Single 8800 GTX or Dual SLI 8800 GTS

convict11

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I am deciding which of these two to go with, I can not go dual 8800 GTX because it is a little to beyond my budget but would be able to get a single or the dual sli 8800 GTS's. Does anyone have any advice? Which setup would outperform the other considering everything else in the system would be the same, play with a 22' monitor also.

convict11

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
How much of a performance drop is it from dual 8800 GTS from GTX's, just curious. Will there be a noticeable difference?

pauldh

Illustrious
Dual GTS would be faster, BUT... I would do a single GTX as that option is much cheaper and that card can pretty much max out any game now, even at high resolution.

convict11

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Ok I have one last question I know this probably should be in the sound card section but it has a little to do with this also. is there a very noticeable difference in onboard audio and the audio of a Creative Sound Blaster SB0550 X-Fi Elite Pro. I was thinking on skimping out on the sound card and possibly just going with the SLI 8800 GTX's, unless the sound just makes it that much better. Anyone have any thoughts? I have always used onboard audio so not really sure if the sound card makes a big difference in the sound.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Well, if you're really picky about the sound quality, then you will notice a difference.

Onboard sound is pretty good nowadays, and I don't think you'll notice a difference.

Sound card will also take some stress off the CPU and RAM, but you won't notice that either.

pauldh

Illustrious
What do you need the x-fi elite pro for? Unless you are doing audio creation and need the X-Ram and i/o box, just get a X-fi xtreme music. It's a great gaming card and can be found way under $100. If you want a front i/o panel, the platinum is nice and can be found pretty cheap too.

I just can't imagine dual 8800GTX and integrated audio. :?