NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
This is what I have after countless reconfigurations, what do you guys think? the gpu is temporary untill the prices go down on 8800's etc.

it will mainly be used for gaming and will be doing some moderate OCing

E6600 Conroe
eVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i
CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 4GB
eVGA 7900GS <~~~ temp card
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
ZALMAN 9700
OCZ GameXStream 700W
COOLER MASTER Centurion 534

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Moderate overclocking?

There's no need for after-market cooler. Stock coolers are sufficient for moderate cooling, and it's quiet too ...

Dominators are over-rated ... I've just tested them out less than a week ago, I helped a buddy build a system, and it's wall at CL5 rating was actually lower than the wall of my Corsair XMS2 Twin2X 675MHz CL4 model at CL5 rating ...

Besides that, you can get the normal 800MHz CL4 for way less than that price of Dominator ... you're paying extra for the name of "Dominator" and the "coolness" of the heatsink ... which is a total hype ...

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Moderate OCing , by that i mean im not going to push it to the max

and the Ram i saw it combined with the board so i thought it would support this kind.........ive read alot of reviews about this board being picky as its still kinda new and bugs need worked out.

as far as cooling purposes, I read c2d needed more than stock but , this is my first intel ever, so im kind of at a loss here.......but by all means if you or anybody else can point me in the direction of equal specs for cheaper that would be great.......im all about trying to save some moolaah :D

but what about the rest of the build?

im trying to wait out DFI's new board but just like last month turned into this month and this month is turning into next and who knows if it will surface then?

thanks

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
4gb of ram is kind of overkill. i game heavily and use 2gb of memory. as for the power supply, i wouldnt go with ocz. for that comp, i would use a corsair cmpsu-620hx ( link ) or an antec power trio ( link ). casewise, dont forget to get something with good airflow, and and that's about it. also make sure the case has enough room to fit an 8800.

by the way, those recommended power supplies are in case you want to use the 8800gts. if you want the gtx, then go to nvidia.com and see what power supplies they recommend for it from the nvidia marketplace.

hope this helps a little

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I agree with WIZ83. Additionally, the funds saved from those recommendations, will allow you to further improve the configuration by using a pair of Seagate 320's in RAID0. Boot times will be cut nearly in half, programs and especially bloatware will snap open, defrag and virus scans will run quickly, and any HD intensive processes will take much less time to complete, which will give you a huge boost in overall performance, and significantly reduce hourglass time.

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I was just about to buy an 8800gts yesterday, but figured I would wait till Jan or Feb maybe the prices would go down and I could afford to SLi x2 them , but for the games that I play mostly FPS; I think i could get by with 7900 series till then as I was on an x800xt PE and was doing fine with it... as i liquified my pc and so i have to rebuild now.

However for that PSU I chose that one for when the time comes for a step up in GPU I would be ready

and the case yes I do not think 8800 would fit either....... was trying to lower the budget alil seeing as full tower and decent cooling cases run $100ish as of ive seen yet

as far as Ram goes...... scratch the dom lol good up guys thanks

DDR2 1000 is looking really appealing right now and cheaper too

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I agree with WIZ83. Additionally, the funds saved from those recommendations, will allow you to further improve the configuration by using a pair of Seagate 320's in RAID0. Boot times will be cut nearly in half, programs and especially bloatware will snap open, defrag and virus scans will run quickly, and any HD intensive processes will take much less time to complete, which will give you a huge boost in overall performance, and significantly reduce hourglass time.

Any thoughts on going with RAID0?

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
well thing is , that if I go with 320gb HDD would I ever use all of it?
to tell you the truth I never really understood Raid, I had it on my old PC but never used it because I only had 1 HDD an 80gb Maxtor... are there any plusses to having RAID if i never fill up 1 HDD? or will it cut that load in half and save time?

