NTFS problem with files over 4 Gig

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hello,

I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that should be
4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it cannot accept files
over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough space on the disk. 15
gigs left, should be more than enough.

Well thats what I have, Anyone know what problem that is from ?

Please answer here
thanks

Ken
12 answers Last reply
More about ntfs problem files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Ken O" <lerameur101@Ya.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
    >When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that should be
    >4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it cannot accept files
    >over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough space on the disk. 15
    >gigs left, should be more than enough.

    You probably are trying to put this onto a FAT32 partition. You can't
    do that. As the error message told you, FAT32 can only handle files as
    large as 4GB. For larger files you must use NTFS.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    There is a newer version of Winrar that was just released.

    "Ken O" <lerameur101@Ya.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
    > When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that should
    > be 4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it cannot accept
    > files over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough space on the
    > disk. 15 gigs left, should be more than enough.
    >
    > Well thats what I have, Anyone know what problem that is from ?
    >
    > Please answer here
    > thanks
    >
    > Ken

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    NTFS has no single file limit, except for the total of the available space.
    I have made several backup files > 4 Gig, and one video capture file over 10
    Gig.

    However, the FAT32 file system has a limitation of 4 Gig, and I recall that
    a data DVD may also have that limit for a single file.

    Check the format on the disk by right-clicking on the drive letter (e.g., on
    C:) in windows explorer, then properties.

    Also, an older version of WinRAR might be hardwired to assume the FAT32
    limit.

    "Ken O" <lerameur101@Ya.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
    > When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that should
    > be 4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it cannot accept
    > files over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough space on the
    > disk. 15 gigs left, should be more than enough.
    >
    > Well thats what I have, Anyone know what problem that is from ?
    >
    > Please answer here
    > thanks
    >
    > Ken

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I think you will find that NTFS has a songle file size limit of 4GB.....

    Try splitting the RAR file into 2 * 2Gb files?

    "Ken O" <lerameur101@Ya.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
    > When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that should
    > be 4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it cannot accept
    > files over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough space on the
    > disk. 15 gigs left, should be more than enough.
    >
    > Well thats what I have, Anyone know what problem that is from ?
    >
    > Please answer here
    > thanks
    >
    > Ken

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, "NoWaySpammers" <tryit@itwontwork> wrote:
    >I think you will find that NTFS has a songle file size limit of 4GB.....

    I don't know what a "songle" file is, but the limit of FAT32
    is 4Gig, not NTFS

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    In news:OQmuYar7EHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    NoWaySpammers <tryit@itwontwork> typed:

    >I think you will find that NTFS has a songle file size limit of
    >4GB.....

    Nope, that's the FAT32 limit. NTFS files can be as big as you
    want them.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    http://www.mcmcse.com/windows_xp/guides/filesystems.shtml

    It seems to me, Winrar writes to a FAT32 file system.
    Maybe Winrar uses a Temporary Directory on a FAT32 drive,
    or maybe Winrar is buggy and can't handle files greater than 4GB ??

    "Ken O" <lerameur101@Ya.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
    > When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that should
    > be 4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it cannot accept
    > files over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough space on the
    > disk. 15 gigs left, should be more than enough.
    >
    > Well thats what I have, Anyone know what problem that is from ?
    >
    > Please answer here
    > thanks
    >
    > Ken

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    That could be it, I will try that, cause I have 2 HD, but everything is on
    the NTFS one . Maybe just unplugg the Fat32 see what is does.

    Ken

    "Ralf Baumhoefer" <fcbayern_owp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    > http://www.mcmcse.com/windows_xp/guides/filesystems.shtml
    >
    > It seems to me, Winrar writes to a FAT32 file system.
    > Maybe Winrar uses a Temporary Directory on a FAT32 drive,
    > or maybe Winrar is buggy and can't handle files greater than 4GB ??
    >

    > "Ken O" <lerameur101@Ya.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
    >> When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that should
    >> be 4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it cannot accept
    >> files over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough space on the
    >> disk. 15 gigs left, should be more than enough.
    >>
    >> Well thats what I have, Anyone know what problem that is from ?
    >>
    >> Please answer here
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> Ken

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thnaks for the help, that worked.

    ken

    > That could be it, I will try that, cause I have 2 HD, but everything is on
    > the NTFS one . Maybe just unplugg the Fat32 see what is does.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "Ralf Baumhoefer" <fcbayern_owp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >> http://www.mcmcse.com/windows_xp/guides/filesystems.shtml
    >>
    >> It seems to me, Winrar writes to a FAT32 file system.
    >> Maybe Winrar uses a Temporary Directory on a FAT32 drive,
    >> or maybe Winrar is buggy and can't handle files greater than 4GB ??
    >>

    >> "Ken O" <lerameur101@Ya.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
    >>> When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that
    >>> should be 4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it
    >>> cannot accept files over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough
    >>> space on the disk. 15 gigs left, should be more than enough.
    >>>
    >>> Well thats what I have, Anyone know what problem that is from ?
    >>>
    >>> Please answer here
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> Ken

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Ralf Baumhoefer wrote:
    > http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    > http://www.mcmcse.com/windows_xp/guides/filesystems.shtml
    >
    > It seems to me, Winrar writes to a FAT32 file system.
    > Maybe Winrar uses a Temporary Directory on a FAT32 drive,
    > or maybe Winrar is buggy and can't handle files greater than 4GB ??

    What a complete load of unadulterated baloney. Funny that it works on my
    system then with four drives all NTFS formatted. Why, I assembled a 5GB file
    only yesterday and it worked fine.

    on salads.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Welcome back miss Tick, I've missed you.

    > Ralf Baumhoefer wrote:
    >> http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >> http://www.mcmcse.com/windows_xp/guides/filesystems.shtml
    >>
    >> It seems to me, Winrar writes to a FAT32 file system.
    >> Maybe Winrar uses a Temporary Directory on a FAT32 drive,
    >> or maybe Winrar is buggy and can't handle files greater than 4GB ??
    >
    > What a complete load of unadulterated baloney. Funny that it works on my
    > system then with four drives all NTFS formatted. Why, I assembled a 5GB
    > file only yesterday and it worked fine.
    >
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Also, to refresh some people's memories. The original NTFS format from the
    original NT OS had a limit of 4 GB per file size. This was changed with
    updates to NT via SPs but the drive had to be reformatted with the updated
    OS. If a person takes a NTFS formatted drive from an original NT machine
    and plugs it into a 2000 or XP box the 4 GB size limit MAY remain. Ran into
    this problem on an NT Server system at work many years ago.

    "Ken O" <lerameur101@Ya.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have windows XP sp2 , on NTFS.
    > When I try to assemble a file that was in .rar into one file that should
    be
    > 4.7 G. I have a write error message from winrar that it cannot accept
    files
    > over 4G and that only NTFS accepts them. Not enough space on the disk. 15
    > gigs left, should be more than enough.
    >
    > Well thats what I have, Anyone know what problem that is from ?
    >
    > Please answer here
    > thanks
    >
    > Ken

Windows XP