanks

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I checked the netopia web site for the manual...

It looks like you need to use telnet to do the configuration, instead of the usual web based configuration found in other brands.

I just skimmed the documentation, but it looks like your ISP may be able to disable the adminstration capabilties...

ToastyToast

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Im getting a new one so I dont care much for the netopia...but could my ISP have disabled router config on the modem so I cant configure any router? Do you have to be connected to the modem to configure your routers?

ToastyToast

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Well if you mean the routers settings I dont know. But, I have the dsl modem going to the router. Then I have 2 computers connected by ethernet cord (this is one of them) and I use to have a laptop set up on wireless.

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
On your computer that is connected to your netgear router, at the command line:

netstat -r

make note of the route that is:

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

x.x.x.x is the ip address of your router, this is the address you want to attach to on your netgear....

y.y.y.y is the ip address of the NIC interface on your computer.

http://x.x.x.x should bring up the webpage on your netgear