I always thought it was just to switch back in for HDD's incase you had something on one you need then could switch back to the other

but just accured to me that maybe you could have your game files on one, and other docs on the other so it would cut load times in half for gaming etc.......i think that maybe what your trying to tell me?

sorry im a total RAID noob lol :oops:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Hard drives are by far, the slowest subsystem in a computer. The CPU and memory must wait for the hard drive to complete it's read/write tasks, before any further instruction can be processed, so it's a huge bottleneck. Anything that we can do to speed up the storage subsystem, will speed up the entire computer, and make it much more responsive, as noted in my previous posts. Here's a quick lesson. There are several different types of RAID configurations. The most midely used are:

RAID0 "Striped" = Fast & Large = 320 x 2 = 640

RAID1 "Mirrored" = Redundant = 320 / 320 = 320

RAID0 creates a "striped set" where software is evenly distributed in thin stripes accross both drives, so the HD speed and capacity are effectively doubled. Since RAID0 accesses both HD's simultaneously, the primary advantages are raw speed, and greatly enhanced overall system performance. For an additional $89.99, you can have a much faster storage subsystem, so it's well worth the investment.

RAID1 creeates a "mirrored set" where software on one drive is copied on the fly to the other drive, so that an exact duplicate is constantly maintained. The speed and size of the set is limited to that of a single drive. This configuration is used to assure that if a drive crashes, then no data is lost. The faulty drive can be replaced, and then restored from the mirrored drive, thereby retaining redundancy, and peace of mind.

Obviously you intend to do some gaming, so it would be a shame to build such a nice rig, without also creating a faster and more balanced performance architecture. I hope this helps you to understand the differences, as well as the advantages.

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
yes, most definatly makes me realize what ive been missing...... who knew i would learn something lol Thanks.........

so yes gotta do the RAID0 now.........

im telling you picking out parts is like picking out movies in a video store, the next title always seems better..... frustraiting at times

anyways back to the drawing board

thanks

mars_THoC

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
WOW, Im looking at almost the same system.

I'd like some help/feed back too........

Here's where Im at right now. Its my frist build and want to make sure I have thought of everything I need to build it upon arrival.
Thanks!

COOLER MASTER Ammo 533 RC-533-SWN1 Black/Silver Aluminum+Plastic front bezel; SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$74.99 -$10.00 Instant
$64.99

2x AeroCool TURBINE 1000 120mm Case Fan - Retail
$12.99 $25.98

COOLER MASTER RS-600-ASAA ATX Form Factor 12V V2.2 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.91 600 Watts Continuous Power Supply - Retail
$119.99 $119.99

eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$259.99 -$20.00 Instant
$239.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail
$218.50 $218.50

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
$62.99 $62.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail
$40.00 Mail-in Rebate
$300.00 $300.00

MSI NX8800GTS-T2D640E GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$469.99 -$15.00 Instant
$454.99

2x Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$43.99 $87.98

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-4570A BK - OEM
$28.99 $28.99

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/SP2B - OEM
$109.99 $109.99

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$5.99 $5.99

TOTAL = $1,724.37

Thoughts, did I get it all?

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
seeing that you are going with 8800gts, just like in this thread as do most others would recommend upping to a 700W PSU here is one same one in my build and with the MIR actually comes out cheaper than the one you put down

Case wise, i don't think mine would fit an 8800 series card, as they are really bulky......yours might as it is 1" x 3 Dimensions....still could be a tight fit though.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
While you're focused on getting your hardware order completed, here's some additional information for you to consider after you finish the build. This may serve to give you more insight when you're configuring your storage subsystem and loading software.

At the extreme end of the hard drive spectrum, hard core enthusiasts will spare no expense, opting for three or even four SCSI 15k RPM drives in RAID0 on a high end cached PCI controller card. If you've ever witnessed the astonishing performance such a configuration provides to enhance the overall speed and responsiveness of fast, high end computer systems, it's a jaw dropping experience that'll make you a believer in solutions for the hard drive bottleneck issue. However, this is extremely expensive, and for the vast majority of us, cost prohibitive.

