• Blue-Ray

Votes: 83 40.3%
  • HD-DVD

Votes: 123 59.7%

• Total voters

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Im more partial to blue ray my self here and i can read tech sheets all day on google. What im interested in is the people views here of people who use it or have access to use of one or the other (prefferably both) and give me your opinions on both new tech's so i can further educate my self on the two. I will be getting one im just not really sold on either yet.

Opinions are welcome i would just like explinations or something to back it up if needed.

Would preffer to do with out the fanboy croud on this unless they can actualy have a discussion with out the words (noob ownz blah blah blah 1337 speaking kiddys ;)

Pros cons of both personaly opinions on why the doncumented pros and cons either arent important or dont really interfier with the tech. Pretty much any insight, views, opinions (i cant think of anymore words for the same thing) are welcome. ty for taking your time to respond.

Anyways sorry if this was already made.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Stupid question.

"which is better, VHS or BETA?" comes to mind. Beta was/is obviously better. But the 'market' swung to VHS. Many bad marketing decisions made at Sony at that time, but who's to say which will be 'better' this time out? In the long run, 'better' will be determined by media cost, burner cost, and 'compatability' as determined by the MPAA among others.

'Better' may also be determined by which group developes the best 'rootkit' for their product, and how poorly it is cross-platform compatable.

The day of 'consumer rights' is over. You'll buy what Big Brother says is better for you. So shut up, get over it, and patiently wait to be told which is 'better'.

End of rant.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Thats really why i asked for opinions. Not really sure what i said that warrented a shut up get over it comment however. If i wanted the end all which is better i would go for Blue Ray I was simply curious what other people thought and why. This is a discussion forum is it not?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
'shut up' was meant for consumers in general. As it was posted as a rant, not aimed at you, please take it as personally as you see fit.

But with computer costs in general going up 25% for high end parts this past 6 mths, the new vista going up almost 100%...

I said earlier... Rant over.

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Good question. Now, I'm no good at predicting the future, but I think it all hinges on the X 360 HD DVD player and the PS3. Witchever has more market share will also win the DVD war.

I'm a little partial to HD DVD, but I'm no fanboy or anything. Competition is what brings us the best of the best, so no one should be complaining.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Not complaining. and sorry croc thought it was directed to me bu whatever.

I'm only interested in peoples opinions dont take this thread as anything other then that.

ChrisBond

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Oh, man. HD-DVD all the way. Not a fanboy, I've seen both in action at the same time and the HD-DVD was a little better but not that much. Also, Blue-Ray cost way too much. I laughed when I saw the price for ONE! I'm cheap and I don't like to pay for expensive things unless I'm getting quality, like how long will it exist with my little sister's fingers and what knot. And from what I hear, this thing scratches and everything is gone. I can understand the price for new technology for the drives and all but at least add like wireless features or something. Come on, it's 2006, that should be a no brain-er. And why can't they make the whole TV resolution simpler like medium quality, high quality, and ultra quality? Personally, the way both camps are marketing the new formats won't win because the average user won't understand and just look for the "higher" number or letter. Like a friend of mine, said 1080p is better than 1080i because P is higher than I! (1080p is better than 1080i in some ways) But that's just a stupid reason why it's better! What I'm trying to say it that in order for either of them to win, they better make prices low and hardware simpler! And then we have a clear winner. Until then, we'll have to wait and see!

Simple Vote: HD-DVD.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I totaly agree about the price man believe me. I know new tech normaly is more expensive but yeah. I do believe as a standard of blue-ray though one requierment was the disks be "scratch proof". One question though is does hd dvd have as much data capacity or is it mearly just a form of compression i have been hearing about.

Your friend sounds kinda funny if thats really his reasoning behind 1080p being better :D

ChrisBond

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
HD-DVD has less capactiy than Blue-Ray. Because Hd-DVD is 0.65mm below the surface while Blue-Ray is 0.85mm below the surface (I think) even though they both use blue lasers to read and write. They both camps compress different but I forgot what they were. All I remember is that the HD-DVD compression is more efficient. Whatever that means! =p

Yeah, he's a dumbass when it comes to computers and such!

Quetz

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
My choice is very simple. Microsoft has control of one form of my entertainment being my computer. I will not hand off another to them that being my home entertainment system. So just becasue of that blue-ray wins for me.

As for which one is truly better that is a toss up I have seen both and cannot tell a real difference in them.

As to which one will win I suspect blue-ray will just because it has more studios supporting it. But even with that the marketing dept could pull something off and have hd dvd win. Or Sony could just screw up like it did with beta. I can agree that the ps3 and xbox will have alot to say aout which one might win since the ps3 is the cheapest way to get a blue ray player.

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Blue-ray has a more storage space per layer. I really don't care about the movies aspect. Data storage is more important, to me anyway. 25GB per layer, up to 3 layers per side VS. 16GB per layer and 2 layers pers side? Thats not a hard desision considering that they're almost the same cost.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Here is my entire argument, it is irrational and illogical:

Blu-Ray = Sony

HD-DVD = Not Sony

Ergo, I choose HD-DVD.

I have had enough dealings with sony's BS not working, breaking, being sent in for repairs and coming back broken that I am never supporting another sony product again. It makes little sense, but I am just so frustrated with their lack of innovation with respect to what a customer wants as opposed to what they can do.

Oh well, here is hoping to HD-DVD's win!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
That is a good point i did want it for the major reason of storage but movie quality is also something ill care about when the new standards actualy get some movies out.

My biggest gripe with sony is when they try and ruin games err i do i mean develop? seems to go hand and hand with them.

