P4 with HT vs P4 Duo Core 950

G

I am just wondering if there is much difference in overall performance for the price difference. If I have access to a P4 3.2 and a motherboard with AGP so I can easily upgrade my home PC rather than go out and buy a new board with PCI etc... to run the Dual Core P4 for cheap since the C2E isn't in my budget at the moment. I am running an AMD 64 3000+ and wonder if the Hyper Threading or the Dual Core would be a noticeable difference ?

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I am just wondering if there is much difference in overall performance for the price difference. If I have access to a P4 3.2 and a motherboard with AGP so I can easily upgrade my home PC rather than go out and buy a new board with PCI etc... to run the Dual Core P4 for cheap since the C2E isn't in my budget at the moment. I am running an AMD 64 3000+ and wonder if the Hyper Threading or the Dual Core would be a noticeable difference ?

Yes.
Hyperthreading and Dual Core will have an important impact in performance.

You may try P-D or A64 x2.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
The Pentium 4 (Dual Core) is the Pentium D being marketed incorrectly.
Do not buy from people who remark products to sell 'things that Intel have not sanctioned'.

And no, over an Athlon 64 3000 you'd notice pretty much nothing in most apps. Video encoding is the only exception really.

Download SiSoft SANDRA and dig around it a little.
www.sisoftware.co.uk
You'll learn heaps over a weekend or less.

endyen

Splendid
As far as HT goes, your current set up will be as fast as a P4e with HT. I wouldn't spend a dime on it.
If you need more out of your system, see if an AMD X2 chip will fit your mobo.
That would give much better bang for buck.
If you are willing to spend the big bucks, Intel's core2 duo is the best performer available today.

G

Ok guys just for an update I decided and bought the c2d e6400 and p5pe-vm and installing now as i type this. Thanx for the feedback