New rig - Spec Check/Advice

slacker56

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hey,

First things first, a little bit about what I'm in need of... I'm looking to build a system for about $1500 Canadian. I'm building it to be able to do some gaming, and to run things I use for school (Solidworks, Catia, Ansys, Fibresim, etc.). Eventually I'll also be dual booting this (win/linux) but it's not a huge concern since I have 2 other boxes I can use to satisfy my linux needs...

I would like to be able to do some moderate overclocking, but I'm by no means in need of being able to push the limits of my system. I'm also building this system with the intention of upgrading to a DX10 card in about 4-6mnths when the prices come down.

I'm looking to get a couple of suggestions on parts for my needs, and maybe some ideas where I might be able to cut some costs to bump up other areas...

My Specs as they stand now:

E6400 C2D
Gigabyte 956P-DS3
2GB OCZ DDR2 Dual Channel XTX PC5400
Seagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB
XFX GeForce 7600GT
Cooler Master Centurion 5
Thermaltake TR2 550W

Not Sure where to start with a monitor - any suggestions? and I will most likely be adding a second one because of the amount of CAD and FEA I do...

Peripherals aren't of a concern

Without a monitor it comes in at around $1200 Canadian.

Any other candians out there know of any solid places for parts other then Tiger Direct, since newegg doesn't ship to canada (unless I misread their site)?

Thanks for the help/input.

fatchicken

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'm looking at getting a very similar system.

When I get it, I will probably use directcanada.com. The prices are cheaper there than anywhere else I've come across in Canada.

I don't have any comments on your parts (since they are almost identical to what I am thinking about), but I am checking into a cheaper 400W FSP power supply which is receiving rave user reviews on NCIX.com. Now keep in mind that I am not a gamer so I won't be using the 7600GT full out, and I likely won't upgrade to a DX10 card. But there is a cheap 7600GT card on that site for CAN$123.

Good Luck

TRENDING THREADS