Smc91352

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I wanna build a computer and so far I don't know much about what I need.
First, I wanna advise you to not let money get in the way of your suggestions.
I'm looking for to build a computer that will last and be easy to upgrade in the future.

I will be using:

CPU:Core i7 920, upgrade later
GPUs:(2) GTX 295s
Hard Drives:WD VelociRaptor/primary 2TB or more HDD/Secondary
I'm mainly asking you guys because I don't have the patience to check compatibility.
Please suggest parts that you think are the best, as well as your favorites.

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
So far it looks like you have an idea of what u need and want. Just make sure u get Triple Channel DDR3 for your i7. I would buy either Corsair or OCZ ram.

Video card buy either EVGA or BFG tech. (lifetime warranty)

Motherboard , either EVGA, ASUS, or INTEL. (3 year warranty) Socket B is slang term for the i7 (1366), this is the only socket the current Gen of i7 will work on.

Make sure you buy Serial ATA Hard drives and Optical Drives. (seagate 5 year on HDD)

I wouldnt suggest running RAID 0 for novices and it doubles your chances for failure and loss of critical data.

If your going to put the machine together yourself probley the hardest thing will be figuring out how to set up your front panel (read mobo documents). They practically made seating the CPU retard proof now.

Also make sure u have a decent Power Supply. about 750watts should do the trick tobe safe. I only buy PC power and Cooling (OCZ).

Also a common mistake i used to see while i was working fulltime in the industry was people not putting the stand offs behind the motherboad and just screwing the motherboard right to the back panel. MAKE SURE U PUT STAND OFFS IN. If you dont your lucky if u dont smoke the motherboard.

The GTX295 does require extra power. Make sure u plug it into your powersupply.

From what i have experienced it never pays in the long run to buy cheap brands. Such as PNY, Kingston, MSI, Jetway, Foxconn, Ultra, Codegen, and any thing that looks like a super super good deal and price probley is too good tobe true.

Cases i like to buy Cooler Master. (Centurions or CM690). decent price and nice cooling.

Last but not least if you run into trouble never feel affraid togo to a local PC service center or Retailer and ask questions or bring your PC in if u cant get it working. It probley will cost u some money but its worth it for the frustration it will save u.

screenfried

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
AZZA Solano 1000 Full-Tower Advance Cooling Case w/ Dual 230mm Fan

OTHERBOARD: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

Asus VW266H 26" (25.5" Viewable) Wide Screen Full HD 1080p TFT Active Matrix XGA LCD Display 1920x1200 w/ HDMI Interface)

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express [+65] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express [+129] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor

Not sure what to do about HDD'S tho and your graphics is better think mine will run cooler tho also i ll only use prolly one 230mm fan

i could use some feedback also ?

screenfried

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
oh forgot
Corsair hx1000w PSU should be good for a few upgrades and really cool on this one

and i went cheap on ram for now
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory(Corsair Dominator

also when choosing a monitor if gamer look for least m/s response time (cause of blur)