Samsung: Apple Patent Wars a 'Loss' for Industry, Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbaltazar

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Samsung is right,on the long term it dum down the technologies world.everybody is like ,why bother we ll be sued anyway.check Kodak.they were weak financially and some wanted to sue Kodak to finish them off.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Both Samsung and Apple are failing to "Innovate". Apples innovation is a joke.

The only phone I seen recently thats actually different and brings something new to the table is that concept that had the OLED screen wrap around the one side, thats new, thats cool.

[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Wait till North Korea nukes the south.... then Apple will have won the "war" lol /jk[/citation]

Not really funny, to be honest.

Samsung is correct too, Apple needs to go away, permanently, they are crazy.

The truth about apple setting things back is startups, small businesses and medium sized businesses have to spend their entire budget in litigation against apple lawyers even if they may have won the case.

Apple is spending tons of cash on patents and protecting every common idea known to man.

hausman

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
(sorry if this ends up a double post... I don't see it):

It's been said before, but the issue isn't so much Apple, but more with the US patent system at large. When they will issue a patent for practically anything, innovative or not, the recipient has the right to sue on its infringement.

I don't agree with the system, or the heavy-handed legal pursuit of Apple or other already mega-rich corporations trying to force a monopoly and stifle creativity and competition. Something must change... something that will protect the inventor but not allow leverage for frivolous corporate lawsuits.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Samsung is correct too, Apple needs to go away, permanently, they are crazy.[/citation]
The USPTO needs a major overhaul. The burden of proof to get patents approved should be much higher, ideally subject to review by qualified professionals in the specific or closely related innovation domain rather than common pencil pushers.

This may increase the costs of filing patents by 10X but should reduce frivolous patents and related lawsuits along with drag on innovation by at least that much as well.

With all the patent stupidity getting thrown around, companies wishing to bring new products to market will be wasting most of their efforts researching patents and ways to get around them than developing their new products, which is a shame and not what patents were supposed to be for when the very principle was invented.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This argument applies to the tech sector, in general, regardless of the companies involved. This new paradigm of "success through litigation" only serves the patent holders and stifles innovation. Sad way to do business...

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Not really funny, to be honest.Samsung is correct too, Apple needs to go away, permanently, they are crazy.[/citation]
LOL you thought I like Apple... trust me I am with you, these patent lawsuits are a joke, Apple is not the only one abbusing the system either. I was just poking fun at their "war", when there is an actual threat of nuclear war from N. Korea being there latest nuclear testing that hit the news.

G

Samsung said in another interview that are happy NOT to innovate and just follow the market. They concede innovation to Apple.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]The only phone I seen recently thats actually different and brings something new to the table is that concept that had the OLED screen wrap around the one side, thats new, thats cool.[/citation]

Umm... wasn't that Samsung's prototype? (maybe I'm remembering it wrong)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Steve Jobs threatened Palm with patent suit to enforce no-hire policy.
This sentence explains what US patent and legal systems really are...

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]I heard that Apple is unrivaled in innovation and has no limits couple of days ago.[/citation]

You got to be kidding me. Samsung is huge Apple is nothing compared to Samsung. As far as innovation Samsung innovates and competes in every business sector. Samsung is not just TV or semi conductor chips, or phones its much much more then that.

Electronics industries

Samsung Electro-Mechanics
Samsung SDI
Samsung Corning Precision Materials
Samsung SDS
Samsung Techwin
Samsung Mobile Display
Samsung Digital Imaging

Machinery & Heavy Industries

Samsung Heavy Industries

Chemical Industries

Samsung Total Petrochemicals