Status
Not open for further replies.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i got a new computer and it has the Celeron D 352 in it and it seems to run very well for a low budget processor.
i noticed that it is a cedar mills core and was wondering what the draw backs from this cpu is and what i would gain if i put in a new cpu like the pentinum d 805.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
The Celeron D 352 is probably the best Desktop Celeron there is, since it's Cedar Mill, and has an insane overclock potential (5+ GHz).

Upgrading to a 805D, you would gain:
1. a space heater
2. another core
3. a step backwards in process generation
4. a great increase in multitasking performance
5. a great increase in responsiveness

Please, send me the Celeron D 352, I've been dying to bench that against my Northwood CPUs

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
The Celeron D 352 is probably the best Desktop Celeron there is, since it's Cedar Mill, and has an insane overclock potential (5+ GHz).

1. a space heater
2. another core

Please, send me the Celeron D 352, I've been dying to bench that against my Northwood CPUs

i could see the multitasking increase due to the extra core but what would cause the increase in responsivness? the only difference i see in the cpu's are the extra core and the 1 meg instead of the 512 for l2 cache

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

1. a space heater
2. another core

i could see the multitasking increase due to the extra core but what would cause the increase in responsivness? the only difference i see in the cpu's are the extra core and the 1 meg instead of the 512 for l2 cache

For twice the price of a 805; get an E6300/6400 and let your soul in peace. ALL modern CPUs offer 'decent' everyday performance but as soon as you do something else, you realize it's not that good because;
1- Cedar Mill is little more than a Prescott die shrink and still retains the famous 31-stage pipeline
2- The lack of HT (in the celeron D) makes it a very bad multitasker (worse than AMDs Athlon and Sempron single cores)
3- Even if it goes up to 5GHz, nobody has shown some decent benchmarked increase in performance (aside from a spectaculsr SuperPI score)
4- An overclocked 805 still performs worse than a stock E6400

If you're talking about P4 Northwoods, prepare yourself to be disappointed: most benchmarks on the web (even the old Tom's charts) show that in many cases, it takes a 2.8-3.0G Prescott to match a 2.67G Northwood :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.