advice on webcam to automatically ftp pictures to server

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
June 16, 2004 4:40:34 PM

HI,

I'm really new to webcams and I'm looking for some advice.

Here's my set up. I have a cable modem at home that goes into a
wireless linksys hub. I have a computer connected to the hub via
ethernet, but it is old and dodgy and can't be left on when I'm not
home. Long story, trust me on this.

I want to set up a web cam to watch the house while I'm at work. What
I want is a web cam that can automatically upload the pictures to any
server.

Because the web cam is behind the wireless hub, it's on the local
192.x.x.x network and essentially unreachable from the net. So the
software on the camera needs to communicate to the server and upload
the pictures. While I'd like it to be capable of doing 20-30 fps, I'd
want to slow it down so that it's only 1 picture every 30 or 60
seconds or so.

I'd like a minimum resolution of 640x480 for the picture. 800x600
would be even better.

Is this just a pipe dream?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:45:02 AM

always depends on various needs , price comes to mind first,,.
the next one main thing would be light levels of the area.
low light can be costly in a stand alone network cam for a home.

Intellinet cam will do what you ask well with decent lighting
Periodically every (1~3600) seconds from (0~24 hrs) to (0~24 hrs)
send captured image to FTP server ...
FTP server(max 30 characters) :
User ID(max 15 characters) :
Password(max 15 characters) :
Directory(max 15 characters) :

dlink dcs1000
has about the same settings but needs a tad more light and trendnet &
hawkings market the same cam as dlink.

if already behind a router with local ip ? and if you can access and
configure vServer/Ports you'll be able to access network cams from any
internet connection. They're all mainly just mini dedicated web servers
that just happen to have a lens screwed on them. If you can live without
ftp moments saved you can view most of them live easy enough.

"JS" <jd142@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HI,
>
> I'm really new to webcams and I'm looking for some advice.
>
> Here's my set up. I have a cable modem at home that goes into a
> wireless linksys hub. I have a computer connected to the hub via
> ethernet, but it is old and dodgy and can't be left on when I'm not
> home. Long story, trust me on this.
>
> I want to set up a web cam to watch the house while I'm at work. What
> I want is a web cam that can automatically upload the pictures to any
> server.
>
> Because the web cam is behind the wireless hub, it's on the local
> 192.x.x.x network and essentially unreachable from the net. So the
> software on the camera needs to communicate to the server and upload
> the pictures. While I'd like it to be capable of doing 20-30 fps, I'd
> want to slow it down so that it's only 1 picture every 30 or 60
> seconds or so.
>
> I'd like a minimum resolution of 640x480 for the picture. 800x600
> would be even better.
>
> Is this just a pipe dream?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:26:15 AM

On 16 Jun 2004 12:40:34 -0700, jd142@hotmail.com (JS) wrote:

>HI,
>
>I'm really new to webcams and I'm looking for some advice.
>
>Here's my set up. I have a cable modem at home that goes into a
>wireless linksys hub. I have a computer connected to the hub via
>ethernet, but it is old and dodgy and can't be left on when I'm not
>home. Long story, trust me on this.
>
>I want to set up a web cam to watch the house while I'm at work. What
>I want is a web cam that can automatically upload the pictures to any
>server.
>
>Because the web cam is behind the wireless hub, it's on the local
>192.x.x.x network and essentially unreachable from the net. So the
>software on the camera needs to communicate to the server and upload
>the pictures. While I'd like it to be capable of doing 20-30 fps, I'd
>want to slow it down so that it's only 1 picture every 30 or 60
>seconds or so.
>
>I'd like a minimum resolution of 640x480 for the picture. 800x600
>would be even better.
>
>Is this just a pipe dream?

You can run webcams from behind your router (I've got 6) and
access them from the net. You need to set the router to foward
incomming traffic for the webcams to the IP address and port of
the computer running the webcam software. The limit on most home
cable systems uploading is about 250kbs. This means you may get 3
or 4 fps on a 320x240 jpeg image. FTP is inefficient, as it uses
band width even when nobody is watching. You may want to start
with the free Webcam2000 application at the below link. You can
get the video from the application when you want on an individual
basis, or you can set up an image pull page like the bottom link
to have streaming setup. Your image size will be limited by what
your webcam can provide.

http://www.webcam2000.info
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc2000.htm
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:17:20 PM

"JS" <jd142@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HI,
>
> I'm really new to webcams and I'm looking for some advice.
>
> Here's my set up. I have a cable modem at home that goes into a
> wireless linksys hub. I have a computer connected to the hub via
> ethernet, but it is old and dodgy and can't be left on when I'm not
> home. Long story, trust me on this.
>
> I want to set up a web cam to watch the house while I'm at work.
What
> I want is a web cam that can automatically upload the pictures to
any
> server.
>
> Because the web cam is behind the wireless hub, it's on the local
> 192.x.x.x network and essentially unreachable from the net. So the
> software on the camera needs to communicate to the server and upload
> the pictures. While I'd like it to be capable of doing 20-30 fps,
I'd
> want to slow it down so that it's only 1 picture every 30 or 60
> seconds or so.
>
> I'd like a minimum resolution of 640x480 for the picture. 800x600
> would be even better.
>
> Is this just a pipe dream?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Just ordered the TLC 8000 Ip Cam myself. The price was right for an
entry level test.
http://www.tlcstream.com/. I will evaluate it's performance and if it
works good enough for me, I will be purchasing others very probably.

if your area is illuminated enough, it should work fine. If you wait a
bit I should have it up and running by next week and you can see for
yourself. I believe it has security software that comes with it. I'm
using it for full time streaming to my website if all goes right.
!