DanZilla

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hi guys,

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes...

I have a bit of a problem with the new rig I put together a few weeks ago. It's going to be a little long-winded so apologies in advance. The specs are:

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium
C2D E6400 (Zalman CNPS9700 cooler)
2x ASUS 7900GS in SLI (Zalman VF900 coolers)
2GB RAM (Can't remember brand)
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Cooler Master 550W PS
WD 250GB HDD

Now one of the problems I've been having are random shutdowns during graphics intensive games like Company of Heroes, Oblivion, and to a lesser extent World of Warcraft. I thought it was due to overheating, which is why I installed the new coolers on the graphics cards and the CPU. This problem could be resolved by disabling SLI, leading me to believe there is a power supply problem.

The second problem is with the sound card. During games after a random amount of time the sound would be replaced by a high pitched squeal through the speakers, which could only be stopped by reseting the system. This could also be resolved by disabling SLI.

During my investigation of these problems I have found that both the video cards and the sound card are sharing the same IRQ - 16. I don't know very much about IRQ sharing but surely with these 3 cards on the same IRQ there's going to be conflicts? I think that this may be why the sound card is crapping out, and I can't test it because there are only 2 PCI slots and the other is being covered by the 2nd video card. Also, the bios does not allow me to change the IRQ of the expansion slots.

Both these problems are solved by disabling SLI, but I'm sure you'll agree that this is hardly an acceptable solution. Can any of you people who are so infinitely wiser than I please help me with this problem?

Thank you.

k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
this is one I havent heard of either.. will watch thread see if theres a solution :)

Quick question.. have you tried removing the SC and keeping SLI on?? using Onboard sound? Just to see if the comp restarts...

DanZilla

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hey there k2gremlin,

Yes I did try that. Obviously it solves the sound issues, but the random resets are unaffected

DanZilla

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
My temps are much higher than that...

Idle CPU is ~48C and the MB ~42C. The video cards also idle at ~42C. I've heard those are normal operating temperatures for this board since the latest bios revision. Also the ambient temperature in my room is ~25-30C so that could be a contributing factor (I don't have air-con...).

My temps are much higher than that...

Idle CPU is ~48C and the MB ~42C. The video cards also idle at ~42C. I've heard those are normal operating temperatures for this board since the latest bios revision. Also the ambient temperature in my room is ~25-30C so that could be a contributing factor (I don't have air-con...).
Youll need to check your power...could be causing the overheating as well,being that it may well be underpowered.Also if you have any other pci slots,or another that you can switch with your sound card,try that.That may move your irq settings for the sound card.