A BETTER VIDEO CARD OR MORE RAM

Andwele

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I have an ATI Radeon 256 mb hyper memory video card and 512 mb of Ram I play mostly games like FIFA O7 and NBA Live 07
At the highest resolution the game plays choppy
whats the solution,
do I need more ram to solve that problem, if so how much would your recommend
do i need a memory card with more memory or a different meMory card, my friend told me that nvidia performs the best

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Your post is rather vague, I could give you several solutions...
Add more RAM.
Get a better video card.
Actually tell us what your current video card is.
Tell us your system specs while you're at it.
Turn down the resolution.Anyway, there are several flavors of ATi HyperMemory cards, all of which suck. We need your system configuration to get you anywhere.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
These things should be posted publicly, so other people can input on them. It helps to get second opinions.

Taken from a PM:
so the ati radeon video card sucks i hear that point
what kind of card do u suggest i buy whats the best brand and how much memory should the card have 256 mb or 512 mb, and whats a good amount of ram to have in my pc for games 1 gig ? 2 gigs?
and by the way i gave u my system specs i have a intel pentium 2.80 cpu, 512 mb of ddr2 ram what other specs do u need to know from me
I have an agp slot and a pci slot but i dont know if its pci express
in case you are wondering my pc is a dell dimension 5150 a new brand i brough six months ago that should help u know if it came with pci express
If the computer was new six months ago when you bought it, then it should be using PCI express. My advice would be to get more RAM and a better video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125025
The 7600GT is a cheap but potent upgrade (There are cheaper ones; what's your budget?).

As for RAM, taking it up to at least 1GB should help as well. Seriously, ask around, as other people can help you.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
my friend told me that nvidia performs the best

The first thing you're gonna want to do is quit listening to your friend. nVidia is not better than ATI and ATI is not better than nVidia. They are both good. It really depends on the card you buy and what types of games you want to play. First thing you want to do is make sure you don't have a bunch of background processes running. Virus scans, adware, AOL, chat programs, etc...will slow down your system. Secondly, upgrade your video card. Learn more about computers, so you can figure out what you have and what you need. Read articles on websites. Type in "what is RAM?" in google, or "Video card slot types" etc.

advcomp2019

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Never use HyperMemory or TurboCache. I have seen computers get slowed down with them. If you want to know, ATI and nVidia have their own pros and cons depending on the game that you want to play.

I like ATI, but it depends on the person tastes and what games you play and how much room you have in your case.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You really shouldn't say "never use" with any product. :) Nvidia and ATI both make good cards. A good swathe of benchmarks should point you to which is best for the cost. Check Tom's VGA charts.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Hyper memory is where the card uses system memory for video memory isnt it? wouldnt that mean if he has set his video card to 256 megs his system really only has 256 megs left for everythign else?

What would really help out is having a real video card with real onboard full speed high bandwidth memory that the GPU can take advantage of. Though adding more ram would of course help out drasticly since you are vary short on that even if the video card wasnt sucking half of it off. however adding any video card with onboard ram would help out even more. IMO you need two upgrades which is your video card adn ram.

What do you mean by memory card?

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Andwele, please don't PM me asking me why I directed you to research RAM more. I figured you know very little about hardware, since you said "My friend told me nVidia is best" Do your own homework! Asking questions is good, but you've got to dig a little. Most of what you want to know is already answered somewhere online.