Would you ever deal with cyberpower?

Total: 277 votes (151 blank votes)

• Yes, I trust them.
  • 14 %
  • Yes, I love suffering.
  • 3 %
  • Yes, I might take the gamble.
  • 23 %
  • No, I prefer homebuilding, even if it costs a bit more.
  • 30 %
  • No, I''d rather avoid the potential headaches.
  • 25 %
  • No, I don''t have any money, anyway.
  • 8 %
November 26, 2006 1:23:59 AM

I'd promised in an earlier thread to come back and tell the story of my experience with Cyberpowerpc.com, and so here I am.

I'd read all the bad reviews before ordering, but when shipping was factored in I was paying cyberpower less for my new computer than I would have payed to build it myself with parts from online retailers. So, I hoped that either my computer would arrive in decent enough shape that I could get it going, or that I could bully them into giving my money back with a nice letter full of flowery legalese.

So, here's what I got:

NZXT Zero Aluminum case
EVGA 680i Motherboard
E6600 Conroe processor (Stock cooling solution)
8800GTX video card
74 gig Raptor
250 gig storage drive
2 DVD burners
Audigy 4 soundcard

That's everything of consequence. Anyway, I don't get rush assembly, they send it out six days after I ordered. (promised 5 to 10, so no complaints, there) A few days later, refrigerator box (slight exaggeration) arrives with my computer inside. Here's what was in the box:
* my assembled computer,
* a random box for a watercooler containing (very poorly packed):
---- a book for my motherboard booklet (very glad to have it, but from what I understand from reviews, you cannot count on receiving this)
---- several mounting brackets for my case
---- SLI bridge for my motherboard
---- the driver discs for my motherboard, soundcard, and video card
---- my Windows XP Pro install disc, out of the sleeve and getting scratched to hell by loose mounting brackets
---- a Vista voucher redemption form, which I can't seem to get working on the website (will have to try calling)
---- an S-video-to-component adapter for my video card
---- two DVI-to-VGA adapters for my video card

So, not quite everything I might have wanted (no book/instructions for my case), but there was some stuff. Anyway, I put the box aside and pulled out my computer.

I open up the drive door, and one of the DVD drives is crooked. I investigate, trying to see if it got knocked out of the mount (it's a clip-mount), but that was not the case: the mount itself is crooked. So, I open it up to see how big of a pain it's going to be to get that mount straight. Answer: big pain. I just installed another mount in one of the 3 open bays and moved it down there.

However, while I was doing that, I noticed that my round IDE cable was BROKEN. Like, the plastic around the cables is broken, so I have no way of pulling it off without pliers, which I used to move the drive down into the new bracket. Super classy.

I check give everything a once-over to make sure everything that needs power has it, is connected to the right thing, no screws bouncing around inside, etc etc... I turn it on. It POSTs, and tries to load windows. Windows isn't working. Woot! I guess no one actually checks on the computer during that 24 hour quality control burn-in. Won't let me do a damn thing, so I get out that (scratched) XP Pro disc to do a format/reinstall. Fortunately, the disc works after a washing with mild soap, and just a few hours later (chkdsk, setup, new drivers, windows update) all was well.

So, my cyberpowerpc.com experience was a pain in the butt, but at least I'm up and running, playing Oblivion at 1600x1200 at ultra-high+ settings with my new (somewhat loud) machine. I really don't recommend cyberpower to anyone, in light of my experience, and even moreso, the experiences of others. (Read the review sites, it's a nightmare.)

But, if you've got the knowhow to build one yourself (so you can fix any problems introduced by their carelessness), can save money doing it, and are willing to risk a few hours (if you can fix it yourself) to a few weeks (if you need to deal with them after the sale for any reason) of headaches to save whatever you're saving by dealing with them rather than building it yourself, then be my guest.
November 26, 2006 1:35:23 AM

I remember reading your post I think, been reading alot.. so many posts.. but damn, broken cable and fudgered OS installation? I know things can get beaten about during shipping, but still.. Even I know to check the dang OS to see if it boots and runs. And I'm stupid. But Gratz on it still working out =)
November 26, 2006 1:59:02 AM

Very odd. I ordered a computer for a friend from that company last year, and everything came out pretty well. As for the loose wire, packing and shipping is probably liable there. When we got the computer, the Power button connector was loose, but that took about a second to put back in. They install the OS at the place, and give it a 24 hour run in. Surprised why its screwy though....
Related resources
November 26, 2006 2:48:17 AM

