Please Help Identify My Processor

Eniqmah

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hi,
I just bought an used E6700 from a local computer enthusiast for $300 for my new build. What I would like to do is find out more about the capabilities of this processor. The information edged into the processor reads as follows:
Intel Confidential
QPGA ES Malay
'05 80667PH0674M

Please point me in the direction relevant to this CPU's history and overclocking capabilities.
I appreciate the help.
Thanks a lot.

Eniqmah

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Notes on Intel HH80557PH0674M:

* Dual-core processor
* Binary compatible with 32-bit x86 software
* Bus frequency is 266 MHz. Because the processor uses Quad Data Rate bus the effective bus speed is 1066 MHz
* Part HH80557PH0674M is an OEM processor
* Part BX80557E6700 is a boxed (retail) processor

According to the above, this was an OEM. But according to the below, this was a "Qualification Sample"?
What does that mean?

QPGA (Intel Core 2 Duo)
Processor type Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor number E6700
Processor core Conroe
Part number HH80557PH0674M
Processor markings 80557PH0674M
Package type 775-land FC-LGA6
Socket type Socket 775 (socket LGA775)
Processor speed (GHz) 2.66
Bus speed (MHz) 1066
L2 cache size (MB) 4
Manufacturing technology (micron) 0.065
Core Stepping B1
CPUID 06F5h
Core multiplier 10
Virtualization Technology Yes
SpeedStep technology Yes

Notes on sSpec QPGA:

* Dual-core processor.
* Qualification sample.
* This part supports EM64T (Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology).

Secondly,
On the processor, right below the code 80557PH0674M
is a series of numbers, but the person I bought this thing from has SCRATCHED it off Completely.
Thirdly,
Right below are 2 series of numbers right next to the black and white tag, these markings have also been BLACKED OUT with permanent marker.

What is the person Hiding and am I getting ripped off here?

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I'm sure some of the gurus here can identify the processor accurately, (and this scratching and blacking out sounds damn suspicious) but all I can tell ya is that I wouldn't buy a used C2D from my own brother. It's most likely been OC'd to within a nanosecond of frying.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
If I were you, I would return that. ES means Engineering Sample or Qualification Sample which means that it is NOT the final product, in other words it was used for testing procedures by people like Toms Hardware or Anandtech.

Also, as orsino said, that might have been overclocked or might have no warranty so what I recommend you is to return that and for the same price get a New E6600 Retail (Boxed) from ZipZoomFly.

Eniqmah

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hi,
Thank you for the reply. So even if I put it in and it works (which I haven't done), I should not keep it around? I really thought it was too good of a deal to pass up and, of course, this is the catch.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well since Im not into that topic that much I really dont know what to tell you. I can only explain you what you have in your hands.

There is a possibility that it works as a normal processor, but you would always like to have a final product and your three year warranty.

If for any reason you would like to keep that processor (because it was a nice deal at $300) I suggest you go to the guy and tell him to test it in front of you so you can see if it works. Also, if it works doesnt mean is free of defects for example it might have been overclocked or many other reasons... but the most important, why would he sell it to you and for that price? is something I dont understand, he could have got more on eBay dont you think?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi,
I just bought an used E6700 from a local computer enthusiast for $300 for my new build. What I would like to do is find out more about the capabilities of this processor. The information edged into the processor reads as follows:
Intel Confidential
QPGA ES Malay
'05 80667PH0674M

Please point me in the direction relevant to this CPU's history and overclocking capabilities.
I appreciate the help.
Thanks a lot.
As others have said...be leery. What he has likely done, is what a lot of overclockers do...namely...they'll buy up half-dozen chips from various retailers/eBay, overclock them all to find the best one or two, then flog the rest. So there's a pretty good chance that it's really been pushed/abused (possibly with extreme cooling/voltages)... and could either die on you in a week, or last for years. GL :)

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
It's a sample, not for resale- Whoever it was sold for profit a CPU they weren't supposed to (or maybe even had it sold to them like this...) and so the identifying markings were scratched off.

That means the original assigee of this CPU had it stolen, sold it, gave it away or some other loss of possession they shouldn't have *allowed*.

It doesn't in any way suggest the CPU is problematic or nearly fried like others have suggested, for your purposes you should assume it's just another used CPU, and you should test it to determine/verify that it works properly, and if it doesn't, get your money back.

Eniqmah

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Thank you for the insight.
I just feel extremely uncomfortable with this chip, especially since it didn't even come from a retailer in an official release. I am attempting to return it now. A shame, because this is such a great deal not withstanding this issue and the guy who sold it to me seems nice and not shady.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Returning that and buying an E6600 new boxed from Zipzoomfly wont make a difference, those 200mhz of difference between the E6600 and E6700 can be achieved by overclocking.

Give it back and buy a retail one, thats what I recommend.

Eniqmah

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Yeah,
He graciously accepted it back. He bought it on Ebay as an engineering sample, it is unlocked, which is the best part about it.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Wow. An engineering sample. Hard to come by. I would have installed it and ran CPUz to find the stepping on it. If it were a B1 revision then it's a keeper. They revised the chip just before shipping. The change made was minimal. All motherboards were geared to run on the B1 revision and a majority of issues they were having were caused by the last minute change to B2. Add to that the fact that the cpu is completely unlocked, and you have a winner. I've had a few ES's and was pleased with them, for the most part.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Engineering samples are an overclockers dream, sometimes... Occasionally the multiplier is unlocked to be able to go higher. Maybe it isn't true with the C2D, but I have seen a Celeron 351 ES that had multiplier unlocked up to 22x. Hit 5.2 ghz on crappy Thermaltake Bigwater SE kit.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
But I dont think eniqmah is an overclocker otherwise he would have know about it. Still, there is no warranty when you overclock an ES right? so if you burn it, thats it. There goes your dreams...

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
That processor is probably worth a good deal of money in the right hands if it is indeed the engineering sample you speak of, if you had the money to spare it may have been worthwhile to hang on to it until further research could be done...

rupert86

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I've seen lots ES's running for many years (those Pentium IIs are still running), so maybe durability is not such a big problem. The South Asian market has lots of these ES's. (I think the mobo makers has literally hundreds of them so to dispose them off they flog them on the grey market).

Eniqmah

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I am not an overclocker. Indeed I was contemplating taking the chance on it, but the guarantee of a retail proc makes me feel better about one that is a sample and scratched off. Still, for a novice like myself, the difference that can be gained from overclocking this particular model is probably out of my reach. Besides, it's been 4 months since the launch of these procs, who knows what has happened to this thing.
Any how, thanks for your inputs guys. I went backto Fry's and paid $30 more for a total of $330 on an E6600. Now I have to head over to the overclocking department and fiddle with it. Again, thanks for the help.