lohocla

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
hello I have a homebuilt.. have two drives on sata. one of them holds a windows partition.. I hav just come across a 200 gig seagate which i put on the ide a HP9401 dvd writer is on the first IDE chain the new 200 gig on the second.. I currently have the dvd writer set as master and the new hdd as slave.. i also tried some other configs and it still wont show up in windows or the BIOS

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
What do you mean "on the second IDE chain"?

If each device is on a separate IDE cable, both of them should be jumpered as master.

Run the Seagate diagnostics (download from their website) to see if it sees the drive and finds any problems if this answer doesn't fix the problem.

lohocla

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
my bad, on same cable. dvdr on firstt hdd is on second connector.. the dvdr is set to master and the hddd is slave, is that correct? if not, what would be the proper jumper config?

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
That config is suppost to work, but since it doesn't, I'd try either putting each on separate cables (if you have two IDE channels on your board) or swapping cable positions so the HDD is on the end of the cable as master and the optical in middle as slave- but many cases make this a problem because the cable isn't long enough.

Also try cable select on both.