I'm not saying it's impossible for the cable head to have been broken during shipping, but the particular sort of possibility I'm talking about is the "OMFG, what if we're really in the Matrix!" kind of possible. There was nothing jiggly inside the case other than wires, and I just can't formulate a physical explanation of how the cable head could have been broken during shipping. Plus, given the reputation of this company ( reseller ratings ), it's not difficult for me to believe that they would exercise less than the utmost care in assembly/installation.
November 26, 2006 4:12:31 AM

I was once thinking of ordering a computer from cyberpowerpc but then looking at the reviews on reselleratings, I changed my mind. After that, I decided I would build the rig myself and actually learn something out of it.
November 26, 2006 4:22:49 AM

COLD. Makes parts brittle. :-)
November 26, 2006 4:58:26 AM

Yeah, it could have been brittle (shipping from SoCal to Florida, so not too cold, but maybe cold enough...), but there would still need to be a force acting on it to break it... brittleness is a dispositional property. I am not quite sure where that force is going to come from inside the case.

A much better explanation of the facts is that somebody careless broke it, and used it anyway.
November 26, 2006 6:03:03 AM

Turbulence. Airliner freight containers aren't heated...

But there's a possibility of a mouse gnawing on it in a storeroom, or a careless employee, or of poor quality inspection at manufacturing.
November 26, 2006 3:57:47 PM

Do you work for cyberpower? If so, send me an intact round IDE cable. If not, then why are you resisting the best explanation so vehemently?
November 26, 2006 4:17:24 PM

Look, this is the second thread in which you've been a jackass. I didn't see the cable, I'm just offering reasons why because you seemed to be questioning it. Forget it, you're a punk.
November 26, 2006 5:32:38 PM

Quote:
Look, this is the second thread in which you've been a jackass.

Methinks you are laboring under the weight of an attribution error.
November 26, 2006 6:12:52 PM

What are you saying, you forget our previous encounter? I'm not going to start this crap with you again. You're a moron. Say whatever you want after this. I'm out.
November 26, 2006 6:39:02 PM

Shut up please because I want to talk about Cyberpower

In the UK they have a sister company www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk

They are good value for money, and I was thinking of buying from them, but your right, seriously dodgy reputation.

I am fairly hardware literate and I could probably put together a system myself, but like you, I'm not sure whether I could do it cheaper than they could.

Im also not sure whether I could fix a PC that had something wrong with the hardware, I mean, I can usually repair windows when it screws around, but if I had dead RAM or mobo I'm not sure I could diagnose it.

What do you lot think?

EDIT: PS: thanks for posting this, very useful indeed
November 26, 2006 6:53:49 PM

Well, diagnosing dead RAM is something you ought to be able to do if you're building your own, also. You can get bad RAM, or a bad PSU, faulty motherboard, etc. directly from a supplier, it doesn't have to be destroyed by a system-builder/shipping.

If you're not sure if you could track down the particular problem with a system on your own, then you're stuck dealing with tech support. Though I didn't attempt to contact tech support/customer service about my problems, judging from the reviews I linked above, it's like pulling teeth. So, you might want to avoid putting yourself in that position.

Plus, if you wind up with a component that's DOA, you're going to have to deal with them again, anyway, if only to RMA the part. So, if things don't go your way from the start, you're looking at a big bucket of hassle that may or may not turn out okay in the end.

It's definitely a gamble. I can't say if it's a good one or not, but I was lucky enough to come out on top. I wouldn't necessarily judge them TOO harshly by the online reviews, though. Certainly, those reviews document problems that have occurred, but complainers love to write reviews, and satisfied customers seldom do, so the sample of reviews is definitely skewed toward the negative. However, while the reality of the service may not be as bad as the picture painted by the reviews, it still could be pretty abysmal. You've gotta make a judgment call, and there's very little good data to help you out.

I'd consider it this way: Look at the difference between the system you could build with cyberpower, and the system you could get elsewhere, build yourself, whatever you'll do if you don't buy from cyberpower. How much better off will you be with a working cyberpower system than with a non-cyberpower system? And how screwed will you be if you get hosed dealing with cyberpower? Does the (admittedly, nebulous) risk justify the potential gain? That's a question for you and your wallet.
November 26, 2006 7:42:21 PM

First, I'm going to assume that most people who are answering haven't owned or dealt with Cyberpower themselves, but are responding to reviews, rumors, etc. If someone has had the experience, simply say it so that everyone knows what's firsthand and what isn't.

