NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Alright. I ordered a Silverstone Temjin 07 black (because it's classy) case with a window. It's not here yet, but it should be arriving tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm also about to order the following items to install into the case:

Thermaltake Sound Dampening Kit
Vantec 120 mm Fan Silencer (also 92 mm and PSU varieties as well)
Scythe HDD Stabilizer for 5.25" Bay (for 150 GB Raptor)
HDD Anti-Vibration Screws (for two 7.2k rpm storage drives)
Silverstone 5.25" Black Front Panel (for future 3.5" drive, fan controller, etc.)
Scythe 3x5.25" Bay 120mm Case Fan for Middle 3 5.25" Bays
Rebel Alliance Window Applique
Blade, Chrome Atomic, Chrome Biozhazard, and Girl Fan Grills

Later on, I plan on purchasing the high end fans that I'll replace the stock Silverstone ones with: Scythe 120 mm and 92 mm fans

Other than that, I'll be purchasing a 750 or 850 watt power supply (probably Silverstone, although Thermaltake did look intriguing as well). My processor cooling will be a silent FreeZone CPU Cooler (it's gotten fantastic reviews).

I just want to know - is there anything else I can do to make my computer more silent? I've opted against internal lighting as I'm taking this PC to college next year, and I don't want to cause any problems with the roommate. Oh, I just calculated that the case, power supply, modifications above, and cooling will run me about... $1100. Is that not a kickass setup? :twisted:

I may also go for the Tidewater or other VGA cooler if the video cards run hot, though I'm hoping I don't have to worry about them (I'm hoping that the GeForce 8900s / R6xx's will run decently cool). I'm actually going to install the components sometime in June or July ($4000 system budget baby!), but I'd like to get the case set up ahead of time so I have one less thing to worry about.

Oh yes, do you have any suggestions to make? I've only ordered the case so far, and I'd like to get some input before I order the rest of the case mods.

sailer

Splendid
It looks good overall. The only way I can see to lower the noise much more is to watercool, but the pumps and fans for that make some noise of their own.

I'd go for a 850wt psu minimum. I'm planning a build myself and from what I've seen on the calcualtors, if I do a SLI/Xfire setup, I may need as much as 1000wt to run everything I have. Those cards eat a lot of power quick, expecially with some overclocking.

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This thing is an absolute monster! Here you can see the SST-TJ07 dwarf my brother's old HP case (the SST-TJ07 is a formidable 22" tall):
ResizeWizard-1.jpg

If you have any worries whatsoever about size, forget about 'em! You can easily fit an 8800GTX into this baby. Here is a picture of a 12" ruler with a bit of breathing room even from the back of the case to the 5.25" drive bays (the ruler is on the motherboard tray):
ResizeWizard-2.jpg

G

Sweet I'll show picture of my SST-T09-BW when it get here =).

Shouldve gone with the Zalman 100% passive case =)

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Can we agree that Silverstone owns? Lian-li? Pah! Silverstone all the way! Here's the review I wrote on Newegg:

Pros: The Silverstone Temjin 07 is an amazing case, simply put. The frame is downright the sturdiest I have ever felt. The included fans are quiet and push a decent amount of air, although I'm going to be replacing them with four Scythe S-Flex 120mm fans anyway. The finish seems to resist picking up fingerprints and the oils on your fingers, and the thing feels like a tank. I think I could drop it off of my roof, and it would survive to live another day. Also, most of the edges are smooth, except for where the motherboard has the rear USB, ethernet, etc. ports, but that won't be a problem once a motherboard is installed. It has incredible airflow in the case, and the interior is huge! I measured fifteen inches from the back to the front 5.25" drive bays, so this thing will easily be able to accommodate an 8800GTX with lots of breathing room. There is also a ton of room to hide your cabling and some clips to hold wires in place. Lastly, this thing is beautiful!

Cons: The mesh at the bottom and top, while very sturdy like the rest of the case, will let sound escape very easily. However, if you're paying $3xx for a case, you're going to make your system quiet anyway! Also, while it's not really a con, I had to use a screwdriver on the hard drive bay "hand" screws because they were really tight. Also, you might want to consider getting a dust filter for the top fans at least, because the top mesh will just let dust float in all over your system. Then again, what does a little canned air hurt to use once in a while?

Other Thoughts: This case is perfect. I wanted a strong, classy, and gorgeous case, and I got it. It's not like those pseudo-gamer cases that look like junk and are made out of plastic or something. This case makes my 20" widescreen monitor look small (thankfully I'm getting a 3007wfp-hc as soon as they're available). Silverstone really hit the nail on its head this time, even more so than on the SST-TJ03. My only doubt about this case had been the lack of a window, but now the SST-TJ07 has a window! Dual 8800 GTXs in SLI would look beautiful, let me tell you. This case is the best $340 I have ever spent. If you have any doubts, forget about them. You won't be sorry if you get this case! I absolutely love it.

G

hehe lian-li are nice, but didn't like their airflow systems.

But yeah SS is really great! BTW their PSU are not that good.
Great Reviews and I think he does review one or two SS.

Well have fun with your build, should look realll good =)

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Updates already!

Here is one of the three 120mm fan grills I'm going to get, and we can't forget the two 92mm fan grills I'll get later:

ResizeWizard-4.jpg

Also, I'm really proud of this (I'm such a geek lol):

ResizeWizard-3.jpg

I modded the case window with an applique, and I'm happy it turned out as well as it did. I was half afraid I'd have some trouble with it, but it went really smoothly. It does have some air bubbles, but the website said that they'll disappear in a few days (apparently it happens all the time). :D

That guy gave the Silverstone 850 watt a 9/10.

G

Oops didn't read the review of that SS, heard stories about other PSU. But if jonny said so! I trust his review a lot!