Minimum PSU for 8800 GTX

hi ppl yesterday i bought ASUS EN8800GTX
but i think i have PSU short of breath that is its only 500 watt PSU

but there is another thing that i wuold like to mention here is that i dont have extra prepherials to run on it like i have only one HDD SATA that is and probably a DVD rom at the most plus two fans 80mm fans in the casing

ther system is e6600 stock speed
P5n32-E SLI
i would like to have your thoughts weather i should run this card on this supply or not
please reply
12 answers Last reply
More about minimum 8800
  1. http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=442&model=1454&modelmenu=2
    Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with 12V current rating of 30A)

How many amps do you have on the 12volt rails?
  2. thanx for the link!
    the PSU is actually with a friend it iwll be here in a couple of days but its a 500 watt supply for sure
  3. Quote:
    thanx for the link!
    the PSU is actually with a friend it iwll be here in a couple of days but its a 500 watt supply for sure

Then call your friend and ask him exactly which namebrand and model number it is.
  4. Im pushing a EVGA 8800 GTX with a Antec True Power II 550. 2 12v rails @ 19A each.

My system under a full load is 352 Watts, leaving about 198 Watts to spare for whatever.
  5. how do you calculate the max PSU load in a machine ?????
  6. Power Supply Calculator v2.0
    Its more important that you know the AMPS available on the 12volt rails than the total wattage for the PSU. A 500w PSU might not have 28amps on the 12 volt rails.
  7. I cheated using my APC battery backup w/ Power Chute software. It can tell you your system load. 352 Watts is a little high because I have my LCD hooked up to it. None the less, it still leaves some room for another hard drive ect.
  8. Quote:
    Power Supply Calculator v2.0
    A 500w PSU might not have 28amps on the 12 volt rails.

i am guessing that the PSU has these ratings on them ??
    and thanx for the link
  9. Usually... but not always.
    If the make and model are known we can usually look up the actual specs on the 'Net.
  10. thanx again
    one more thing
    what does this 2 12V rails means ??? exactly
    pleain english would be preffered :roll:
  11. thanx again for the important piece of advice

i will keep that in mind once i see that PSU

thanx again :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics