Cannot Drag-n-Drop files... (!)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Greetings to all... Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season....

So here's my dilemma:

I just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop (yay!) and am busy installing all
my software on it. Today, I installed a whole bunch of stuff, after which I
noticed that I can no longer drag-n-drop files from one folder to another
(that is, I can click and drag the icon, but the cursor turns into the
circle with the line through it and refuses to let me drop the file where I
want to). The only way I can move files now is to 'Cut' (Ctrl-X) the file,
navigate to the folder I want to move the file to, and 'Paste' (Ctrl-V).

Obviously, this is a lousy work-around, and I *need* to find out how to fix
this problem!!
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??

By the way, I'm not sure which installed program may have done the damage,
since I installed a whole bunch back-to-back before noticing the drag-n-drop
problem. The programs I installed are: Office XP, OfficeXP service pack 3,
Adobe Acrobat 6, Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustrator, in-design,
go-live), Microsoft ActiveSync for PocketPC, Stardock's ObjectDesktop
(winFX, WindowBlinds). I also installed drivers for my Wacom tablet and two
printers.

I hope someone out there is able to help me out!
THANKS!!
And happy new year!
~Alessandro aka ?WhyMe?
8 answers Last reply
More about cannot drag drop files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,

    Try with uninstalling the theme programs.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    <?WhyMe?> wrote in message news:eRieuZw7EHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Greetings to all... Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season....
    >
    > So here's my dilemma:
    >
    > I just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop (yay!) and am busy installing all my software on it.
    > Today, I installed a whole bunch of stuff, after which I noticed that I can no longer drag-n-drop
    > files from one folder to another (that is, I can click and drag the icon, but the cursor turns
    > into the circle with the line through it and refuses to let me drop the file where I want to).
    > The only way I can move files now is to 'Cut' (Ctrl-X) the file, navigate to the folder I want to
    > move the file to, and 'Paste' (Ctrl-V).
    >
    > Obviously, this is a lousy work-around, and I *need* to find out how to fix this problem!!
    > Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??
    >
    > By the way, I'm not sure which installed program may have done the damage, since I installed a
    > whole bunch back-to-back before noticing the drag-n-drop problem. The programs I installed are:
    > Office XP, OfficeXP service pack 3, Adobe Acrobat 6, Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustrator,
    > in-design, go-live), Microsoft ActiveSync for PocketPC, Stardock's ObjectDesktop (winFX,
    > WindowBlinds). I also installed drivers for my Wacom tablet and two printers.
    >
    > I hope someone out there is able to help me out!
    > THANKS!!
    > And happy new year!
    > ~Alessandro aka ?WhyMe?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    <?WhyMe?> wrote:

    > Greetings to all... Hope everyone is having a happy holiday
    > season....
    >
    > So here's my dilemma:
    >
    > I just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop (yay!) and am busy installing
    > all
    > my software on it. Today, I installed a whole bunch of stuff, after
    > which I noticed that I can no longer drag-n-drop files from one folder
    > to another (that is, I can click and drag the icon, but the cursor
    > turns into the circle with the line through it and refuses to let me
    > drop the file where I
    > want to). The only way I can move files now is to 'Cut' (Ctrl-X) the
    > file, navigate to the folder I want to move the file to, and 'Paste'
    > (Ctrl-V).
    >
    > Obviously, this is a lousy work-around, and I *need* to find out how
    > to fix this problem!!
    > Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??
    >
    > By the way, I'm not sure which installed program may have done the
    > damage, since I installed a whole bunch back-to-back before noticing
    > the drag-n-drop
    > problem. The programs I installed are: Office XP, OfficeXP service
    > pack 3, Adobe Acrobat 6, Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustrator,
    > in-design, go-live), Microsoft ActiveSync for PocketPC, Stardock's
    > ObjectDesktop
    > (winFX, WindowBlinds). I also installed drivers for my Wacom tablet
    > and two printers.
    >
    > I hope someone out there is able to help me out!
    > THANKS!!
    > And happy new year!
    > ~Alessandro aka ?WhyMe?

    Try uninstalling the repellent Dell Media Experience from Add/Remove
    Programs. This application causes this error and removing it usually
    fixes things.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    > Try uninstalling the repellent Dell Media Experience from Add/Remove
    > Programs. This application causes this error and removing it usually
    > fixes things.
    >
    > Malke

    Removing the Dell Media Experience did not solve the problem.
    ~Alessandro.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Try with uninstalling the theme programs.
    > Anando

    WinFX and WindowBlinds (by Stardock, part of Object Desktop) were not to
    blame.
    ~Alessandro.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    It might have been disabled? Try
    Line 233 right

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi,
    >
    > Try with uninstalling the theme programs.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > <?WhyMe?> wrote in message news:eRieuZw7EHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > > Greetings to all... Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season....
    > >
    > > So here's my dilemma:
    > >
    > > I just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop (yay!) and am busy installing
    all my software on it.
    > > Today, I installed a whole bunch of stuff, after which I noticed that I
    can no longer drag-n-drop
    > > files from one folder to another (that is, I can click and drag the
    icon, but the cursor turns
    > > into the circle with the line through it and refuses to let me drop the
    file where I want to).
    > > The only way I can move files now is to 'Cut' (Ctrl-X) the file,
    navigate to the folder I want to
    > > move the file to, and 'Paste' (Ctrl-V).
    > >
    > > Obviously, this is a lousy work-around, and I *need* to find out how to
    fix this problem!!
    > > Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??
    > >
    > > By the way, I'm not sure which installed program may have done the
    damage, since I installed a
    > > whole bunch back-to-back before noticing the drag-n-drop problem. The
    programs I installed are:
    > > Office XP, OfficeXP service pack 3, Adobe Acrobat 6, Adobe Creative
    Suite (photoshop, illustrator,
    > > in-design, go-live), Microsoft ActiveSync for PocketPC, Stardock's
    ObjectDesktop (winFX,
    > > WindowBlinds). I also installed drivers for my Wacom tablet and two
    printers.

    > > I hope someone out there is able to help me out!
    > > THANKS!!
    > > And happy new year!
    > > ~Alessandro aka ?WhyMe?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > It might have been disabled? Try
    > Line 233 right

    Applying this registry tweak did not solve the problem.
    ~Alessandro.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    As it should be.

    --
    Happy New Year,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Try with uninstalling the theme programs.
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    > ===========================
    > The above doesn't work with WXP-Home SP1. One error comes up after
    > another.
    > The My Pictures folder is not under C:\ in WXP- it's under My Documents
    > causing one error after another. I tried several different paths - none
    > worked.
    >
    > FS~

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    | > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote:
    | > > Hi,
    | > > Try with uninstalling the theme programs.
    | > > Folder customizations
    | > > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    | "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote
    | > The above doesn't work with WXP-Home SP1. One error comes up after
    | another.
    | > The My Pictures folder is not under C:\ in WXP- it's under My Documents
    | > causing one error after another. I tried several different paths - none
    | > worked.

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote:
    | In above message I forgot to add the PATH on my WXP version for the pic I
    | tried.
    |
    | Documents\My Pictures\Pics - Stationary\pebbles.jpg
    |
    | Using the C:\ did work either since there is no My Documents\My Pictures
    | under C:\

    ~ FreeSpirit ~,

    Windows Explorer
    Right-click pebbles.jpg
    Properties
    Location:

    With your mouse, highlight the text after "Location:"; copy that to
    clipboard; now paste this full path of "pebbles.jpg" into that Notepad file
    called desktop.ini in the folder that you are customizing.

Microsoft Windows XP