Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot Drag-n-Drop files... (!)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
December 31, 2004 5:00:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Greetings to all... Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season....

So here's my dilemma:

I just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop (yay!) and am busy installing all
my software on it. Today, I installed a whole bunch of stuff, after which I
noticed that I can no longer drag-n-drop files from one folder to another
(that is, I can click and drag the icon, but the cursor turns into the
circle with the line through it and refuses to let me drop the file where I
want to). The only way I can move files now is to 'Cut' (Ctrl-X) the file,
navigate to the folder I want to move the file to, and 'Paste' (Ctrl-V).

Obviously, this is a lousy work-around, and I *need* to find out how to fix
this problem!!
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??

By the way, I'm not sure which installed program may have done the damage,
since I installed a whole bunch back-to-back before noticing the drag-n-drop
problem. The programs I installed are: Office XP, OfficeXP service pack 3,
Adobe Acrobat 6, Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustrator, in-design,
go-live), Microsoft ActiveSync for PocketPC, Stardock's ObjectDesktop
(winFX, WindowBlinds). I also installed drivers for my Wacom tablet and two
printers.

I hope someone out there is able to help me out!
THANKS!!
And happy new year!
~Alessandro aka ?WhyMe?

More about : drag drop files

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:17:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Try with uninstalling the theme programs.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
Microsoft Certified Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


<?WhyMe?> wrote in message news:eRieuZw7EHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Greetings to all... Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season....
>
> So here's my dilemma:
>
> I just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop (yay!) and am busy installing all my software on it.
> Today, I installed a whole bunch of stuff, after which I noticed that I can no longer drag-n-drop
> files from one folder to another (that is, I can click and drag the icon, but the cursor turns
> into the circle with the line through it and refuses to let me drop the file where I want to).
> The only way I can move files now is to 'Cut' (Ctrl-X) the file, navigate to the folder I want to
> move the file to, and 'Paste' (Ctrl-V).
>
> Obviously, this is a lousy work-around, and I *need* to find out how to fix this problem!!
> Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??
>
> By the way, I'm not sure which installed program may have done the damage, since I installed a
> whole bunch back-to-back before noticing the drag-n-drop problem. The programs I installed are:
> Office XP, OfficeXP service pack 3, Adobe Acrobat 6, Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustrator,
> in-design, go-live), Microsoft ActiveSync for PocketPC, Stardock's ObjectDesktop (winFX,
> WindowBlinds). I also installed drivers for my Wacom tablet and two printers.
>
> I hope someone out there is able to help me out!
> THANKS!!
> And happy new year!
> ~Alessandro aka ?WhyMe?
>
>
December 31, 2004 10:06:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

<?WhyMe?> wrote:

> Greetings to all... Hope everyone is having a happy holiday
> season....
>
> So here's my dilemma:
>
> I just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop (yay!) and am busy installing
> all
> my software on it. Today, I installed a whole bunch of stuff, after
> which I noticed that I can no longer drag-n-drop files from one folder
> to another (that is, I can click and drag the icon, but the cursor
> turns into the circle with the line through it and refuses to let me
> drop the file where I
> want to). The only way I can move files now is to 'Cut' (Ctrl-X) the
> file, navigate to the folder I want to move the file to, and 'Paste'
> (Ctrl-V).
>
> Obviously, this is a lousy work-around, and I *need* to find out how
> to fix this problem!!
> Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??
>
> By the way, I'm not sure which installed program may have done the
> damage, since I installed a whole bunch back-to-back before noticing
> the drag-n-drop
> problem. The programs I installed are: Office XP, OfficeXP service
> pack 3, Adobe Acrobat 6, Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustrator,
> in-design, go-live), Microsoft ActiveSync for PocketPC, Stardock's
> ObjectDesktop
> (winFX, WindowBlinds). I also installed drivers for my Wacom tablet
> and two printers.
>
> I hope someone out there is able to help me out!
> THANKS!!
> And happy new year!
> ~Alessandro aka ?WhyMe?

Try uninstalling the repellent Dell Media Experience from Add/Remove
Programs. This application causes this error and removing it usually
fixes things.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Related resources
December 31, 2004 3:36:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> Try uninstalling the repellent Dell Media Experience from Add/Remove
> Programs. This application causes this error and removing it usually
> fixes things.
>
> Malke


Removing the Dell Media Experience did not solve the problem.
~Alessandro.
December 31, 2004 3:38:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> Try with uninstalling the theme programs.
> Anando

WinFX and WindowBlinds (by Stardock, part of Object Desktop) were not to
blame.
~Alessandro.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 5:49:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It might have been disabled? Try
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Line 233 right


--
Tumppi
Reply to group
=================================================
Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
(translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
=================================================



"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
news:o 4$q6iw7EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Try with uninstalling the theme programs.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
> <?WhyMe?> wrote in message news:eRieuZw7EHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Greetings to all... Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season....
> >
> > So here's my dilemma:
> >
> > I just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop (yay!) and am busy installing
all my software on it.
> > Today, I installed a whole bunch of stuff, after which I noticed that I
can no longer drag-n-drop
> > files from one folder to another (that is, I can click and drag the
icon, but the cursor turns
> > into the circle with the line through it and refuses to let me drop the
file where I want to).
> > The only way I can move files now is to 'Cut' (Ctrl-X) the file,
navigate to the folder I want to
> > move the file to, and 'Paste' (Ctrl-V).
> >
> > Obviously, this is a lousy work-around, and I *need* to find out how to
fix this problem!!
> > Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??
> >
> > By the way, I'm not sure which installed program may have done the
damage, since I installed a
> > whole bunch back-to-back before noticing the drag-n-drop problem. The
programs I installed are:
> > Office XP, OfficeXP service pack 3, Adobe Acrobat 6, Adobe Creative
Suite (photoshop, illustrator,
> > in-design, go-live), Microsoft ActiveSync for PocketPC, Stardock's
ObjectDesktop (winFX,
> > WindowBlinds). I also installed drivers for my Wacom tablet and two
printers.
> >
> > I hope someone out there is able to help me out!
> > THANKS!!
> > And happy new year!
> > ~Alessandro aka ?WhyMe?
> >
> >
>
>
December 31, 2004 5:49:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> It might have been disabled? Try
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> Line 233 right


Applying this registry tweak did not solve the problem.
~Alessandro.
January 2, 2005 5:49:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

As it should be.

--
Happy New Year,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com


"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o OTrWaK8EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o 4$q6iw7EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Try with uninstalling the theme programs.
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
> ===========================
> The above doesn't work with WXP-Home SP1. One error comes up after
> another.
> The My Pictures folder is not under C:\ in WXP- it's under My Documents
> causing one error after another. I tried several different paths - none
> worked.
>
> FS~
>
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:19:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

| > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote:
| > > Hi,
| > > Try with uninstalling the theme programs.
| > > Folder customizations
| > > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

| "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote
| > The above doesn't work with WXP-Home SP1. One error comes up after
| another.
| > The My Pictures folder is not under C:\ in WXP- it's under My Documents
| > causing one error after another. I tried several different paths - none
| > worked.

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote:
| In above message I forgot to add the PATH on my WXP version for the pic I
| tried.
|
| Documents\My Pictures\Pics - Stationary\pebbles.jpg
|
| Using the C:\ did work either since there is no My Documents\My Pictures
| under C:\


~ FreeSpirit ~,

Windows Explorer
Right-click pebbles.jpg
Properties
Location:

With your mouse, highlight the text after "Location:"; copy that to
clipboard; now paste this full path of "pebbles.jpg" into that Notepad file
called desktop.ini in the folder that you are customizing.
!