My Cyberpowerpc experience.

Would you ever deal with cyberpower?

• Yes, I trust them.

Votes: 18 13.6%
  • Yes, I love suffering.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Yes, I might take the gamble.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • No, I prefer homebuilding, even if it costs a bit more.

Votes: 39 29.5%
  • No, I''d rather avoid the potential headaches.

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • No, I don''t have any money, anyway.

Votes: 10 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I'd promised in an earlier thread to come back and tell the story of my experience with Cyberpowerpc.com, and so here I am.

I'd read all the bad reviews before ordering, but when shipping was factored in I was paying cyberpower less for my new computer than I would have payed to build it myself with parts from online retailers. So, I hoped that either my computer would arrive in decent enough shape that I could get it going, or that I could bully them into giving my money back with a nice letter full of flowery legalese.

So, here's what I got:

NZXT Zero Aluminum case
EVGA 680i Motherboard
E6600 Conroe processor (Stock cooling solution)
8800GTX video card
74 gig Raptor
250 gig storage drive
2 DVD burners
Audigy 4 soundcard

That's everything of consequence. Anyway, I don't get rush assembly, they send it out six days after I ordered. (promised 5 to 10, so no complaints, there) A few days later, refrigerator box (slight exaggeration) arrives with my computer inside. Here's what was in the box:
* my assembled computer,
* a random box for a watercooler containing (very poorly packed):
---- a book for my motherboard booklet (very glad to have it, but from what I understand from reviews, you cannot count on receiving this)
---- several mounting brackets for my case
---- SLI bridge for my motherboard
---- the driver discs for my motherboard, soundcard, and video card
---- my Windows XP Pro install disc, out of the sleeve and getting scratched to hell by loose mounting brackets
---- a Vista voucher redemption form, which I can't seem to get working on the website (will have to try calling)
---- an S-video-to-component adapter for my video card
---- two DVI-to-VGA adapters for my video card

So, not quite everything I might have wanted (no book/instructions for my case), but there was some stuff. Anyway, I put the box aside and pulled out my computer.

I open up the drive door, and one of the DVD drives is crooked. I investigate, trying to see if it got knocked out of the mount (it's a clip-mount), but that was not the case: the mount itself is crooked. So, I open it up to see how big of a pain it's going to be to get that mount straight. Answer: big pain. I just installed another mount in one of the 3 open bays and moved it down there.

However, while I was doing that, I noticed that my round IDE cable was BROKEN. Like, the plastic around the cables is broken, so I have no way of pulling it off without pliers, which I used to move the drive down into the new bracket. Super classy.

I check give everything a once-over to make sure everything that needs power has it, is connected to the right thing, no screws bouncing around inside, etc etc... I turn it on. It POSTs, and tries to load windows. Windows isn't working. Woot! I guess no one actually checks on the computer during that 24 hour quality control burn-in. Won't let me do a damn thing, so I get out that (scratched) XP Pro disc to do a format/reinstall. Fortunately, the disc works after a washing with mild soap, and just a few hours later (chkdsk, setup, new drivers, windows update) all was well.

So, my cyberpowerpc.com experience was a pain in the butt, but at least I'm up and running, playing Oblivion at 1600x1200 at ultra-high+ settings with my new (somewhat loud) machine. I really don't recommend cyberpower to anyone, in light of my experience, and even moreso, the experiences of others. (Read the review sites, it's a nightmare.)

But, if you've got the knowhow to build one yourself (so you can fix any problems introduced by their carelessness), can save money doing it, and are willing to risk a few hours (if you can fix it yourself) to a few weeks (if you need to deal with them after the sale for any reason) of headaches to save whatever you're saving by dealing with them rather than building it yourself, then be my guest.

sorrowfox

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I remember reading your post I think, been reading alot.. so many posts.. but damn, broken cable and fudgered OS installation? I know things can get beaten about during shipping, but still.. Even I know to check the dang OS to see if it boots and runs. And I'm stupid. But Gratz on it still working out =)

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Very odd. I ordered a computer for a friend from that company last year, and everything came out pretty well. As for the loose wire, packing and shipping is probably liable there. When we got the computer, the Power button connector was loose, but that took about a second to put back in. They install the OS at the place, and give it a 24 hour run in. Surprised why its screwy though....