That said, I bought a Cyberpower last winter after a storm wiped out my old Alienware and the insurance money bought the Cyberpower. For those who wonder, the insurance company would not pay me directly so that I could buy parts and rebuild.

The computer arrived safe and sound, but failed after a couple weeks. A few phone calls and work on my end to figure out what was wrong and the motherboard was RMA'd without problem. During this time, I added a hardrive and changed the psu in anticipation of getting a better video card with water cooling. When the new motherboard still didn't fix the entire problem, they took it back and fixed it, though they didn't tell me what was wrong. They made no mention about the new items that I installed affecting the warrenty. It was dead when it arrived the second time, but looking it over revealed that a wire had fallen loose during shipping. No big deal to put it back on. It has run without incident since.

I've since gotten more hardware and a more powerful video card, upgraded the ram, added a Zalman 9500 and did a couple other things for which I wouldn't expect any warrenty service. But that should be expected.

I've bought new computers from Dell, Alienware, and HP and can't say that my experience with Cyberpower was any worse than any of these other companies. Yes, I prefer to build my own so that I have all the original boxes, hardware manuals and can generally save money. Besides, if I put it together than I also have a better idea of how to fix it if something does go bad. But from my experience through the years, I can't say that Cyberpower is any worse than any other company and if I had to buy a store bought type computer again, I wouldn't reject them. But that's based on my experience and I can't judge what other buyers may have experienced.
November 26, 2006 7:48:20 PM

Welcome to reality.
You can't just choose a seller with a lower price without them cutting corners somewhere, and in this case it was QC and setup.

Quote:
Though I didn't attempt to contact tech support/customer service about my problems,...

I didn't realize their CSR was a mind-reader.
Take $5 you saved and buy an IDE cable.

Trying to cut corners as much as possible on an assembled system is a bad idea, unless cutting corners only means buying lower-spec parts (excluding PSU, which can be more problematic rather than just limited functionality or performance running apps).

The two better alternatives are paying what it's worth for a quality assembly and installation, or buying separate parts and DIY. To think about having problems going the route you did is uncalled for, they gave you what you paid for.

... and no, I don't work for them, but yes, you're a moron.
November 26, 2006 8:31:38 PM

I just ordered a PC from Cyberpower last week. This is the first time I have dealt with them. So far they are on track to ship within 10 business days, as their site promises. I'll keep you guys posted as to my experiences.
November 26, 2006 8:59:47 PM

Quote:
Shut up please because I want to talk about Cyberpower

Are you retarded? I just said I was done. Don't use reply if you're not specifically point me out.
November 26, 2006 9:09:44 PM

Quote:
Say whatever you want after this. I'm out.

I thought you were out? A liar and a verbal thug, glad I don't know you in real life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading all this I am genuinely considering buying from CP, at least if it all goes tits up I can blame someone else lol.

In regards to what I was saying about not being able to diagnose faulty ram etc, I know that you I could get bad RAM from the manufacturer as well, but it just always seems easier to fix something you put together yourself you know, its like when your mum rings up and asks why her computers broken, and your like "well what did you do to it?" - Come to think of it, glad I don't work in tech support!
November 26, 2006 9:13:50 PM

Maybe I meant I was out of the argument with that silly Rashnid kid. An assumptious little prick. You're LUCKY you don't know me in real life, as I'd be likely to not tolerate your wise-cracks. :-)
November 27, 2006 12:23:42 AM

I'm sensing some seriously hositility in this thread, I think everyone deserves to be blown up IRL.
November 27, 2006 12:27:15 AM

I dunno, these stupid kids always try to pick fights and spew at the mouth without any knowledge.
November 27, 2006 12:30:02 AM

My last tower was from CP. I have no complaints with them. I got exactly what I ordered. It ran right out of the box as you would expect.

After the fact I did discover that they put the memory in slot2 vs 1. Not a big deal.

If you dont like the deals they have go to Alienware etc and buy one there.
Cyberpower has great prices and so so service. But compared to Dell, Falcon, they are a steal. Look around even the guys who have bought from the high end mfg still have complaints.

Just make sure they put it together correctly. They DO provide the mobo book and all other manuels. Read the manuels and double check there work. They seem to throw the machines together. It doesnt look like they have much of a profit margin, so I wouldnt expect they are being built by a tri lam(revenge of the nerds).
My .02
November 27, 2006 2:48:13 AM

I gotta tell you though, they have some ugly cases. :-P
November 27, 2006 4:41:32 AM

I ordered a PC from them a few years ago. It came in a huge box, and the CPU heatsink had been knocked loose during shipping. Easy fix, and no big deal. Other than that I had no problem with it at all. It came with the mobo / video card manuals, which was all I really needed.

It's now sitting in my friend's dorm room, running just as fine as the day I bought it.
November 27, 2006 5:31:29 AM

ugh

Quote:
"No, I prefer homebuilding, even if it costs a bit more."

LOL, homebuilding is cheaper fyi.
November 27, 2006 6:07:54 AM

Quote:
ugh

Agree, unless they (system builders/resellers etc) use crappy,low quality parts
November 27, 2006 7:06:11 AM

Quote:
ugh

I was looking for the homebuild is cheaper option but it wasn't there so I picked the next best thing which is the I don't have money anyway thing.
November 27, 2006 3:03:38 PM

Quote:
I gotta tell you though, they have some ugly cases. :-P

But they do offer a variety of cases from which to choose. At least a person has more choice from them than from some companies.
November 27, 2006 3:24:35 PM

Yeah, a choice of ugly cases. :-P Eh, to each their own. I like bold simplistic (usually black) designs. LED's are nice as they create a nice contrast, but some systems go overkill.
April 19, 2008 10:12:24 PM

Just over a year ago I bought a computer from cyberpower. It took an extra week to build, but it arrived in good shape with all of the manuals and software undamaged. It fired up on my previously owned crt and speakers and has never given me any trouble. It came with Vista home premium, at my choice, and over all I like that OS, but it is a little strange at times. I started the pc on the cyberpower site with configuration for a super gamer and down graded it to my needs for e mail and photoshop picture management. It has dual core IBM with an asus motherboard and 2 gigs of memory and two hard drives adding up to 600 gbs. They may have read some of the negative reviews and gotten better. They have taken care of me and I would try them again.
February 4, 2009 1:06:20 AM

IF I ABLE TO FIND OTHER COMPANY THAT CAN BUILT TOP OF THE LINE PC, I WOULD NOT EVER GOING TO BUY IT FROM CYBERPOWER. REASONS! I HAVE SPENT THOUSAND OF $ FOR THEM TO BUILT BUT WHEN I RECIEVED THE PC ,NOTHING WORK. I HAVE SENT IT BACK THREE TIMES BECAUSE I DON'T WANT THEM TO CHARGE ME A RESTOCKING FEE. DON'T BELIEVE ME?JUST IMAGINE YOU BOUGHT A PC THE FIRST TIME TO YOUR LIKENESS AND THEN WHEN IT GET HOME NOTHING WORK.........
February 21, 2009 3:41:39 PM

Hey Guys,

I've been in the market for a computer for quite sometime now, and I have been looking around at many different sites for the last couple months. I looked at Dell, HP, Ibuypower, Cyberpowerpc, etc. Dell would have been the genuine choice because of their reliability, but they just didn't have the customizable options I wanted. So I looked at Cyberpowerpc and they seem to be the best choice because of their good prices and customizable options.

But now after reading this forum, I don't know whether or not to buy from them anymore. They don't seem very reliable. If I bought a computer from them, and it came broken, I probably wouldn't be able to fix it.

Any suggestions on any other site I should look at? Or is it better to try and build my own computer?

Thanks
February 21, 2009 6:43:25 PM

I CAN ONLY TELL YOU ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH CYBERPOWERPC. here goes,DON'T BUY IT FROM THEM.yes they customized it for you but with some missing parts that you have paid and some that are there either lose or not working.but some good things are that they missed shipping a $500.00 speakers and a pc(who knows how much that is but have more juice than mine) with a total of three items including my pc to my address and i ending up keeping the speakers.but they call back for the pc but never the speakers. I send to them three times to fix my pc then in four months later it is not working. pissed off i take to local pc repair and spend $800.00 for new motherboard.now i been using my pc 4 years without incident and blasted that free speakers with my creative game sound card( not come from them during customized. i replace it myself ). i can suggest a pc builder to you but i never order from them but i learn on their web page.go to this one and check it out.they seems to built more powerful pc than cyberpc and maybe reliable.and let me know if you have it with puget.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=21
Cpanthers15 said:
Hey Guys,

I've been in the market for a computer for quite sometime now, and I have been looking around at many different sites for the last couple months. I looked at Dell, HP, Ibuypower, Cyberpowerpc, etc. Dell would have been the genuine choice because of their reliability, but they just didn't have the customizable options I wanted. So I looked at Cyberpowerpc and they seem to be the best choice because of their good prices and customizable options.

