Axis 2100 starts flickering at dawn

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 23, 2004 2:14:59 AM

I recently bouht an Axis 2100 webcam. I placed the indoor camera on a window
sill looking outside to the place in front of our house. Everything works
fine until dawn, because the the camera starts to flicker, sometimes up to 5
times in a second. The whole image is swichting between two brightnesslevel
so that it looks a little bit like lightning. Every flicker starts the
motiondetection and it isn't funny to watch this camera for a longer time. I
tried all white balance settings without any changes. So i contacted the
Axis support with my problem. They told me, the 2100 is an indoor camera
which needs a minimun level of light to work, but she should not flicker in
the way I described. They gave me the advice to change the white balance but
without any changes. I asked them if the flickering is a normal behavior of
the camera but until now they didn't answer this question.
So my questions are:

Is the flickering normal or a failure of my camera?
If it is normal is there a way to fix this?

I am a little bit disappointed because the camera wasn't cheap, my former
Philips USB-webcam was cheaper but didn't have this problem.
Thank you in advance for any help
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:23:39 AM

fwiw... several network cams here from various manufactures;
have one CS varifocal lens here that no matter what cam it is mounted on
will at certain times during the day, or certain light levels,
flicker/stobe when the iris is stopped down more than just a minimal
amount - other lens generally don't flicker like this so I can only assume
the whole lens or perhaps just the iris is mounted at less than optimal
distance from the sensor. Some of the other cams will be noticed
occasionally flickering slightly at certain light levels but no where near
as much as that particular lens causes.

"Martin Meyer" <mamey@gmx.net> wrote in message
> I recently bouht an Axis 2100 webcam. I placed the indoor camera on a
window
> sill looking outside to the place in front of our house. Everything works
> fine until dawn, because the the camera starts to flicker, sometimes up to
5
> times in a second. The whole image is swichting between two
brightnesslevel
> so that it looks a little bit like lightning. Every flicker starts the
> motiondetection and it isn't funny to watch this camera for a longer time.
> tried all white balance settings without any changes. So i contacted the
> Axis support with my problem. They told me, the 2100 is an indoor camera
> which needs a minimun level of light to work, but she should not flicker
in
> the way I described. They gave me the advice to change the white balance
but
> without any changes. I asked them if the flickering is a normal behavior
of
> the camera but until now they didn't answer this question.
> So my questions are:
>
> Is the flickering normal or a failure of my camera?
> If it is normal is there a way to fix this?
>
> I am a little bit disappointed because the camera wasn't cheap, my former
> Philips USB-webcam was cheaper but didn't have this problem.
> Thank you in advance for any help

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:33:02 PM

Hello Martin,

I have installed several axis 2100 since 4 years with no pb, i really think
there is a problem with your camera, use the garantee.

This is an axis 2100 :
http://www.webcam-chambery.com/webcam/?tailleimage=huge...

regards

Mike
http://www.Axis-camera.com

"Martin Meyer" <mamey@gmx.net> a écrit dans le message de
> I recently bouht an Axis 2100 webcam. I placed the indoor camera on a
window
> sill looking outside to the place in front of our house. Everything works
> fine until dawn, because the the camera starts to flicker, sometimes up to
5
> times in a second. The whole image is swichting between two
brightnesslevel
> so that it looks a little bit like lightning. Every flicker starts the
> motiondetection and it isn't funny to watch this camera for a longer time.
> tried all white balance settings without any changes. So i contacted the
> Axis support with my problem. They told me, the 2100 is an indoor camera
> which needs a minimun level of light to work, but she should not flicker
in
> the way I described. They gave me the advice to change the white balance
but
> without any changes. I asked them if the flickering is a normal behavior
of
> the camera but until now they didn't answer this question.
> So my questions are:
>
> Is the flickering normal or a failure of my camera?
> If it is normal is there a way to fix this?
>
> I am a little bit disappointed because the camera wasn't cheap, my former
> Philips USB-webcam was cheaper but didn't have this problem.
> Thank you in advance for any help

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 12:40:00 AM

There is a problem - and the AXIS support person was right. The iris
is becoming overwhelmed with too much light at the time of day you are
receiving the flicker. The 2100 is an indoor camera rated for 10k lux
max - normal in door lighting. Normal indoor lighting means little to
no light change using normal indoor lighting. Not sun light or
changing daylight.

You are also pointing it through a window - never install a camera
looking through a window that you are expecting consistent results on.
There are too many ambient light changes outdoors. This camera isn't
even rated for outdoor use - AXIS will void your warranty if you place
it in a camera housing - again due to the nature of the iris. They
can tell when a 2100 has been burned out due to outdoor use.

Windows will amplify the outside light source as well as cause
ghosting. When the outdoor lighting becomes lower than the inside
lighting your window will pick up and reflect what ever is behind the
camera using the window as a mirror. I've seen this in school
security applications when they thought they would save money by not
buying an outdoor rated camera and a camera housing. The day time
images were poor and at night you couldn't see what was in front of
the camera - but you could see what was behind it.

You will need to buy an outdoor camera and housing. The AXIS 211 and
2110 are indoor/outdoor IP cameras that will work in a camera housing.
Sure, lots of people put cameras in front of windows - its your $400
gamble if you burn out your iris because you didn't read the specs.
Hope not.

Check out http://www.ipcamerareports.com for info on lots of ip
cameras.

!