EVERYTHING is watercooled, which set is the best?

Zeal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Hello i just posted a tread on the case forums about which case i should get, now i need to decide which radiator/pump i should get for my friends build. here are the specs

Intel core 2 quad qx6700(water cooled)
Asus p5n32-e sli(water cooled)
and 4 gigs of ram, OCZ PC2-9200 flex XLC liquid cooled ram
2x BFG geforce 8800 GTX liquid cooled
4x 150gb raptor X(water cooled useing Koolance, alphacool and 5.25 bay extension coolers)
Creative X-Fi Elite Pro Sound Card(i might water cool)

Now let me tell you about the HDD cooler, it's going to be sort of a sandwich design, gonna have a koolance hydrablock between the 2 drives and on the backside of each drive im gonna have an alphacool HDD cooler plus on the sides im gonna have a water cooled 5.25" HDD cooler that transforms a 5.25 bay into a 3.25 bay and has liquid cooling technology to cool the sides of the HDD here are the links to the coolers

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_242&products_id=20805
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_242&products_id=3750
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_242&products_id=4569

now im gonna have 1/4" tubing since the HDDs, memory, and VGA coolers come in that size. im gonna have each of the 4 ram sticks cooled individually, 2 VGA cards, chipset, CPU, 4 hard drives. they are all going to be water cooled.

what i need is for you guys to tell me which system to pick to power all these babies. i was thinking maybe
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_41&products_id=372&osCsid=22d55159cfa3655f8a954eb5e8c4e93a
the watercooled cases imo aren't powerful enough to cool every component please recommend me a water cooling system that has enough pressure and cools everything adequately. also silence is golden, i do not want too much noise. thank you in advance.

ALSO can you please recommend me a CPU and chipset cooled to go along with this build? much appreciated thank you.

Mondoman

Splendid
Nice, but you may be going overboard with the water cooling. :wink:
Really? There are so many more components he could have water-cooled, but didn't. For example, what about the CMOS backup battery? The keyboard? If you have a force-feedback controller, those can heat up, too...

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Personally, I find it a huge waste of money, time, reliability and overall loop performance to liquid cool your hard disks and your memory. Don't even get me started on sound card (wtf? who thinks of that?) Unless you are running two or three loops, you are just adding useless heat and restriction to your main GPU/CPU loop and will increase your temperatures of the parts that matter, and decrease your max overclock.

I would suggest rethinking what you plan to do, unless you get that $1800 Koolance system which is out of my area of expertise, and get yourself an excellent $400 system to cool your CPU/GPU/GPU/NB (if you really want to)

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
save your money...
I have done the water cooled hardrive, and all that and it isn't worth it...
if you must watercool.. water cool the CPU and the GPUs. everything else... some slow fans that you won't hear will work great...
my 320gig hd was running at 47deg before i put a small 80mm fan that i tore out of a dead powersupply (thin one) and i can' t hear the fan but my temperature has dropped 10deg. as for the watercooling system you have mentioned... 5 pumps? 6 120mm fans.. and you want silent...
they don't list specs as to how loud it is but i don't think it will be that silent... and as for the price tag... way to much....

ram doesn't get that hot.. granted they do get warm... I have a 120mm fan blowing across my ram and voltage regulators too keep it cool... don't know if it is doing anything because it isn't more stable then what it was.. just a little bit cooler... and the fan is only at 25% of its power...

do a lot more research... it is one thing to buy and build the system you want.. but a few months later realizing you wasted a lot of $$$ on stuff you didn't need...

Zeal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
yeah i might be going alittle overboard but i really need to water cool the hard drives, they will be operating 24/7 and air cooling is not an option because of where the computer will be stored, my friend and i have lost i believe 4 hard drives to over heating, we do alot of downloading, reading, and writing this computer will be operating 24/7 and has very important files it's in my best interest to keep the HDDs running cool and smooth. i know we lost 4 hard drives to over heating because 2 of them were 6 months or less old and they were on for a week straight. and the other 2, went out in front of my own eyes and i opened up the case, touched the hard drive and i burned myself(alil) at that point i knew it was the heat, these are performance hard drives running at full speed they will get very hot believe me. and the water cooled sound card i said it because there won't be much air flow and so the sound card, which heats up wont have proper cooling ive reading more then 5 articles on water cooling your sound card, mainly like ur VGA card. thanking for readin i'd appreciate some real answers instead of skepticism, bye

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I don't know how hot 4 raptors sharing the same bay kit will get, but overheating can indeed be a problem. The raptors aren't certified for more than 55C and will cease operating if they get warmer. If watercooling is needed for them I can't say, but they WILL get warm, and if they're stored in a closet or other confined space, they'll only take a few hours to get to a critical heat level.