mouse freeze

I am running xp home, sp1 and occasionaly my mouse freezes on startup. I
think it may be happening if the mouse is moved before the desktop items
load up. I have a ps/2 type mouse. Does anyone know a fix for this please.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:09:32 -0000, zeldaber wrote:

> I am running xp home, sp1 and occasionaly my mouse freezes on startup. I
> think it may be happening if the mouse is moved before the desktop items
> load up. I have a ps/2 type mouse. Does anyone know a fix for this please.

Rarely see this on my desktop but it happens occasionally on my tablet PC.
I usually start the system, grab a second cup of coffee and by the time I
get back, I can get to work. I guess I could mess around with updating
mouse and display drivers or trim the startup group a bit. However
everything works fine once all is loaded so I just leave it alone.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

YEAH: Dont move the mouse

"zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
> I am running xp home, sp1 and occasionaly my mouse freezes on startup. I
> think it may be happening if the mouse is moved before the desktop items
> load up. I have a ps/2 type mouse. Does anyone know a fix for this please.

LOL LOL> sorry but the other replies are quite laughable. Their suggestion is
just to ignore an issue and hope it goes away on it's own. The better advice
is to go to the manufacturers site of your mouse and download\install the
latest drivers for it. When you post a problem about software\hardware it is
always best to include the name of the product including the make and model.
That way we can tell you of any known issues or give you direct links to the
latest drivers, and save you some time. Everest Home Edition from Lavalys is
an excellent and free program that will aid you in identifying all of your
components and even gives links to the drivers or the manufacturers. Lockups
can be contributed to faulty or outdated drivers over %90 of the time. TTFN.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:57:01 -0800, The Unknown P wrote:

> LOL LOL> sorry but the other replies are quite laughable.

I guess it was. The tablet only has two mouse drivers. The driver included
in Tablet Edition doesn't give a broad spectrum of pressure for sketching
(a major use for this machine). The Wacom driver does but tends to be a bit
flakey. So, for me, a little hangup at boot time is acceptable in exchange
for the added levels of pressure sensitivity.

Oh well... I should have spent more time on that answer but at least I
mentioned drivers ;^)
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

My mouse problem began with erratic movement and occasionally it would freeze
resulting in having to reboot. The freeze began occuring at shorter times
after booting up until it finally froze as soon as the desktop opened.
After several appeals to this and other newsgroups I followed all the
suggestions with no help.
Searched for new drivers and found out that I had the latest.
I went to MS Knowledge Base, saw my problem described exactly. Printed off 3
pages of items to delete from the registry, none of which were included in my
registry.

I told a nerd friend my problem and his immediate response was, "Are you using
a Microsoft PS/2?"
I said I was. His immediate response was, "Get a new mouse." That was the
best advice I had from anyone. Got an optical mouse for under $20, installed
it and all my problems are over. This was after a week of fooling around with
searches for answers and useless advice.

Get a new mouse. A real cheap fix.
--
To view some of my art work
http://community.webshots.com/user/rbarone1997

Ray
While she is out, a real man will kick his wife's cat.