Sign in with
Your question

UNKnown "system reserved" partition/ Hard drive?

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Partition
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 16, 2011 2:51:03 PM

i have been trying to install a RAID array on my system, and due to some complications ended up having to reinstall windoiws from the master CD, now i noticve it has created a drive called "system reserved" - the volume is only 99.8 MB - when i open the drive it contains nothing at all? what is it / how do i get rid of it? thx John

More about : unknown system reserved partition hard drive

a c 426 $ Windows 7
June 16, 2011 3:01:03 PM

It s normal!

The 100MB system/boot partition will be available for Ultimate, Business and Enterprise editions. Also, in addition to being used for BitLocker encryption, it holds the Recovery environment (WinRE) and boot files.
June 16, 2011 3:16:38 PM

i only ask b/c i have had this version of windows installed 3 or 4 times on this machine (hard drive troubles! ) and it has never created this partition previously which is why i was curious to what it was / what it is used for.
Related resources
a c 426 $ Windows 7
June 16, 2011 3:25:06 PM

I have windows 7 pro and it is on both of mine,it's normal!
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2011 4:06:26 PM

On a new install, just delete it when you come to the section where you choose drives, if W7 needs it, it will recreate a new version.
September 20, 2011 8:03:16 AM

johnwm said:
i have been trying to install a RAID array on my system, and due to some complications ended up having to reinstall windoiws from the master CD, now i noticve it has created a drive called "system reserved" - the volume is only 99.8 MB - when i open the drive it contains nothing at all? what is it / how do i get rid of it? thx John

Hi, the 100MB partition called "system reserved" is a boot file for windows 7, if you delte or format it, you will not boot up your windows 7, just leave it.
!