ATI X1900 graphi with Asus P5B Motherboard crashed Windows!

tonyatn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
My new installation of the ATI X1900 graphic card with Asus P5Bdeluxe Motherboard showed true incompatibility and crashed windowsXPpro!
I realize that I may have to update the Intel chipset, but Please! This thing scares me...I had to install Windows twice and now I'm using a cheap graphic card just to use the system before I tackle the problem.
Please, someone direct me to the Website(s) needed to update and make these two components compatible... :x

tonyatn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Power Supply:
Antec TruePower2.0 550 watt eps12v
MotherBoard:
P5B Deluxe WiFi, Intel P965 Express Chipset
Processor:
Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 4MB L2 Cache
Memory:
Kingston KVR533D2N4K2/1G
Graphic Card:
All-in-Wonder X1900 PCIE
(Presently I'm using the Nividia GeForce6200LE graphic card to avoid a crash)
Hard Drive:
WD 150GB Raptor
DVD:
Sony DRU-820A
No Floppy; I may have to get one to install updates.
I will get around to figuring this out and downloading updates. However, please direct me if you can, to a specific download. I.e., Do I update the Intel Chipset? Or the Asus Mobo? Both? Update via Floppy disc? Do I put all the updates on the computer THEN install the new Graphics card?
I will probably get around to it until next week and I won't be at my computer in the next 24hours. But do post as many options/answers if you want!
THANKS!
Tony

specba

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I have the same configuration - and the same problem. I've found that if you don't install Media Center it works. I tried installing the latest drivers - both from Asus and Intel. Neither helped.

If you find a fix let me know. ATI said that they think my board is defective. They want me to return it to my vendor. I think the issue is software, but what choice do I have?

Let me know if you find a solution. I will do the same.

specba

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Been there done that. Re-installed windows, Reinstalled Netware, Reinstalled ATI'S software. Tried earlier version of ATI's software and drivers, Flashed the MOBO Bios, Tried ASUS's drivers for the chip set off their web site. Tried Intel's drivers dated 11-21-06. Spent like 2 nights on this. I don't think I've missed much other than ATI's hardware. That is my next step. On black Friday I spent like 4 hours with ATI's tech support. They said they think it's their board. If this problem is wide-spread I would guess software issues. Of course anyone could get a bad batch of chips. I hate sending stuff back, but I'll give it a try if no one can come up with something I haven't tried yet.

After this I'll switch to another manufaturer's video card. I can always go USB for capture and the tuner.

I have an older AGP all-in-wonder. It worked great. Too bad there seems to be a problem here.

darkace

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
have you tried install the chipset drivers that came with the motherboard? I had some problems with the sapphire x1900xt drivers screwing with my windows xp but it works great now after installing the intel chipset drivers.