Allthough i havent had any problems with thier cd-dvd roms yet personaly i dont care for them im more partial to plextore when it comes to writers but i almost always have a sony dvd player for some reason.

ChrisBond

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
It's like this, you get a Blue-Ray and burnable Blue-Ray discs. Now, you burn all your data to it but when you want to transfer this data to a friend's computer, you won't be able too, because he has hd-dvd and no one can afford the damn Blue-Ray drive. As of now, how many Blue-ray drives shipped with companies such as Dell, HP, Gateway, etc? And now how many companies ship with HD-DVD drives?

One reason why I can't stand Blue-Ray is the damn DRM!
And we all know Sony for their rootkits and DRMs!

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Probably the one that gets hacked first will lose, which is unfortunate for those of us that want to make backups of movies that we actually own.

I personally hope HD-DVD wins just cause I'm so pissed off at sony over a variety of issues. Don't think that makes me a fanboy cause I'm not that fond of Microsoft either.

I think it will take 1-2 years until either format is mainstream enough for me to care. DVD's look great on my 30" CRT HDTV (to me anyway, maybe i would notice a bigger difference on an LCD, DLP, etc...?). Don't have the money to upgrade to a TV big enough for me to see the difference.

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
It's like this, you get a Blue-Ray and burnable Blue-Ray discs. Now, you burn all your data to it but when you want to transfer this data to a friend's computer, you won't be able too, because he has hd-dvd and no one can afford the damn Blue-Ray drive. As of now, how many Blue-ray drives shipped with companies such as Dell, HP, Gateway, etc? And now how many companies ship with HD-DVD drives?

One reason why I can't stand Blue-Ray is the damn DRM!
And we all know Sony for their rootkits and DRMs!

I don't care about transfering data to & from a friends comp. If that is needed I'll use my 500GB USB2 drive. I want Blue-Ray for it's archiving uses. But as for the "DRM" statement, discs you make are yours. "DRM" doesn't enter into it. Besides, do you honestly think MS hasn't put "DRM" crap into HD-DVD? Come on, wake up...

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
From what little I know, the blu-ray has higher capacity and more performance. Blu-Ray is also a different technology, so it requires all new tooling (higher price). I forget which "standard" has tighter digital rights management. I personally go for the blu-ray (for the data capacity) - until something MUCH better or much cheaper comes out, like holographic disks.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
It is true that M$ has put DRM into it, but they are much more reasonable (so far) in their implementation of DRM. Sony has a reputation for being overly restrictive and curtailing legitimate uses of media.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
One of my problems is i own alot of movies all of which are on VHS so yes i download the movies i own and (yes some i dont) i burned all my movies my problem lies now in it took about 25 disks to do so :-/

Though im not a fan of DRM not because i tend to get some software and movies ina questionable mannor but for the reason you stated. Normaly when i buy software or a movie i like to burn it and use the burns and leave the originals in a box if i ever need them.

Also i do agree superfly with that nice little rootkit thing i read about before ;) though i hope they learned from that.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I completley agree with you, however i think he was referring to sony and DRM in general, i.e. sueing children whos families have no money, etc...

Pissed me off when i put one of their audio CD's with a rootkit on it in my computer. Now i have to manually edit the registry to turn off all autoplay. Sony would trojan all their loyal customers just to make a buck. Very pathetic sony.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I completley agree with you, however i think he was referring to sony and DRM in general, i.e. sueing children whos families have no money, etc...

Pissed me off when i put one of their audio CD's with a rootkit on it in my computer. Now i have to manually edit the registry to turn off all autoplay. Sony would trojan all their loyal customers just to make a buck. Very pathetic sony.

100% agreed

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Seems sony has been good at suing people into poverty to progress thier own agenda. seems rather bully to me. Do they actualy gain anything from this? To me it would do way more harm then good. They act as if people are stealing company secrets and selling them to other companys. Before the anti piracy zelots bash me im not pro pirate even though i do it bit of it my self for what ever reason i see fit but im not into the if you can crack it why pay for it thing either.

For me downloading and cracking software is a trial. If i like the software i buy it if not i find something else. I realise thats questionable but since i really have no other option and trialware isnt really the salution to me its how i do it.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Well I am partial to HDDVD but I have to say that, quite simply, that both formats are likely to stick around for years to come. Both will try to prove they are better, and when one has more complaints than the other (say, over scratched discs, finicky hardware etc...), the format war will end...gradually. Seriously, there will be two formats for years to come. I personally think bluray will take more market share just because it is cost efficient to consolodate a gaming device with a high definition source for video media. For those in the market for a run of the mill high definition player, and not a game console, most will choose the one that is cheaper and is "better". If hd dvd is less expensive, and superior in picture quality, than it is pretty obvious who will be the "winner" in the long run. Blue laser isnt new technology, its been around for over a decade, and frankly the only thats "new" is the amount of money being spent on formats and litigation, oh, and sony being a douchebag (thats a fact). Blame sony for all of this because they are the ones who shut down talks between to negotiate a single format with toshiba+friends and decided to instead try to go at it again with betamax v.2.0. Moral of the story? Sony is a douchebag, microsoft actually looks like the good guy in comparison, and we all get scammed into paying 500+ dollars for BLUE lasers. One last thing, that exciting scratch resistant coating that had my pants suddenly less capacious? Sony backed out of that too, so much for having any reason to buy it. I would choose solely on which was more durable, as that is far more important than nit-picking over which format is compressed better, if i cant play the disc because a feather scratched it than i dont get to see that magnificient glory of the oh-so-sweet 1920-1080 pixel resolution.

Rant done. Winner-whoever makes a disc that doesnt scratch so #@$#en easily!