Concerns over temperature

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I have a E6400 with a DS3 and a AC7 cooler. After initial installation the temps (using TAT) were about 35-40 idle (lower number if I just turn on PC and check) and about 58-60 under load. I thought it was a bit high but didn't seem to be out of wack with some other numbers I've seen.

I did my first o/c yesterday and the temps jumped about 5C across the board. Now I'm concerned that I cannot do much o/c (the o/c I did was just to raise the FSB to 333x8). I hate the idea of having to go pull the HS off but if it isnt seating properly would I see much higher temps than this even?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
First of all, anything under 75c is considered extremely safe.

I hate the idea of having to go pull the HS off but if it isnt seating properly would I see much higher temps than this even?
Definitely worth a try, gimme several hours after doing so for the goop to burn in somewhat.

Mondoman

Splendid
Did you install the F7Pro with the motherboard out of the case, so you could check to make sure the pins were all the way through the holes? If not, there's a good chance the hsf is not completely installed. What kind of fan speed profile are you using for the F7Pro?

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Initially I installed it with the MB out of the case....but

I installed it backwards :oops: so I had to take it out once I realized that. By this time I had hooked everything up. I did reinstall it (removed the old AS5 and put in in right) but I did it with the board inplace the second time. It "looked" to be set right. I was relucant to disconnect everything and remove the board since I did get the computer to post the first time (and it is my first home built).

If there is enough opinions that suggest that the temps are too high I'll probably have no choice but to pull it out to at least check it. As a further update, over the weekend it appears that while the idle temps are a bit higher and the temps when using TAT to stress the chips are as well, the temp under load from other software, even if the load is 100% seems to be similar to before (max about 60C).