But now after reading this forum, I don't know whether or not to buy from them anymore. They don't seem very reliable. If I bought a computer from them, and it came broken, I probably wouldn't be able to fix it.

Any suggestions on any other site I should look at? Or is it better to try and build my own computer?

Thanks

February 22, 2009 6:05:24 AM

why cyberpower? why not build it yourself? it's obviously close to hundred dollars cheaper, and you get way better parts than what they offer.
February 22, 2009 2:15:28 PM

Problem is, I really don't know how to assemble a computer. And all the internet guides are too confusing.
March 6, 2009 2:14:34 PM

CyberpowerPC is a nightmare. I have built and sold PCs in the past, but these days I don't bother. I ordered (and returned) one of their pieces of junk. They love to lay everything on "obvious shipping damage", even when the box is in perfect condition and the problems are software-related.

I had a slew of problems, but the last straw was when I had BIOS errors in my Windows event log. I checked the BIOS version and they had installed a **BETA** version of my BIOS!! You don't sell people Beta software, guys. It's still in the testing phrase for a reason.

So I returned it, after getting about 40 minutes of flack. They cited "restocking fees" and shipping, etc. I argued them down to just the original shipping fee, but they made sure to tell me to return every single item I received. They even mentioned specifically the "free" t-shirt, saying if I didn't return it, I would be charged.

I guess now I just need to wait and see if I do indeed get the refund I expect. What a nightmare.

Anyone that reads all the negative comments and still orders... well, let's just say I have some oceanfront property in Utah to sell you.
March 19, 2009 7:33:57 AM

Despite the mixed reviews from people I'm strongly considering buying a Custom System from Cyberpowerpc. The thing is I have had experience building a system. And while I feel confident I could do it again...I just can't find the components for less than Cyberpowerpc will sell me the entire system. All the other webistes I've looked at don't come close in price...except for www.Ibuypower.com

I've looked up both companies on the www.bbb.org. Ibuypower.com has a lower rating than Cyberpower.

The system I am looking to buy is:
- This system is a "pre-made" that they have and I made some "tweaks" to it to put the components in I felt were of great value...

CAS: NEW!!! CoolerMaster Cosmos S Gaming Full Tower 420W Case w/ Transparent Side Panel [+61]

CASUPGRADE: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (RED COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 [-284]

CD: Lite-On DH-401S 4X Blu-Ray Player

CD2: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

FAN: CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof) [+4]

HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 4 Identical Hard Drives [+68] (2TB (500GBx4) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+60])

KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 250 USB Keyboard (Black Color)

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

MOTHERBOARD: ](3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 X2 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)

MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+29] (($30 off Mail-in Rebate) Corsair)

NETWORK: (Free Upgrade from Killer K1) Killer M1 10/100/1000 Gigabit High Speed Online Gaming PCI Network Interface Card [+150]

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts Power Supplies [+114] (Thermaltake W0131RU ToughPower 850 Watts- NVIDIA GTX 8800 Certified)
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
_PRICE: (+2241)

I will be getting a 5% discount from this price as well so my final price (pre-tax, I live in California) is $2129. Also as I live only about 35 miles from their factory I will be picking it up...so I'm not concerned about shipping issues...and if I do need to return it...again...I won't have to worry about shipping issues.

The major components seem to be quality parts...at least as far as I can tell...IMHO (Mobo, CPU, NIC, GPU, GPU Fan, Case, and PSU)

If I could find the components for less...I would consider building my own system again...I still have a LIAN-Li PC-61 Case from my last build that is not currently being used. I've searched all the major component selling sites including:

www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.microcenter.com

I also want to qualify that when I say similar...the key components are the same...difference lie in the case, ram, and optical drives which I feel there is not a significant difference unless you are buying VERY high end components or the newest technology.

I've also looked at other websites/companies that have custom systems:
www.iBuypower.com
www.xicomputer.com
www.avadirect.com aka www.mgepconline.com (Both companies have the exact same corporate office/physical location)
www.alienware.com
www.hp.com
www.dell.com
www.microcenter.com
www.falcon-nw.com ($600 more and NO GTX295 available)
www.powerspec.com
www.maingear.com ($1000 more for a similar system)
www.pugetsystems.com ($800 more for a similar, with less features)
www.pogolinux.com
www.biohazard-computers.com
www.digitalstormonline.com
www.centauruscomputers.com
www.mpcscomputers.com
www.vigorgaming.com ($500 more and no M-1 or K-1 Bigfootnetworks NIC)

I'm probably forgetting some but these are the ones I KNOW I looked at as a possibility.