I chose the somewhat more affordable solution of twin SATA 10k Raptor 150's and configured them on Intel RAID0, based strictly upon achieving as much raw speed as possible for the investment. Partition Magic 8 was used to create two partitions within the total 300Gb available on the RAID0 striped set. A 60Gb C:\ "system" partition has the OS and is all inclusive, with SW installations, as well as data and archives. Many IT professionals will immediately balk at this configuration until the complete architecture is revealed, so let's examine it further.

Since Windows "Restore" is inherantly unreliable, the 240Gb D:\ "storage" partition provides space for DVD's, and has a "backup" folder created by Norton Ghost 03 containing images of the C:\ partition. However, images can be corrupted by "internet schmegma" (virus), hardware failure (drive crash), and you can't boot up your system to an image. Therefore, the Seagate 60Gb "backup" drive exists for only one purpose; Norton Ghost 03 is used on this drive via a boot disk, to "clone" the RAID0 C:\ partition.

The only three situations when I enable the drive controller in BIOS are; performing a clone, retrieving files mistakenly deleted, or restoring the C:\ partition due to corruption, such as the inevitable SW install from hell. In the event of SW problems, the backup drive can be booted instead of the RAID0 set, which will allow you to continue working. Cloning is the fastest possible method of creating discrete backups, and unlike RAID1 mirroring, the backup drive is not operating concurrently in Windows with the RAID0 set, so it remains diabled, as secure as a tape on the shelf, imune to corruption, and therefore, 100% reliable.

I also have a USB enclosure with still another 60Gb removable "clone" drive. This may appear to be overkill, but I've seen all the worst possible HW and SW scenarios played out, and they're far too time consuming to consider reinventing the wheel on the fly, when there are fast, efficient, and inexpensive solutions available to extricate oneself from the binary turd bucket. There's only one catch; the human factor. You must be diligent about running clones and images at appropriate intervals. Speaking for myself, I consider my data far too precious to jepardize, so it demands a grounded attitude to keep it secure.

My recommendations for your system are as follows:

(1) Get Partition Magic and Ghost. They're invaluable tools.

(2) Configure the 320's on the SATA controller as RAID0.

(3) Configure the new striped set with "system" and "backup" and "storage" partitions of perhaps 60Gb and 60Gb and 520Gb. The partitions can later be resized if necessary.

(4) Whenever it becomes affordable, add a third inexpensive dedicated "backup" drive of an appropriate size, to the motherboard's second SATA controller, thereby allowing that controller to normally remain disabled in BIOS, which will keep your clone secure.

Note: Prior to running each clone, "label" your C:\ partition with the present date, such as 25 Nov 06 so that the date of your clone is displayed in My Computer. Labeling with the date is a simple method to mange your clones, so you're sure to know when they were performed.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck, and enjoy!

mars_THoC

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I was trying to stay away fron the raptor riad because of the cost (ugh). I was thinking 2x 80g 7200's (os and games) and a 250+ gig @7200 for data and back-up.
This machine is being built just for gaming. I have a couple others for work and storage.

Im hoping this would fit a mid tower, I really dont want a full if its not truely needed.
Im flexable on PSU, I figured a 600w would be enough for now since Id be a year out on a sli set-up.

So questions left in my head are......
Would this fit in a Ammo case?
Do I really need more then 600watts?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Anything in RAID0 is a huge improvement over any matching single drive, so your twin 80's will do just fine.

Yes, everything should fit in your case OK.

Yes, you really do need the 600W PSU. If you plan to upgrade to SLI at a later date, you may instead prefer to consider a 750W PSU.

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
alright thanks CompuTronix for that detailed rendition of RAID, made me realize alot im definatly saving that for future reference :D

and thanks everyone else for the advice, I can't tell you how many times Ive reconfigured this thing throughout this post....

much appreciated ......

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I will say this. If you plan on heading the Vista route along with your rig.
Grab your 4GB of RAM now. DDR2 prices are steadily rising. So you can get 2GB now, but I bet its gonna be a helluva more for 2 addition GB down the road.