Anyone notice the cut of AMD combo deals on NewEgg?

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I'm always watching NewEgg for the latest, greatest deal right now, as I'm getting ready in 2-3 months to build my uber gaming/do-everything system.

I noticed in the past couple days, NewEgg cut off most of their AMD Phenom II combo deals for the 955, 720, and 550 BE CPUs, including taking away the $15 instant discount to make the 550BE $99.99, as well as its free shipping.

Anyone know the skinny behind this? I'm intrigued. AMD is my first chip of choice, and the 550BE's OC capability and price, matched with a mobo capable of unlocking all 4 cores, was gonna be my soup de jour to be able to afford a multi-drive array, SSD, high-end Crossfire setup, etc.

Just wondered. Thanks for any info.

Newegg always puts out new combos at the first of the month. That's just business as usual.

It's pretty pointless trying to plan out a build 2 - 3 months in advance. Hardware changes so fast that what's recommended today probably won't be recommended in a couple months. If you're not going to be building for 2-3 months then you should check back a couple weeks before the planned build to see what the latest hardware and combos look like.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Never knew that about NewEgg...the first of the month thing. Of course, there are a ton of Intel CPU combo deals...just seems the AMD deals washed away. Maybe it's just my imagination. :(

As for being pointless...well...not really. I mean, the only real things that are likely to change are the CPU and/or GPU(s). I don't see myself choosing different HDs for the array, different case, HSF, etc. And unless the i5s come out at a great price-to-performance advantage...the mobo won't change.

Anyways, I was just curious about the NewEgg thing...I'm there almost every day looking at deals, combos, open box, etc. I wanna have in mind what all thngs are PC so that when a new item comes out, I can look at it and its price and give it a nod or dismiss it when the time comes for actually compiling the order list.

Thanks for your input :)

Latest posts