With some of these companies, for a machine that was VERY closely spec'd to the list of items above, were 2-3 TIMES the price...you can check it out for yourself. Customer service and quality are important...but at what price...

I am totally open to suggestions...but again...even buying the parts myself...i'm going to pay at least $300 or more over what I could have Cyberpower build it for me.

The only thing I am not sure of...is for the same money of buying a Velociraptor 300 SATA II, I could have 4x500gb SATA drives in Raid-0. So I'm not sure which way to go as far as that goes...

Please give an honest opinion based of the information I was able to provide....

Thank you.
April 2, 2009 11:46:30 PM

Fence82246 said:
Despite the mixed reviews from people I'm strongly considering buying a Custom System from Cyberpowerpc. The thing is I have had experience building a system. And while I feel confident I could do it again...I just can't find the components for less than Cyberpowerpc will sell me the entire system. All the other webistes I've looked at don't come close in price...except for www.Ibuypower.com

I've looked up both companies on the www.bbb.org. Ibuypower.com has a lower rating than Cyberpower.

The system I am looking to buy is:
- This system is a "pre-made" that they have and I made some "tweaks" to it to put the components in I felt were of great value...

CAS: NEW!!! CoolerMaster Cosmos S Gaming Full Tower 420W Case w/ Transparent Side Panel [+61]

CASUPGRADE: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (RED COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 [-284]

CD: Lite-On DH-401S 4X Blu-Ray Player

CD2: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

FAN: CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof) [+4]

HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 4 Identical Hard Drives [+68] (2TB (500GBx4) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+60])

KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 250 USB Keyboard (Black Color)

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

MOTHERBOARD: ](3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 X2 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)

MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+29] (($30 off Mail-in Rebate) Corsair)

NETWORK: (Free Upgrade from Killer K1) Killer M1 10/100/1000 Gigabit High Speed Online Gaming PCI Network Interface Card [+150]

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts Power Supplies [+114] (Thermaltake W0131RU ToughPower 850 Watts- NVIDIA GTX 8800 Certified)
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
_PRICE: (+2241)

I will be getting a 5% discount from this price as well so my final price (pre-tax, I live in California) is $2129. Also as I live only about 35 miles from their factory I will be picking it up...so I'm not concerned about shipping issues...and if I do need to return it...again...I won't have to worry about shipping issues.

The major components seem to be quality parts...at least as far as I can tell...IMHO (Mobo, CPU, NIC, GPU, GPU Fan, Case, and PSU)

If I could find the components for less...I would consider building my own system again...I still have a LIAN-Li PC-61 Case from my last build that is not currently being used. I've searched all the major component selling sites including:

www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.microcenter.com

I also want to qualify that when I say similar...the key components are the same...difference lie in the case, ram, and optical drives which I feel there is not a significant difference unless you are buying VERY high end components or the newest technology.

I've also looked at other websites/companies that have custom systems:
www.iBuypower.com
www.xicomputer.com
www.avadirect.com aka www.mgepconline.com (Both companies have the exact same corporate office/physical location)
www.alienware.com
www.hp.com
www.dell.com
www.microcenter.com
www.falcon-nw.com ($600 more and NO GTX295 available)
www.powerspec.com
www.maingear.com ($1000 more for a similar system)
www.pugetsystems.com ($800 more for a similar, with less features)
www.pogolinux.com
www.biohazard-computers.com
www.digitalstormonline.com
www.centauruscomputers.com
www.mpcscomputers.com
www.vigorgaming.com ($500 more and no M-1 or K-1 Bigfootnetworks NIC)

I'm probably forgetting some but these are the ones I KNOW I looked at as a possibility.

With some of these companies, for a machine that was VERY closely spec'd to the list of items above, were 2-3 TIMES the price...you can check it out for yourself. Customer service and quality are important...but at what price...

I am totally open to suggestions...but again...even buying the parts myself...i'm going to pay at least $300 or more over what I could have Cyberpower build it for me.

The only thing I am not sure of...is for the same money of buying a Velociraptor 300 SATA II, I could have 4x500gb SATA drives in Raid-0. So I'm not sure which way to go as far as that goes...