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I'm not saying it's impossible for the cable head to have been broken during shipping, but the particular sort of possibility I'm talking about is the "OMFG, what if we're really in the Matrix!" kind of possible. There was nothing jiggly inside the case other than wires, and I just can't formulate a physical explanation of how the cable head could have been broken during shipping. Plus, given the reputation of this company ( reseller ratings ), it's not difficult for me to believe that they would exercise less than the utmost care in assembly/installation.

desidude006

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
I was once thinking of ordering a computer from cyberpowerpc but then looking at the reviews on reselleratings, I changed my mind. After that, I decided I would build the rig myself and actually learn something out of it.

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Yeah, it could have been brittle (shipping from SoCal to Florida, so not too cold, but maybe cold enough...), but there would still need to be a force acting on it to break it... brittleness is a dispositional property. I am not quite sure where that force is going to come from inside the case.

A much better explanation of the facts is that somebody careless broke it, and used it anyway.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Turbulence. Airliner freight containers aren't heated...

But there's a possibility of a mouse gnawing on it in a storeroom, or a careless employee, or of poor quality inspection at manufacturing.

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Do you work for cyberpower? If so, send me an intact round IDE cable. If not, then why are you resisting the best explanation so vehemently?

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Look, this is the second thread in which you've been a jackass. I didn't see the cable, I'm just offering reasons why because you seemed to be questioning it. Forget it, you're a punk.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
What are you saying, you forget our previous encounter? I'm not going to start this crap with you again. You're a moron. Say whatever you want after this. I'm out.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Shut up please because I want to talk about Cyberpower

In the UK they have a sister company www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk

They are good value for money, and I was thinking of buying from them, but your right, seriously dodgy reputation.

I am fairly hardware literate and I could probably put together a system myself, but like you, I'm not sure whether I could do it cheaper than they could.

Im also not sure whether I could fix a PC that had something wrong with the hardware, I mean, I can usually repair windows when it screws around, but if I had dead RAM or mobo I'm not sure I could diagnose it.

What do you lot think?

EDIT: PS: thanks for posting this, very useful indeed

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Well, diagnosing dead RAM is something you ought to be able to do if you're building your own, also. You can get bad RAM, or a bad PSU, faulty motherboard, etc. directly from a supplier, it doesn't have to be destroyed by a system-builder/shipping.

If you're not sure if you could track down the particular problem with a system on your own, then you're stuck dealing with tech support. Though I didn't attempt to contact tech support/customer service about my problems, judging from the reviews I linked above, it's like pulling teeth. So, you might want to avoid putting yourself in that position.

Plus, if you wind up with a component that's DOA, you're going to have to deal with them again, anyway, if only to RMA the part. So, if things don't go your way from the start, you're looking at a big bucket of hassle that may or may not turn out okay in the end.

It's definitely a gamble. I can't say if it's a good one or not, but I was lucky enough to come out on top. I wouldn't necessarily judge them TOO harshly by the online reviews, though. Certainly, those reviews document problems that have occurred, but complainers love to write reviews, and satisfied customers seldom do, so the sample of reviews is definitely skewed toward the negative. However, while the reality of the service may not be as bad as the picture painted by the reviews, it still could be pretty abysmal. You've gotta make a judgment call, and there's very little good data to help you out.

I'd consider it this way: Look at the difference between the system you could build with cyberpower, and the system you could get elsewhere, build yourself, whatever you'll do if you don't buy from cyberpower. How much better off will you be with a working cyberpower system than with a non-cyberpower system? And how screwed will you be if you get hosed dealing with cyberpower? Does the (admittedly, nebulous) risk justify the potential gain? That's a question for you and your wallet.

sailer

Splendid
First, I'm going to assume that most people who are answering haven't owned or dealt with Cyberpower themselves, but are responding to reviews, rumors, etc. If someone has had the experience, simply say it so that everyone knows what's firsthand and what isn't.

