Games Keep Crashing

Bennetto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hello all, I recently did an OEM install from Windows XP Pro 32bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, I now cant run Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Half-Life source, or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare but Portal does run. When I start a game I get either the main menu or a splash screen for a few seconds then my screen just goes black. I downloaded new drivers and tested a new power supply. Anybody with any ideas for this compatibility issue this is driving me CRAZY AHH!!
Thanks

Sys specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+~2.567ghz
Mungen 2 Cooler
2gb DDR2 800mhz
Raidmax 450w PSU
GA-MA790-UD4P mobo
Antec 900 case

You realize that blindly blaming Windows only makes you look like an idiot, right? To say what you just said tells me (and I hope it tells everyone else on this forum) that you really don't know what you're doing. We don't even know what the error codes are, so no one can definitively say what the root cause of the OP's problem is yet. Please wait until you have all the info relating to a particular issue before you go off making wild accusations.

swifty, you can hate me for my last post all you want, but I get a little annoyed when people blame Windows without giving a reason or any evidence (sometimes also known as spreading FUD) as to why they feel that way. I admit, I could have worded my last post a little less aggressively, but with a reason such as "It's W7. Google it. 10 times worse than Vista was when it came out."... seriously, go scratch yourself.

Meanwhile, I am curious as to the results of those RAM tests if the OP took my advice...

mi1ez

Splendid

+1

+1

Bennetto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
First, download MemTest86+ and make sure there is nothing wrong with your ram. In the meantime, can you post some of the error codes you are getting so we can better diagnose the problem?

Mem test didnt have any problems, as for errors there are none the screen just goes black. I am thinking about reinstalling completely, if that doesnt work at least i have a shadow copy.

+1

Bennetto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
swifty_morgan

I would like to apologize for what I said it was NOT for you I typed the wrong name in I am very sorry. :(

I guess that is what I get for biting back. :(

Very strange... perhaps we are looking at a heat issue? There's a free utility from CPUID called HWMonitor - found at http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php. This should report all the temps you have sensors for in your system. Run the tool and then start playing a game. Play around for a few minutes or so and then minimize the game (if you only have one monitor). Pay close attention to the maximum reading for your video card. If that is getting too high, the card could be shutting itself off as a protective mechanism (but not necessarily cause a blue screen of death when doing so). Also may want to think about opening up the case and pulling the video card out (check the temps first though) and take a can of compressed air to the heatsink to remove any dust buildup. While you're at it, might want to do the whole computer if it has been awhile...

Bennetto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Very strange... perhaps we are looking at a heat issue? There's a free utility from CPUID called HWMonitor - found at http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php. This should report all the temps you have sensors for in your system. Run the tool and then start playing a game. Play around for a few minutes or so and then minimize the game (if you only have one monitor). Pay close attention to the maximum reading for your video card. If that is getting too high, the card could be shutting itself off as a protective mechanism (but not necessarily cause a blue screen of death when doing so). Also may want to think about opening up the case and pulling the video card out (check the temps first though) and take a can of compressed air to the heatsink to remove any dust buildup. While you're at it, might want to do the whole computer
if it has been awhile...

I have HWmoniter and all temps are good.

CPU Cores
■Core 0=30C
■Core 1=33C

GPU Core
■39C (40 is stock)

This is a recent upgraded rig so no dust lol.

My specs:
Gigabyte GA-MA790x-UD4P mobo
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+ ~2.57ghz
2gb DDR2 @667
Mungen 2 CPU Cooler
Raidmax 450w psu
Antec 900 case w/4fans

xxnideoo

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Are you getting the error related to atidxx32.dll? I have been haveing game crashed after about 30 minutes. I have read that rolling back drivers to 9.5 fixes the problem. I do not want to do that but I guess I will if I want to play CoH. Can you fix this problem AMD?

Bennetto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Problem Solved YAY!!!

The problem was actually MY firewall, Comodo. I just closed out of Comodo and away it went. My next step is to figure out what is causing Comodo to do this or find a new and better firewall.