Please give an honest opinion based of the information I was able to provide....

Thank you.

I won't type out the same thing here, however I made several comments to an article which you can read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-system,2251...

Horrible company. Amazingly so.
July 6, 2009 3:35:35 AM

About Cyberpowerpc. Yeah, their prices a very very cheap. And if you read the first couple of lines on thier warranty page you'll know why. They build thier computers with new or equivalent to new parts.

That's the same thing as saying used or refurbished.

I agree, if you know how to build a computer, you're best doing it yourself. And check your local stores for parts. You might pay an extra 10 here and there, but in the long run, if you have a problem you can just drive there and get it straight.

I usually go to pricewatch.com to find the lowest part prices. The redirect you to sites like newegg, barebonekit and the like.

If you want to buy a custom computer online, if the prices are too cheap, there is usually a reason. If you see monitors online, check to make sure they aren't grade b, which is scratched up.

To buy complete systems you can go to places like ibuilcomputers4u.com, newegg.com and tigerdirect.com. Those 3 sites seem pretty honest about what they sell and the prices.

I've gotten burned from a couple of places online... so now I'm very careful to read all the fineprint before buying.
July 6, 2009 3:36:07 AM

About Cyberpowerpc. Yeah, their prices a very very cheap. And if you read the first couple of lines on thier warranty page you'll know why. They build thier computers with new or equivalent to new parts.

That's the same thing as saying used or refurbished.

I agree, if you know how to build a computer, you're best doing it yourself. And check your local stores for parts. You might pay an extra 10 here and there, but in the long run, if you have a problem you can just drive there and get it straight.

I usually go to pricewatch.com to find the lowest part prices. The redirect you to sites like newegg, barebonekit and the like.

If you want to buy a custom computer online, if the prices are too cheap, there is usually a reason. If you see monitors online, check to make sure they aren't grade b, which is scratched up.

To buy complete systems you can go to places like ibuilcomputers4u.com, newegg.com and tigerdirect.com. Those 3 sites seem pretty honest about what they sell and the prices.

I've gotten burned from a couple of places online... so now I'm very careful to read all the fineprint before buying.
July 6, 2009 3:37:07 AM

I'm not a stranger lol.. you are
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2009 1:17:11 PM

WTF? Why BRING UP A DEAD THREAD????
August 4, 2009 6:03:59 PM

My dealings were with Phillip Yu (sales) and Mike (tech support). First Phillip contacted me shortly after my web order to verify the shipping address. From there I was in contact with him until I recieved my order. Next, which I will touch on later, I also have a 2nd PC order which Phillip was overseeing as well.

Back to the first order... I ordered the biostar motherboard. When I recieved my PC it had an MSI P45 Platinum MB in it. I was never called, emailed or notified about this change prior to it happening. I find this to be very distasteful. Almost as if someone was trying to pull one over on me. I should have been notified and asked if that was ok. I am the customer and made a special order and expected to get what I was paying for. When I called Phillip about this, he started questioning me about why I cared about what hardware I got as it is all the same spec. As we all know, all hardware is not created equally. I told him I would keep it but was not happy about the situation. I then started talking to him about the 2nd order that has not shipped yet. I wanted to ensure I got the MB I ordered. He advised me none were on stock so then told me they would use an MSI Neo2 board. I told him NO. I do not want the neo2 board. It has a laundry list of issues and is not a stable board. He then told me he could order the biostar board and would put that in the PC and it would still make its ship date. I was happy with that.

Last night on the 1st PC it started having issues (after only having for a week). The MB had 4 red led lights and would not boot up. After about 12 times of trying to boot it finally did. I called tech support - (spoke with Mike who was absolutely great, at first). He had me do some tests and agreed with me that this MB was having issues. He arranged to ship me a new MB and I will install it myself. I then had him check on the 2nd order. He said it was in its final stages of testing and had the Neo2 board in it. THIS IS RIDCULOUS - I specifically told Phillip Yu that I did not want that board. He blatently lied to me and told me they would not use that board. If I hadnt called to check, that PC would be shipped to me with the board I SPECIFICALLY stated I do not want. I was about 30 seconds away from cancelling the order and shipping the 1st PC back for full refund as well. As you can imagine, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Mike said he would upgrade the board in the 2nd order as well and get them to replace that before it ships.