That said, I bought a Cyberpower last winter after a storm wiped out my old Alienware and the insurance money bought the Cyberpower. For those who wonder, the insurance company would not pay me directly so that I could buy parts and rebuild.

The computer arrived safe and sound, but failed after a couple weeks. A few phone calls and work on my end to figure out what was wrong and the motherboard was RMA'd without problem. During this time, I added a hardrive and changed the psu in anticipation of getting a better video card with water cooling. When the new motherboard still didn't fix the entire problem, they took it back and fixed it, though they didn't tell me what was wrong. They made no mention about the new items that I installed affecting the warrenty. It was dead when it arrived the second time, but looking it over revealed that a wire had fallen loose during shipping. No big deal to put it back on. It has run without incident since.

I've since gotten more hardware and a more powerful video card, upgraded the ram, added a Zalman 9500 and did a couple other things for which I wouldn't expect any warrenty service. But that should be expected.

I've bought new computers from Dell, Alienware, and HP and can't say that my experience with Cyberpower was any worse than any of these other companies. Yes, I prefer to build my own so that I have all the original boxes, hardware manuals and can generally save money. Besides, if I put it together than I also have a better idea of how to fix it if something does go bad. But from my experience through the years, I can't say that Cyberpower is any worse than any other company and if I had to buy a store bought type computer again, I wouldn't reject them. But that's based on my experience and I can't judge what other buyers may have experienced.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Welcome to reality.
You can't just choose a seller with a lower price without them cutting corners somewhere, and in this case it was QC and setup.

Though I didn't attempt to contact tech support/customer service about my problems,...

I didn't realize their CSR was a mind-reader.
Take $5 you saved and buy an IDE cable.

Trying to cut corners as much as possible on an assembled system is a bad idea, unless cutting corners only means buying lower-spec parts (excluding PSU, which can be more problematic rather than just limited functionality or performance running apps).

The two better alternatives are paying what it's worth for a quality assembly and installation, or buying separate parts and DIY. To think about having problems going the route you did is uncalled for, they gave you what you paid for.

... and no, I don't work for them, but yes, you're a moron.

Bulletproofman19

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I just ordered a PC from Cyberpower last week. This is the first time I have dealt with them. So far they are on track to ship within 10 business days, as their site promises. I'll keep you guys posted as to my experiences.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Say whatever you want after this. I'm out.

I thought you were out? A liar and a verbal thug, glad I don't know you in real life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading all this I am genuinely considering buying from CP, at least if it all goes tits up I can blame someone else lol.

In regards to what I was saying about not being able to diagnose faulty ram etc, I know that you I could get bad RAM from the manufacturer as well, but it just always seems easier to fix something you put together yourself you know, its like when your mum rings up and asks why her computers broken, and your like "well what did you do to it?" - Come to think of it, glad I don't work in tech support!

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Maybe I meant I was out of the argument with that silly Rashnid kid. An assumptious little prick. You're LUCKY you don't know me in real life, as I'd be likely to not tolerate your wise-cracks. :)

mars_THoC

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
My last tower was from CP. I have no complaints with them. I got exactly what I ordered. It ran right out of the box as you would expect.

After the fact I did discover that they put the memory in slot2 vs 1. Not a big deal.

If you dont like the deals they have go to Alienware etc and buy one there.
Cyberpower has great prices and so so service. But compared to Dell, Falcon, they are a steal. Look around even the guys who have bought from the high end mfg still have complaints.

Just make sure they put it together correctly. They DO provide the mobo book and all other manuels. Read the manuels and double check there work. They seem to throw the machines together. It doesnt look like they have much of a profit margin, so I wouldnt expect they are being built by a tri lam(revenge of the nerds).
My .02

Splic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I ordered a PC from them a few years ago. It came in a huge box, and the CPU heatsink had been knocked loose during shipping. Easy fix, and no big deal. Other than that I had no problem with it at all. It came with the mobo / video card manuals, which was all I really needed.

It's now sitting in my friend's dorm room, running just as fine as the day I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.