Sign in with
Your question

WTF? CPU-Z readings are weird...

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
Last response: in CPUs
November 25, 2006 11:52:41 PM

I loaded up CPU-Z to look up my RAM timings and noticed several things that were weird.

1. My CPU Core Speed is listed as 1000MHz. It should be 2000MHz. The same goes for HT link (although I dont know what it's speed should be). My bus speed is 200Mhz and the multiplier is 5x. I dont know if my bus speed should be double or my multiplier.

2. I have 1GB (single stick) Centon DDR2 533 RAM. I know that there are problems with memory speeds with Athlon64 processors. My RAM speed is listed as 200MHz, which I assume translates to 400MHz because its DDR. The FSB:D RAM ratio is CPU/5. This makes sense if my CPU really is running at 1000MHz; otherwise the ratio would be CPU/10.

3. The RAM timings are 4-4-4-12. However, if the RAM is running at 200MHz, the timings should be 3-3-3-9. Also, there are two different timings listed for 266MHz: 4-4-4-12 and 5-4-4-12.

Does anyone know why the speeds are halved? I'm running this on Vista RC2 x86, so I don't know if that's causing the problem.

Any help as to how to fix this problem (if it is a problem) would be appreciated. My specs:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (AM2)
ECS C51GM-M nForce410 motherboard (yea, it sucks)
Builtin GeForce6100 graphics w/ 128MB shared RAM (gonna upgrade soon)
1GB Centon DDR2 533 RAM (896 available)
160GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA2 HD

Sorry for the long post.

More about : wtf cpu readings weird

November 26, 2006 12:30:45 AM

Im assuming you have gone into the bios and checked these settings. cpu z seems to list speeds in real speed not ddr speed. Course that doesnt say why your cpu speed is so off. Make sure its set correctly in the bios.
November 26, 2006 12:37:22 AM

One thing I can add is that your HT link is actually normal . The HyperTransport bus actually runs at 1000MHz; it's often marketed as running at 2000MHz because the bus is bi-directional (It can transmit data up and down the bus at the same time).

As for your CPU speed, I would check to see if Cool n' Quiet, or whatever it's called, is on. Also, your RAM timings may need to be manually set in the BIOS.
Related resources
November 26, 2006 12:51:06 AM

I've checked the BIOS. The multiplier is set to 10x (bus speed=200MHz), and the RAM speed is set to 533 (although the maximum it can actually run is at 500). I don't know if Cool 'n' Quiet is a builtin CPU function; I haven't installed it or anything.

I ran prime95 and everything suddenly jumped up to normal. CPU clock 2000MHz, multiplier 10x, RAM speed 250MHz and FSB:D RAM at CPU/8 (4-4-4-12 timings on RAM). All this is perfectly normal. As soon as I turned prime95 off, everything returned to their original values.

After experimenting with prime95 some more, I found that the multiplier would take on values of either 5, 9(rare), or 10. The corresponding FSB:D RAM ratios were CPU/5, CPU/7, and CPU/8.

I suppose I can say that the system runs at full potential under load, but I don't know if that's how it should be.
November 26, 2006 1:01:26 AM

Cool n' Quiet is a technology built into modern AMD CPUs that lowers the clock and voltage when they are under light or no load to conserve power and reduce heat. It deactivates and returns settings to normal when the system comes under a heavy load - which is what happened when you started Prime95.

Check the BIOS to see if there's an option to turn off Cool 'n Quiet. If there isn't, I think it can be deactivated in Windows by going to Power Options in the Control Panel and selecting 'Always On' as the power scheme (I'm not 100% sure about that). Though, you don't have to deactivate it if you don't want to.
November 26, 2006 1:22:09 AM

Forgot about the cool and quite feture. If this is the case everything in cpu is correct and your computer is running normaly but like i said cpuz will not show ddr frequencys they arent true speeds it only shows true speeds.
!