Lian Li A10A Cooling Diagram

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Just ordered my new computer, and I'm a bit stuck on how I should best arrange my fans to get optimum airflow.

So far, this is the best I can come up with:

11-112-121-08a.gif

Can anyone offer any suggestions that don't involve heavy modding(ie a dremel)?

Color representations:
Red arrows = Active airflow
Purple arrows = flow of heated air (convection, or just moving from heat generation spot)
Blue = a possible HD Cage I might add in the future that has a 120mm fan.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Haven't recieved it yet. What orientation are the fans in by default?

I'm also looking at an aftermarket cooler. Possibilities include the Scythe Ninja plus, thermalright ultra-120 and maybe an Arctic cooling freezer 7.

If the default orientation is like my diagram, do you think it would be possible to just let the case fans ventilate the ultra-120 or ninja to passively cool the cpu? That would be pretty neat.

I would like to eventually move on from the stock cooler on the e6600. The plan is to overclock to around 3ghz, hopefully 3.5-3.6 eventually. Is this doable with the Ninja or Ultra-120 when they're passively cooled? Might also have to worry about clearance....the top fan along with the evga 680i motherboard doesn't allow for much breathing room :T

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I'm not 100% sure of the stock orientation of the fans in the case, but I would bet money that the top "blowhole" fan is exactly what the name states... a blowhole. I think it is best to have the highest fan in a case to be an exhaust fan, I heard somewhere that heat rises.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I understand that heat rises. The issue I'm getting hung up on is...does the heat rising to the top really outweigh the benefits of having a fan blowing colder air directly onto my cpu hsf area? Its kind of like....why do the stock coolers have the fans blowing onto the heatsink, and not pulling air away from it and blowing it away from the motherboard? If everything was ducted, I'm sure it wouldn't matter which way the airflow is going...but in this case nothing is ducted, so direction would have an effect on temperatures.

The heat that rises from the rest of the computer would probably be minimal, as well, wouldn't it? There's only that from the motherboard, the hard drives, and whatever leaks from the video card (2 slot cooler that exhausts outside of the case). Granted, the motherboard northbridge puts out a good amount of heat directly aimed at the cpu, but the rear exhaust fan should take care of that as well as any heat from the Freezer 7 pro I plan on putting in, right?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Lian li is a high qualit case maker dont worry about the airflow just get good fans.

Now if that was a full tower case like mine i would have just said i found my new case :eek:

Unfortaintly all the cases i want from lianli anymore have the board upside down and backwords :eek:

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I'm downgrading from a Lian Li full tower. No point in having a PC-75 when the A10 holds just as many drives and uses 120mm fans.