NT BDC to PDC

Derek1970

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
I have a client who is changing over parent companies.

Currently, my client has an NT BDC at the location that is synching with the soon to be X parent companies NT PDC in another location. The synching is happening over a VPN via Nortel.

This Saturday, I will be replacing the Nortel with another router, thus will be severing connectivity to the old parent company.

I understand, the NT BDC has a read only copy of the SAM, thus I will need to promote the BDC to a PDC after severing the connection with the old parent company (otherwise it will demote the PDC in another location to a BDC). I would also like to keep the same NT domain for now as soon they will be upgraded to Active Directory, but for this weekend I need to ensure the transition goes through smoothly and quickly.

My question is this:
Do any of you see a problem or potential pitfall I need to be aware of?

Here is the order in which I plan to do this:
(1) Replace the router (this will sever the current connection to the X parent company).
(2) Promote the NT BDC to PDC via server manager (and keep the exisiting NT domain name for now).
(3) Point each client to the new Echange server hosted by the new parent company (backing up exising mail into PSTs was already done etc.).

Should severing the BDC and promoting to PDC be the quickest way to do this VS rebuilding an NT PDC from scratch? I'm tryin to avoid rebuilding the NT PDC from scratch so I don't have to rejoin all the client machines to the existing domain (to save time).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

OmegaVTX

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Sounds like this is a little late but...
Yeah that sounds right on. Things to watchout for is to make sure you have a good back up incase the upgrade fails. Also it is a good idea to make a new BDC once the old BDC is promoted. Also be aware of the new parent companies IP scheme and naming/domain scheme.

Good Luck!