So I get the 2nd PC - as ordered - and it worked for a day. ONE DAY. Then it would not turn on anymore. It gets power for 1 second and turns off and sits in that cycle. I called and they are sending me another power supply.

For the 1st PC - I got the replacement motherboard... but its a refurb. They only gave me the board, so i didnt get the cd, manual, back face plate to seal it in around the ports, rails, cables, nothing. Didnt even come in the original box. Needless to say, I hooked it up and its DOA.

I called today to tell them I want to return the PC, that I am just completely frustrated with it and them - I got my RMA but also was advised I have to pay for the shipping to return it. Now you times that by 2 (cuz I will be returning the 2nd pc as well) and thats about 140.00 that I am out - for what? Cuz their PC's didnt work. At this point, I am so disgusted that I dont care and I will pay that just to be done with them. I will build my own PC with NEW parts so it works right.

As for Phillip Yu - He should be fired. A customer that is spending over 1500.00 should not have to go through this type of hassle and most of all should not have parts swapped out on me without consent - and mostly should NEVER BE LIED TO.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2009 6:08:40 PM

This isnt a cyberpowerpc forum, go bitch there not here. Why do people keep bringing up ancient threads? The last time this thread was alive was 4 months ago.
August 4, 2009 7:33:54 PM

hunter315 said:
This isnt a cyberpowerpc forum, go bitch there not here. Why do people keep bringing up ancient threads? The last time this thread was alive was 4 months ago.

Meh, still not a bad thread for people to read when making this kind of a decision.

My experience with Cyberpower was great. They emailed to let me know the memory was on backorder, and wouldn't be in for another 4 days. (After I paid for rush delivery and next day air.) Turns out, the memory was there the next day, and I had it in my hands the day after. They sent EVERY possible cable, book and CD. Straight out of the box, popped it open, put my own RAM in, and fired it up. Been running perfectly ever since. (About 2 months now.)

I was a bit concerned about the vid cards since they list it as "major brand" and won't tell you what it is, but ended up getting Sapphire, which is what I was going to order if I'd built it myself.

Had a friend order one recently as well. Other than a delay in shipping due to a backorder, he's had no issues as well.
November 1, 2009 8:27:42 PM

Well, I'm new here and just ordered a monster rig from them. About $2400.00 worth. I hope it arrives okay. I'm not in a hurry and spent an extra $19.00 on the "extra care" foam they load into the case to help prevent the shifting of parts in transit. I was hesitant at first too. I've read many mixed reviews, but after doing the math, It would probably cost me more to order all the individual parts and put it together myself. I look at it this way....Most people are only going to post the negative review and not report the positive experiences and like others have said in this thread, you can find negative reveiws on just about any other company as well. I've owned three Dells and my experience with them has been A+ so far. However, when I first went to check reviews on Cyberpower, at first I was shocked and said "no way".. Then out of curiousity, on the same site, I reviewed what I considered to be reputable, more well known companies. When I did, I was surprised to see how low Dell rated, along with some others, and Cyberpower rated much higher than they did. That's when I decided to take the risk and came to conclude my "they only post negative reviews and don't bother if they're happy" hypothisis. They have the best prices by far. I suppose I'll know in a couple of weeks if I made the right decision and I'll report my findings at that time.
November 18, 2009 9:58:05 PM

This system does not perform nearly like it should. The system is quite unstable. It arrived with a scratched case but I was informed I was responsible for payment to ship it back.

3 months into owning this computer the video card fan went out and the power supply blew up because it was too weak for the system. It ruined my hard drive and I lost EVERYTHING. I called and waited on hold for 30 minutes only to find out that I wouldn't be able to get an rma to return it for 48 hours and I would have to pay shipping.

The RMA never came so I called back all day for two days. Finally I decided to wait it out on speaker phone with two lines called in. 140 minutes on hold.

The tech support guy was rude and obviously overworked. Here I am now, paying to ship the system back so I can get used parts put in at my cost.

DO NOT BUY FROM CYBERPOWERPC!
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2009 10:00:51 PM

DO NOT BRING UP DEAD THREADS NOOBS!!!

The original post is from 2006!!!!!
November 18, 2009 11:04:30 PM

Shadow703793 said:
DO NOT BRING UP DEAD THREADS NOOBS!!!

The original post is from 2006!!!!!

Two points here.......

1) This thread was found by "googling the company" and a link brought us to this thread (at least me anyway).

2) If we're posting and you are too, while the thread may be old, I guess the thread is not dead is it?
!