DS3 what northbridge HS&F?

luckyblur

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I have heard many people saying that you need a fan on the DS3 northbridge if you plan to overclock.

What heatsink and fan is best? I'd rather not rig up or glue a fan to the stock heatsink unless that what the cool kids are doing these days :wink:

DS3

luckyblur

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I also might add that I might not need a fan for my northbridge since the Antec Performance I P180B Black has a 120mm fan at the top and back of the case so I assume there will adequate air flow across the northbridge? Image of the case below.

11-129-017-06.jpg

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I just installed a Tt Extreme Spirit II. I dont know how to monitor NB temp. But, I know the heat sink was very hot to touch before, and when I touch the base of the Tt it is only warm. I had to remove my mobo to install. Here is a pic of it installed.

Qp

n0odle

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
seriously just double-side tape a 40mm to the NB it works =o

the temp on my S3 NB was too hot to touch, with the 40mm on its alot cooler, just barely warm.

ajfort

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I just installed a Tt Extreme Spirit II. I dont know how to monitor NB temp. But, I know the heat sink was very hot to touch before, and when I touch the base of the Tt it is only warm. I had to remove my mobo to install. Here is a pic of it installed.

Qp
what case is that?

to op, get a small fan 5v will be enough and tie it on the nbridge. this is the one i'm going to tie on my if the 650i doesn't oc above 400fsb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185039

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
what case is that?

it is a Lian-Li PC-6070 The air duct did not fit after installing the Scythe Mine, I relocated to one of the two 80MM fans up front (where the removable HD cage was) and directed air to the ram area. Not allot of bling with this case, but it is quiet and easy to work in.

Qp

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
n0odle's solution is the most practical and cheapest solution.
Even though im quite interesting in seeing how a 80mm fan attached to the side of the of the case would work.

n0odle

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
If its blowing directly at the NB it works every well. I know cuz i tried it but not stuck on the side. I put a 80mm fan sitting on the back of my video card which faces directly at the NB when the case is sitting up. That was my solution till i got the 40mm fan. It work better actually, with the 80mm in the NB's face the NB heatskin was actually COLD. The reason I stopped because I put a VF900 on the card so I cant put a fan on the back anymore and I didnt feel right with a loose fan in my case. 8O

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Shouldn't the Tt NB fan be exhausting to the rear of the case?

Well this case exhaust is just on top of the video card (another two through and out the ps). That fan is not like other fans i have seen, its a wheel fan that pulls air in the middle and exhausts out the side. This is the only way I could orient the Tt because of the Scythe Mine. The Tt is blowng onto the back of the vid card and then getting sucked out quickly by the wheel fan.

Qp

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I checked mine and found the air it pushes is negligible really. It's more like a baby fan, I doubt it would do much to the temps of the vid card now that I look at it closer.

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I checked mine and found the air it pushes is negligible really. It's more like a baby fan, I doubt it would do much to the temps of the vid card now that I look at it closer.

Yeah, my only choices were towards my scythe mine or video card. I figured that would be the best direction. It probably warms the back of the video card up a bit, but I think the heat sink/fan overcomes this.

Qp