core 2 duo - best motherboard NOT for overclocking

hello,

I'm looking for a really stable motherboard for a core 2 duo e6600.

I will not be overclocking it. Mainly I'm gonna be using this new computer (Digital Audio Workstation) for audio production -recording/mixing, etc.

Can anyone recommend me a very stable motherboard that has worked for your e6600?? something that wont give me problems and will be stable for years to come.

about budget, I would like to keep my Mobo budget no more than $150. (I've heard the intel D975xbx Mobo are stable but it is priced at $200).

I'm a newbie at building custom computers and any help is appreciated.

thanks.
21 answers Last reply
More about core motherboard overclocking
  1. Quote:
    hello,

I'm looking for a really stable motherboard for a core 2 duo e6600.

I will not be overclocking it. Mainly I'm gonna be using this new computer (Digital Audio Workstation) for audio production -recording/mixing, etc.

Can anyone recommend me a very stable motherboard that has worked for your e6600?? something that wont give me problems and will be stable for years to come.

about budget, I would like to keep my Mobo budget no more than $150. (I've heard the intel D975xbx Mobo are stable but it is priced at $200).

I'm a newbie at building custom computers and any help is appreciated.

thanks.

You don't need something such as a 975xbx, you'd be fine with an Asrock 945 model. In the UK you can get one for around £40 (around $70)! You should only be looking to purchase something as expensive as the 975xbx if you're into overclocking, which you stated you weren't.

Here's a good example of a nice cheap stable motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

This one is priced at $57, and will do EVERYTHING you want it too do.
  2. to be honest, I 'm a little weary about getting a $57 Mobo for a $308 CPU. I've had some bad experiences with cheap motherboards in the past and common sense tells me to get something a bit better quality. This computer will be used for audio projects and stability is a must.

Really I'm willing to spend from $100 - $150 for a quality, stable motherboard.

btw, i thought none of the intel MoBo's allowed overclocking since it voids the warranties for the CPUs ?
  3. Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 ATX X3000 $145+6 11/24/06
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128018

This will work well and comes with free graphics.
  4. that gigabyte Mobo looks solid....except that it doesnt have firewire and I definitely need firewire....

any other suggestions?
  5. No matter which one you pick, I would go for the 965 chipset since it's pretty much the latest technologies. True, you can go with older chipset like the 945, which are cheaper, but I think it's best to pair the latest technologies together.

Asus P5B-E is a pretty good choice and I think it has firewire as well, I don't know the price by heart by it should fall within you budget.
  6. Quote:
    that gigabyte Mobo looks solid....except that it doesnt have firewire and I definitely need firewire....

any other suggestions?

MSI P965 Platinum LGA775 ATX Conroe $135-15+7 11/26/06
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130055

No free video, but you get the 1394a...
  7. Here you go...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121035

reviews point to just what you are looking for.

Good luck!
  8. If you want a solid board with no thought of any overclocking ever, why not go with an Intel motherboard. That should certainly be conservative enough, no? And while I don't know, I've been told that Intel boards are stable.

I'm in the US so the link below is to a listing on newegg.com because it's "what I know how to use". It costs ~$113US shipped. It uses the P965 chipset and has firewire.
    Intel BOXDP965LTCK Intel P965 Express ATX

-john
  9. This thread is precisely on time as I'm also looking for a mobo for a hobby-related audio workstation. I was considering getting the Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 with a Xeon 3070 or E6700 or X6800. Firewire remains important. Is there any reason not to get the DQ6, I figured it'd be an solid foundation for a year or so. I will eventually want to do some overclocking...it is indeed a hobby machine. :D
  10. The only reason NOT to get a DQ6 would be if you planned on using ATI Crossfire. 965 chipset boards with 2 PCI-E slots run the primary through the northbridge @ x16, and the secondary through the southbridge @ x4.
    So if you will not plan to use Crossfire, the DQ6 is an excellent (and expensive) motherboard.
    It offers quiet heatpipe/sink cooling, good connector placement, very tight 12 phase voltage regulation and high quality caps.

Take a look at the similar DS3 and see if it fits your needs. It is quite a bit cheaper but also uses good quality parts. Both are good overclockers.
  11. Thanks for the feedback. I actually ordered the DS3 yesterday as it seemed to get more positive reviews on NewEgg than the DQ6. I found a nice Syba firewire card that actually has the header http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16815124034 ...which makes for a complete solution for my needs.
  12. ...and soon my Dell XPS 600 Pent D 840 will be relegated to the task of home file server and word processing...a suitable task for the Pent D 840 I'm thinking.

I'm trying to resolve whether to get the Xeon 3060 or Xeon 3070...it seems like the 3060 is the better price/performer but the 3070 is simpler a little faster. $200+ faster I doubt...but still...I'm wanting the 3070. :roll:
  13. Why the Xeon rather than the E6xxx?
    The specs seem identical. Is the HSF on the Xeon better?
  14. Quote:
    Why the Xeon rather than the E6xxx?

I think the Xeon is just a newer stepping/revision with some slight increase in peformance. I figured its worth the extra couple of bucks to get the later revisions, so that's why the Xeon.
  15. Quote:
    Why the Xeon rather than the E6xxx?

This is what someone pointed me to:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/3060-E6600-ftopict207592.html

it seems the Xeon 3060 is a just a little "cooler" and in most test performs slightly better than the E6600. ...meaning it might overclock even better?
  16. If you want a stable system with no overclocking, get an Intel board. I found this board after doing some research for a friend. If you delete the idiots who try to use the wrong RAM (and then blame the MB) or try to overclock, you'll see that the board actually gets rave reviews.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121052
    Just heed Intel's guideline for the RAM. Basically, save your money and buy 1.8v "value" RAM, not the performance stuff.
  17. I,m using an Intel DG965WH board and it rocks(make sure you use RAM on Intels QVL),great multimedia features.Check out my system,it runs like a Swiss watch!

C2D E6600
    Intel DG965WH
    ASUS EAX1950PRO 256MB
    KVR800D2N5K2/2G Kit Dual channel
    WD 250GB YS SATA II 16MB
    Seasonic S12 550W PS
    Plextor 755
    XP PRO SP2
  18. I decided on an Asus Striker Extreme. It seems solid so far, it'll take this cheap Corsair Dominator C4D RAM to 880Mhz @ 4-4-4-12 1T...something the Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 couldn't do...and then there's the features. I'm not one to seriously overclock (I'll never take this Xeon past 2.93GHz) but it seems this board has a bunch of options for overclockers.
  19. Uh.......why are you in this thread????? What does what you're doing have to do with the subject of this thread?
  20. Quote:
    Uh.......why are you in this thread????? What does what you're doing have to do with the subject of this thread?

Just to get your attention. It worked. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking Core Product